Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a sewing machine

• 03-12-2005 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've decided to invest in a sewing machine - a 'brother' one.

Just wondering who sells them in Ireland apart from Argos, so I can compare prices?

Also if I get it at Argos, can anyone remember if they do a big sale on everything in January? I can wait till then.

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lidl / aldi had them a while back for about €70

Anyone know if you can you get old machines anymore ?
    - the newer ones are fairly flimsy and have computers and stepper motors instead of good old mechanical links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Thanks, but I want one with the digital bits!€70 wouldn't get great quality.

Singer have a shop in Cork - they fix old ones so they could point you in the right direction.

Or a wanted ad on a shopping centre noticeboard could probably find you one that someone never uses anymore but is in working order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

There's a Singer shop here in Limerick and also Lena's yarn shop sells sewing machines. Lena is a rip off merchant though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

try looking for 2nd hand machines on e-bay/ uk, just make sure it's in good conditition before you purchase it, but you can get some good deals as machines can be quite pricey in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Thanks.
    Just heard of Lena's in Limerick but handy to know it's a rip-off merchant!!Apparently they have a sale on at the mo, so maybe it'll reduce prices to reasonable!

I think I'll just stick with Argos and hope they have an all-round sale in January so I can say even 20 or 30 quid!

Does anybody know if they reduce their craft products significantly in January?Wouldn't be thier top sellers, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭WalkswithDeath

there is a great store just of o connel st in dublin its the second left on the left hand side of the street the sell new and second hand i bought one there for 80 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bettyb

Can u b more specific about where to buy a machine on O Connell St in Dublin? thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

There is a sewing machine store on Parnell Street opposite the back of the Ilac Centre. They sell wool there also, the woman in there is lovely.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

is that not Hickeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 muffee

Du-More Embroidery in Sligo are Brother Agents. They were selling them to the Home-Ec Student Teachers in Sligo. They do full service on them as well. Maybe they will have 2nd hand ones.
    Good luck with the sewing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

snorlax wrote:
    is that not Hickeys?

No, it's behind the Ilac centre on Parnell Street. More sewing machines than you can swing a cat at!!!

Advertisement