Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repaying off loan

Options
  • 03-12-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I would like to repay the remainder of my loan off. It's a fixed personal loan with BOI that I took out last year. The repayments are for 24 months, it's only 40 or so a month but I want to pay the whole lot off now. Can I do this? I've tried contacting the bank and I still haven't got an answer, so I thought someone on boards.ie might know the answer to my (stupid???) question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally, you can pay a fixed loan off early but the bank may charge you a penalty charge for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

In fact, I need another 1000 loan and this is why I want ot pay off this oan first as I'm afraid BOI won't grant me another loan. Or perhaps they don't give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

banks love giving money away.
    i managed to get a €1400, 12 month loan with AIB, then a €1000 loan 6 months later.
    unless you've got a bad history of paying the previous loan's installments, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Couldnt you ask to renegotiate the terms of your current loan and supplement it by €1000, thereby paying the 40quid a month, just for longer though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

SofaKing wrote:
    Couldnt you ask to renegotiate the terms of your current loan and supplement it by €1000, thereby paying the 40quid a month, just for longer though...

Did exactly that recently....and was no problem with BOI. In my case, they cleared the original loan and gave me a top up of 1k, it was approved within 20 mins of filling the form out in the branch, they cancelled the direct debit for original loan and 1k funds were in current account within 2 days and a gave me a deffered 1st payment date for new one.

Was no hassle with BOI (was really quite surprised that it went as smoothly as it did!) only difference was they left the term of the loan the same and just paid an extra 7-8 euro a month more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup, they might very well top-up your existing loan without penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

SofaKing wrote:

That sounds great. I have a good relation with my bank, this is my first loan and I have had no problems with the repayments.

I'll inquire asap. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If there is a chance that you'll be able to repay the top-up loan in advance of the repayment schedule, avoid fixed rate loans (which have built-in penalties for early repayment). Stick with variable.

Advertisement