Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

speed difference with WLan

• 03-12-2005 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

Hi

When I'm connected with wireless my broadband speed on the wireless pc is alot less than a wired pc.

I ran a test on irishisptest earlier on both my computers. One is connected with wireless and one wired.

On the wired pc I got a download speed of 1.4 Mbps and on the wireless pc I got a speed of around 800 Kbps.

I ran a couple of tests and always the wireless is alot slower.
    My connection strenth is good and I'm connected to the lan at around 30 Mbps.

Does anyone else have a problem like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I have no diff whatsoever, just switched to Smart BB btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Were both computers using the network at the same time when you ran the tests?

No but Smart Wireless is giving me 1918 in speed it's hardly gonna be any faster as it's only a 2mb line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not you... :)

lol :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Were both computers using the network at the same time when you ran the tests?

Yeah both pc's are on the lan. I ran the tests within 2 minutes of each other.

My flatmate also uses wireless but he doesn't get the same problem. So I think it may be a problem with my pc.

If I connect the wireless pc using wires the speed is back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

if u have a weak/poor wireless signal your speed could be limited from the max possible. Or you could be dropping packets etc.

Have u tried updating the drivers for router and wireless card

The drivers and firmware were up to date.

I tried changing the wireless channel from 11 to 1 and it now seems to be better. I'm still not getting quite as good a speed bu now it's gone up to around 1.2 on the wireless and it 1.5 on the wired.

I'll keep testing it over the next couple of days to see if it keeps going ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Download netstumbler to find out if you're getting a good S/N ratio and if there are any other wireless networks in range of the machine which could be generating interference.

I tried netstumbler last night and for a bit today.
    There was very little if any noise and the signal strenght was fairly steady at around 70%.

However this is on the new channel where the connection is better and more reliable.

I know there are 2 wireless connections in houses near me. They may have been causing interference on the other channel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement