Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 Crashes when Playing Xbox Games

• 03-12-2005 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

My Brothers 360 keep crashing while playing origional Xbox games.

So far it has crashed on Halo2, Rainbow6 3, and GTA San Andrais. The whole console just locks up and has to be powered down to get it going again. It plays Condemed just fine, and I got all of the updates for the emulation.

Anyone else have this problem, and maybe know of a work around?

cheers.:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

may be a stupid question, but just to avoid future confusion, we are talking premium 360, as opposed to a core?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

may be a stupid question, but just to avoid future confusion, we are talking premium 360, as opposed to a core?

The core wont even run XB games, justs gives a message to the intent of "Buy a harddrive".

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

my brother got the whole bundle set for 660 euro in gamestop in clonmel.

same thing happens to him when online, playing games such as perfect dark zero, halo 2, and a few other demo's off the net.
    also, when he connects his ipod up and connects to his p.c through ethernet it locks up aswell...

but on a more serious note, his HD only registers as 13GB NOT 20GB :-(

he was told it was a 20GB HD... also, i didnt know there was a 13GB HD available for the xbox 360!

any ideas on that one?

im sending him back to the shop tomorrow to get a refund on it as its not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Let me know when he sends it back i'll follow him in for it ;)

sure. if u want a broken xbox 360... :-P

• Advertisement

Just tell me when lol

will be in clonmel in gamestop about 2 tomorrow. get there for 2 as im gonna have some go at the manager over it.
    who the hell forces someone to buy a 660 euro bundle xbox 360 that doesnt work!
    i cant wait for the manager to say "im sorry we cant give refunds"...
    im gonna go nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

but on a more serious note, his HD only registers as 13GB NOT 20GB :-(

he was told it was a 20GB HD... also, i didnt know there was a 13GB HD available for the xbox 360!

any ideas on that one?

im sending him back to the shop tomorrow to get a refund on it as its not working.

mine is the same
    it says 12gigs free and has a little bar, id assume the emulation code and dashboard stuff thats taking up the other 8gigs?

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    mine is the same
    it says 12gigs free and has a little bar, id assume the emulation code and dashboard stuff thats up the other 8gigs?

not really... i hardly think the dash takes 8 gigs... and if it does, its not worth it...

i formatted it an hour ago and the little bar is gone. so its showing 100% free space... and still only 13GB free...

so 7 gigs not registering... hardly think its sys info and dash...

how did u format it? as it took the 2.5" s-ATA HDD out of the hdd case and connected it ur computer to reformat? r just tro the dashboard ? which probably only deletes stuff u put on

• Advertisement

If you buy a 20gig hard drive it wont show you as having 20gigs free. It will show as probably a few gigs less than 20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nah, that wouldn't be much more than a gig, max. It's like with an ipod (although that can be around 2 gigs, still no where near 7).

Maybe it's a HDD issue, as it seems to freeze when you use that in any way (emulation, getting online, demos.. not sure about the ipod thing, can't see why that would effect it). Also the smaller size registering would suggest its borked... maybe it's having trouble reading the other 7gigs and is just crashing when it tries to.

you can format it through the system on xbox 360. u dont need to connect it to ur p.c or anything...

just get ur serial code ready and fromat away...
    takes about 2 mins total.

after, you have a complete empty HDD... but its only showing as 13gigs...

i might take the xbox hdd and connect it to my p.c and check the dash size...
    but thats gonna void my warranty...... so guess not a good idea...

yeah perhaps its partioned tho with the emulation code in one bit and the rest in the other coupled wit the fact that a 20gig HDD probably only registers as a 18gig on NTFS system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Mine was only registering as 13 gigs aswell I googled it and supposidly 13 gigs is for your own stuff, i.e. music pictures downloadable content etc. There is a hidden partition of 4 gigs for game saves and the other 3 are for swap files and lost space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they are all 13 gigs. the other 7 is so the system has enough sppace for stuff like ehhhh .... sytem things.

my console has locked up once during the first level of perfect dark zero. ill hang onto it definitely but once they have corrected the freezing prolems or updated the drives or anything ill make it be faulty. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sky did the same thing with the (V3) 160digibox, 80GB you could use for your own recordings and 80GB was for them to use EG box office stuff.

Had the feeling the 360 would be the same, after all if you use up all your space with mp3's and stuff then it will make using Live and the like hard(er) as you have no room left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

how retarded do u have to be to think your premium comes with a 13 GB hard drive, and you feel ripped off? allmost all storage media has less then stated. in the 360, the 7 other GB are prolly used for system settings, (as already mentioned) and seperate partitions for caching, drivers for usb stuff, etc...

BAH

shame they dont mention anything about it!!! FFS. another microsoft cock up.....

ah well.. any ideas on the system crashing so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Some forums say its the power supply overheating,

so move it into a space where its cold and the fans aren't blocked then see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Cooling issues and some bad code most lightly. (lol stick the power supply in your fridge!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

as far as i know, the overheating issue effects mainly american users, as ther main voltage is less then the console requires, thier power brick is even biger, to up the voltage as far as i know, my 360, aint overheated, and i aint hear of any other irish people who got any problems/error codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How do you class it as another Microsoft cock up........
    When you by a PC from dell or any other retailer the harddrive size is the total size however you cannt use the whole size stated for storage-the OS and system settings take up a portion of it....

i wasnt going on about not being able to use the whole size, i was talking about it not being mentioned at all...
    buying an xbox 360 with a 20 gig HD and only having access to 13gigs is a lot different to what your told your getting.

i would understand if it was 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 gigs used for system files code and dash etc.
    but 7 gigs... its a lot of HD space concidering the cost of harddrives for the xbox 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

jonnybadd wrote:
    Mine was only registering as 13 gigs aswell I googled it and supposidly 13 gigs is for your own stuff, i.e. music pictures downloadable content etc. There is a hidden partition of 4 gigs for game saves and the other 3 are for swap files and lost space.
    It's not 7 gigs of system stuff, read peoples posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Yeah I feel ripped off, if they had it advertised as 20gig I shoulda got 20gig.
    They could of had a 25 or 30gig drive, used up what they needed and still given us 20gig. I wouldn't feel ripped off if they had said it was a 13gig drive, but they didn't!!

Advertisement