Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittoerrent

• 03-12-2005 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi Im trying to use bitorrent, but am getting very low speeds if I succeed in connecting at all. I have searched the forums and not found anything of any help.

Im on Digiweb DSL 1 (1MB/S)
    Im using Azureus, AVG AntiVIrus, Windows Firewall, Zyxel 660 Prestige DSL Router and a BElkin Wireless G router.

I have forwarded ports on both the dsl and wireless router and on windows firewall (as far as im aware ive done this properly) But yet I am still getting "NAT ERROR" and or very low speeds.

Any help would be appreciated, preferably some sort of guide!!

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I have a similar setup (DSL modem and wireless router) and I find that all you need to do is enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) on both your wireless router and your DSL modem. Its pretty easy to find the setting. Usually disabled by default, which could be the problem you're having.

There's also the option of going to Control Panel => Add or Remove Programs => Add / Remove Windows Components => Networking Services (double click) then tick the boxes for "Peer to Peer" and "UPnP interface". Not sure what difference this makes, but no harm having them enabled anyway.

BitComet fully connects for me with this configuration. Azureus always gave me hassle though, telling me there were NAT problems.

Also bear in mind that BitTorrent performance fluctuates a lot. For example, transfer rates are very slow when you first start a download, but pick up later (because you don't have anything to share). Download speed depends a lot on your upload speed, so if you have a 128kb upload line then download speed will suffer. Sometimes trackers are down. And if there aren't many seeders but lots of leechers then it'll take for ages. Still, a very effective technology if you have a little patience. I have a 2mb download line and even with a slow upload line I still get pretty good performance.

Hope that helped, good luck.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

zuma wrote:
    I think you should turn off UPnP
    Not sure which you have?!?!

Why?

UberNewb wrote:
    Why?

Disable UPNP on your torrent client(I use bitcomet), setup a static IP on your computer, free ports 50000->50050 or so on the router connected to your static IP.

On Bitcomet port forward to 50023 or so and tell us what happens.

UPNP only works with Winxp and compat routers and computers behind the router can tell the router to open ports as needed.
    This is not needed if port forwarding and opening the forwarded port with Bitcomet is needed.
    Having it enabled with port forwarding already enabled might cause problems...so just turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Thanks for the reply. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I can't get to play pes5 online due to my router...........
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

i had the same problem. a friend told me to download bitcomet and to make a new folder and call it (seed) make sure seed in in small letters. set downloads to download to this folder. my speeds are fast now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

still no joy, done what both of you have said, and only getting arounf 10k/s with Bitcomet

where did you put the seed foldeR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Trampas

I use Bitlord to download torrent files. I get around on avg 50kb/sec.

I am on BT 1meg line.

I opened the port suggested by the portforward website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i had the same problem. a friend told me to download bitcomet and to make a new folder and call it (seed) make sure seed in in small letters. set downloads to download to this folder. my speeds are fast now.
    this has to be a joke,

thanks to zumas links i followed it up with my router tutorial [actually realised how old the firmware was aswell - updated] and speeds went up quite high, very happy. Cant believe i was putting up with 15kbs ! when i used to get 60+ on a 512 line, on 2mb now !
    test2.jpg

Could the problem have something to do with the fact that Im forwarding the ports in both the dsl and wirless router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well try just do wireless, as your connection gets DNS and IP automatically and you configuring them manually could be causing intefierence? blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You need to set one of them to "bridge" mode, so that the first one in the chain sends all of its packets to the next one. Then forward the ports on that one. Eg,

DSL Router ->Bridging Mode-> Wireless Router ->Ports Forwarded-> You/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Are you sure you understand how BitTorrent sharing works? My girlfriend always complains about speed issues (like you do) but the problem is that she is mongotastic when it comes to computers. (note: we share the same internet connection, and I have little problems.)

Are you checking to see how many seeders and leechers there are before you download a particular torrent?
    Have you set your Maximum Upload Rate to a generous value?

Also, be aware that your download speeds will often be crappy on BitTorrent. It's not consistant.

Placebo wrote:
    this has to be a joke,

thanks to zumas links i followed it up with my router tutorial [actually realised how old the firmware was aswell - updated] and speeds went up quite high, very happy. Cant believe i was putting up with 15kbs ! when i used to get 60+ on a 512 line, on 2mb now !
    test2.jpg

Who da man????

Yeah I can max out my 2Mbit connection(210KB) on some smaller torrents (<200MBytes).
    On 1GByte+ torrents it slows down a lot unless it is VERY well seeded!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Sorry for such a stupid question, but when your forwarding ports, Which IP address do you use? Is it the one to your router or the one to the outside world?

Have to be careful when using BitLord. Its a modified version of BitComet which fakes upload information when contacting the tracker. ie it pretends you only have a tiny percentage of the file you're downloading in order to get it faster off other seeders. As a result, trackers are now starting to block it.

I don't use port forwarding at the same time as UPnP but all the computers on the network are using Windows XP and the router and modem supports it, so no problems there. I'm happy enough with the download speeds.

And I agree with dublindude, bit torrent is very inconsistent. For example, I have one download stuck at 88% for the last two days, I have to wait for a seeder to come back online before I can resume. Then if I want to be fair, I should seed it till the other person in my peer list trying to download this file has 100% as well! There's a fair bit of etiquette involved ;-)

well im not too sure what i did but im not getting an nat error on port 50050 anymore, i can now see remote hosts too. I just messed around in the dsl router and set it up again from scratch, im using the static ip it gave me, 192.168.1.33 (not 192.168.2.2 as was given by the wireless router) but i dont seem to be able to access my wireless router on 192.168.2.1 anymore ... curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭kmurphy

if i keep getting permission denied on most of the torrents from numerious sites is it the pc .tracker or what?

curious.....after 70%mostly..

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote:
    this has to be a joke,

test2.jpg

no placebo it is not a joke. i was using µTorrent and only getting speeds of 3-5kb. i didnt know how to port forward so a friend said to download bitcomet and now i'm getting speeds up to 80-100kb when connections are good.

put the (seed) folder where ever you like. just set the dounloads to save in the folder.

kmurphy wrote:
    if i keep getting permission denied on most of the torrents from numerious sites is it the pc .tracker or what?

curious.....after 70%mostly..

If u get permission refused then its probably because the client that you're using has been blacklisted by the tracker. Like I said before, if you use BitLord or another bit torrent client that fakes info, the tracker might refuse you or ban you (your IP). Sometimes, BitComet gets blocked too because BitLord is based on BitComet. BitComet is 100% kosher tho.

Best bet is to use Azureus or the official bit torrent client, altho I'm pretty happy with BitComet too.

Advertisement