Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online map of cheap petrol in Ireland! pumps.ie

• 03-12-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I've put up a web site that maps petrol stations by county and allows people to update it with the petrol and diesel prices! The usual suspects are all there, Tesco Dundrum, Texaco Clonkeen road etc!

Please add any stations we have missed out or update any stations that you know the price of!

Cheers!

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Nice site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Nice site

Cheers! know any stations we're missing?!

Feel free to add some or update others!

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Excellent work on the site, great use of technology.

Fair play to you.

alleepally wrote:
    Excellent work on the site, great use of technology.

Fair play to you.

Cheers! we are up to 170 garages! woohoo!

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Quality! Cheers Mercury_Tilt! I hope more people adopt a garage like this! it really is the best way to keep them up to date!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Nice use of google maps, not sure how you can guarantee it's up to date though.

I notice Shamoil is listed in Sligo where there couldn't be a station. Prices look cheap but someone would waste a fortune in petrol trying to find it.

GG66 wrote:
    Nice use of google maps, not sure how you can guarantee it's up to date though.

I notice Shamoil is listed in Sligo where there couldn't be a station. Prices look cheap but someone would waste a fortune in petrol trying to find it.

To start with we can't really guarantee accuracy unfortunatly, but I'm hoping we might get the cheaper garages involved to help with that!

So Shamoil is not real eh? Doh, I got suckered! I'll nuke it.

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are 2 other shamoils on the map. One is in the middle of the M50!

Bond-007 wrote:
    There are 2 other shamoils on the map. One is in the middle of the M50!

Cheers! those shamoils are popping up all over!

I will nuke them now!

J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cernunnous

It would be great if you could combine your map with the content provided by www.irishfuelprices.com. I don't see the point in having competing consumer sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

don't use boards to advertise.

Cernunnous wrote:
    It would be great if you could combine your map with the content provided by www.irishfuelprices.com. I don't see the point in having competing consumer sites.

Its a fair point. I saw ifp.com a while back and liked it, I even did a konfabulator widget to access it. Then I had a few ideas for how it could be done better so I just thought I'd do it myself!(It beats moaning about "why don't they do this that and the other";) ) Hopefully the bit of competition will help ifp to add more features to their site!

I'd be more than happy to use the IFP data but I think we would need to find a way of mapping their station details to ours which might be a bit tricky given that there are no unique identifiers for stations in their system by the looks of it. Also the fact is that IFP.com is an advertisement for the web design company that built it (From what I can tell) so I think they would probably rather have people coming to their site rather than sharing out the data to another.

J

Sandals wrote:
    don't use boards to advertise.

I cleared it with the mods first so hopefully this isn't considered spam, its just a web site that people might find useful considering the aim of the ripoff forum!

Appologies if you feel it is inappropriate.

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Maybe its just me, but I can't find any stations on the map at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Nice technology - real question is how to keep it up to date. Would be great to find a way to integrate with irishfuelprices.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How do you move stations that are not in the correct places on the map?

denismac wrote:
    Maybe its just me, but I can't find any stations on the map at all!!

what browser are you using? Some people with Internet Explorer were having problems! do you see a littel yellow warnign sign in the bottom left of the screen? what error does it give you ifyou double click that?

Cheers!

J

RainyDay wrote:
    Nice technology - real question is how to keep it up to date. Would be great to find a way to integrate with irishfuelprices.com.

its a question alright! unfortunatly IFP.com doesn't have the stations registered, yu can see that certain stations are repeated in their list. This makes it hader to integrate! also I'm pretty sure they would not like it if I was to take their prices and display themon pumps.ie!

J

Bond-007 wrote:
    How do you move stations that are not in the correct places on the map?

I don't really have a way of doing that at the moment! Can you tell me which one is incorrect and I'll move it in our database?

Cheers!

J

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Dundalk is the biggest town in Ireland and you don't have one station of Dundalk on your site, but otherwise it is a good site!! ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Dundalk is the biggest town in Ireland and you don't have one station of Dundalk on your site, but otherwise it is a good site!! ;)

Whats stopping you adding some from Dundalk? How do you think the other ones are there? We are all submitting our own local ones.

I have not been to Dundalk in a while! can you add in whatever stations you know of there? This is really a site for the public to use collaberativly! so far about 50 stations have been added by people, the more added the better!

Cheers!

J

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh I didn't know you could add your own, sorry about that!!

Oh I didn't know you could add your own, sorry about that!!

no worries! add away!

J

Advertisement