Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this projector good?

• 03-12-2005 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Basically i got my 32" lcd tv for the HD but i want to get a projector now just for the few odd films, its not something that will be used everyday, maybe one a week or so, and i dont need it to be hi-def, mainly for SD.
    so not wanting to spend a load of money i found an epson model on komplett.ie
    It has a contrast of 700:1 but im now used to 800:1 on the lcd so thats no bother.
    and lamp life is something that im sure will last a while because as i said i wont be using it that much.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300941&cks=SPK
    so just your opinions on it, is it good for the money, or is there a better one out there for the price range of 700-800?

Thanks.

pH id say youd know your stuff in this field :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Sparky_S wrote:
    Basically i got my 32" lcd tv for the HD but i want to get a projector now just for the few odd films, its not something that will be used everyday, maybe one a week or so, and i dont need it to be hi-def, mainly for SD.
    so not wanting to spend a load of money i found an epson model on komplett.ie
    It has a contrast of 700:1 but im now used to 800:1 on the lcd so thats no bother.
    and lamp life is something that im sure will last a while because as i said i wont be using it that much.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300941&cks=SPK
    so just your opinions on it, is it good for the money, or is there a better one out there for the price range of 700-800?

Thanks.

pH id say youd know your stuff in this field :D

Sounds like a great bargain. Ansi-lumens is 1000 which is perfect for home cinema as you dont want a light cannon, but you'll need to ensure the room is very dark to get a proper picture. Contrast level is also fine. Black levels won't be anywhere near as nice as say the Panasonic AE700, but the picture should be nice.

Have a look on avforums.com and projectorcentral.com for some reviews.

Also native resolution is quite low and sound is in mono :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

nah wouldnt worry about sound tbh as i will have the sky plus through why HC amp to 5.1
    Measured up the attic after the walls got plasterboarded and i can just about get a 3m x 3m screen in thats more of an idea of what size, its not final, and the projector has 20ft of room to play with.
    yeah ive an account with avforums, under my same name here, just looking there at the moment and there seems to be a bit of competition between the epson and the BenQ.
    Im also not worried about that resolution because ill only be using it say once a week, the samsung 32" lcd will be used everyday, but for the money involved i think ill live with the resolution as it will really be normal SD tv going through it.

So you's recon its good enough for the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Also native resolution is quite low and sound is in mono

Im not sure why the sound being mono is a disadvantge. I dont know anyone who uses the speaker for home cinema, I dont even know what mine sounds like!

@ 800x600 the "chicken wire" effect of LCD is more noticeable, id go for this:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309912&view=detailed

Its DLP so the image, espcially with TV\DVD\SD will be much better than LCD of 800x600

I didnt look too far to pick one out, so im sure someone else will pick a projector from another selle, but I would go for the tosh over the epson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

By all accounts it's a competent cheap PJ, with the following caveats:

It doesn't do a great job on an interlaced picture, so for decent results you'll need a PC or a prog-scan DVD player (though these are cheap thesedays!)

Fan is also reputably a little noisy during quiet scenes.

But it's half the price of a panny ae700, and it's widescreen with a resolution perfect for DVDs.

Not sure what relevance the speaker in it is, nobody would use it for watching DVDs.

• Advertisement

i think the speaker is there just say for a quick presentation, i have a sammy prog. scan dvd player.
    but id want to put the sky plus through the projector some time, youd reckon the picture would be bad, would the dlp do a better job?

again, the Chicken Wire effect, caused by the pixlels is more noticeable on LCDs @ 800x600.

The epson is by no means bad, but the DLP would look a lot better.

yeah, well as i say its really only for the odd film or sport event a week.
    for a big image i would hate to see the chickenwire so id go with the dlp, must now check the specs.

just found a better epson, thats a higher res, should i just go for the plunge and get it?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313906&cks=PRL

Sparky_S wrote:
    yeah, well as i say its really only for the odd film or sport event a week.
    for a big image i would hate to see the chickenwire so id go with the dlp, must now check the specs.

just found a better epson, thats a higher res, should i just go for the plunge and get it?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313906&cks=PRL

Thats actually a lower res, albeit a native widescreen. It will take 1024x768 but the LCd only has 854x480 pixels.

For sky+ or DVD's, DLP is the way to go.

right i was browsing for hours around av forums and ive decided to get a BenQ PE5120.
    I know it has a native res of 854 x 480
    and is DLP.
    I have a component DVD and the sky plus has an svideo out, so i feel it will be just what i need.
    What ya think of it?

• Advertisement

With DLP the advise has to be don't buy blind you have to see if you're one of the people affected by the dreaded rainbows.

Most people they don't see them, or they aren't a problem if they do, for others they drive them mad or actually give them a feeling like motion sickness. I'd recomend spending at least 15 minutes watching fast moving and bright scenes on the PJ before you buy.

The cheaper the DLP PJ the more hassle the rainbows seem to be so I'd want to see one first.

pH wrote:
    With DLP the advise has to be don't buy blind you have to see if you're one of the people affected by the dreaded rainbows.

Most people they don't see them, or they aren't a problem if they do, for others they drive them mad or actually give them a feeling like motion sickness. I'd recomend spending at least 15 minutes watching fast moving and bright scenes on the PJ before you buy.

The cheaper the DLP PJ the more hassle the rainbows seem to be so I'd want to see one first.

Well now that you mention it, i didnt know one of the lads i worked for 2 yrs ago has one, exactly the same so im heading over to his tomorrow afternoon, to see.
    He says he doesnt notice it, but my worry is that i have a trained eye for colour, so ill see, i did have a feeling i would have to see it in the flesh first, he has only 90 hours run up on his, he said.
    If im impressed, i wont leave his house :D

So what's the verdict? any good? are you getting one?

pH wrote:
    So what's the verdict? any good? are you getting one?

yes i am, i dont fall fault of the rainbow affect, which is good.
    he played some Gladiator, fast and furious and spiderman along with sky, i also had a go of the xbox through it and i was very impressed, now he has a screen for it, i wont when i get it, but i will get one soon.
    Ive ordered one and am expecting it within the next 2 weeks.
    Cant wait tbh.

May someday in a few years upgrade to a high end model projector, but for what i want this does it great.

right heres the wierd thing, and i dont know how it happens
    If i watch tv on my mates PJ Benq5120 i dont see rainbows, but if i watch it on my one i do, everytime i move around the screen i see rainbows.
    best example i used was if i put my hand in the light and keep looking at my hand i see red and blue, whereas if i view it on my friends i dont seem to have the same affect.
    And his is a DLP, only worry i have now is that i may get headaches from it.

dont know now, i think im going to have to send back the pj and get a lcd pj, as ive got eyestrain and a headache from looking at mine.
    First of all it was on eco mode where its most visable then i put it to game mode which is brighter and i dont notice it much at all untill a dark scene, either way i feel eyestrain with it.
    Seriously i dont think DLP is for me, ill have to settle for LCD.

Still cant understand how my mates is ok, maybe because he has a screen.
    fook it anyways

Oh well, at least if returning it is an option then no real harm done.

Though you may get used to the rainbows, some of what you're seeing now could be more psychological.

pH wrote:
    Oh well, at least if returning it is an option then no real harm done.

Though you may get used to the rainbows, some of what you're seeing now could be more psychological.

well wierd thing is, i use it on a slightly yellow wall and i got my mam, sister and dad to look at it thismorning.

not a bother to them watching sky news on it.....

untill i asked do you see any rainbows...then they said they did.

so i think im looking for them hense the problem.

but i have a slight cold, so i could be fooling myself aswell.

Seriously man upgrade to the pansonic AE700. komplett have a deal on it as well. best PJ on the market for the price and a really stunning picture quality for games, tv and movies.

no AE700 on komplett. just the AE900

• Advertisement

What you *really* want is to buy my AE500 off me!

pH wrote:
    What you *really* want is to buy my AE500 off me!

how much?
    it would be after christmas ;)

It's worth about 700

yeah will have to wait till after christmas as this PJ i have is really wreaking my head, i get tired 20 mins into viewing through it, when i turn across the room to the 32" samsung my eyes start relaxing again.

Now on how to get rid of this PJ?

Btw how many hours on yours?

Advertisement