Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl going

• 03-12-2005 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

i noticed that my ntl broadband seems to be turning on and off all the time lately. the connection keeps dropping. has anyone else had this problem? i called them and they told me something about some work being done in my area but yet when i turn my modem off for about 15 minutes and turn it back on it works??? are they really working on it????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Tab what area are you in exactly? It might indicate an area that is getting its infrastructure upgraded.....Dublin 15 by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

Guys, I'm in the Waterford area on NTL and it's happening here aswell. It first happened to me a couple of weeks ago when my BB went completely. I rang NTL and they seemed to think my modem was screwed, but by messing around with my OS I got it sorted. It's recurred in the last few days and I'm glad that someone else is experiencing similar issues, which means it's not me. My BB seems to be coming and going though for the last few days, so I don't know waht the hell is happening???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Buggeration! :mad:

I've heard nothing but good about NTL for years. It's finally available to me, I'm about to sign up tomorrow, and now I start reading threads about dodgy, unreliable service?

Someone reassure me please :) NTL is still the best, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Sarsfield wrote:
    Buggeration! :mad:

I've heard nothing but good about NTL for years. It's finally available to me, I'm about to sign up tomorrow, and now I start reading threads about dodgy, unreliable service?

Someone reassure me please :) NTL is still the best, isn't it?

One word :- UPGRADE

should happen around this time !

NTL is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah i have had absolutely no issues with NTL broadband. Its bloody good. Im in the D2/D8 area.

I dont think ive ever had an outage since i got it about 6 months ago....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

well mine have started in the last 2 weeks, i am on the 2meg package. pain in the ass. i have had no problems today but yet the guy told me i would until monday. i dont believe anything that ntl have to say anymore. everytime i call with a problem they tell me the same thing or want to send someone out to check it out. i just think that there customer service stinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

stay away from NTL. leave us alone who already with them. therefore less users who would bog down the network. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tabatha wrote:
    well mine have started in the last 2 weeks, i am on the 2meg package. pain in the ass. i have had no problems today but yet the guy told me i would until monday. i dont believe anything that ntl have to say anymore. everytime i call with a problem they tell me the same thing or want to send someone out to check it out. i just think that there customer service stinks!

There has been a lot of work going on over the last few weeks on the NTL network. This is because people in the UK are being upgraded to 10m/512k at the moment (we actually got these speeds for a few hours on Thursday evening).

It is likely we will also be getting an upgrade sometime in the new year. The same thing happened last year when we got the last round of upgrades, everything was a bit funny for a few weeks and then it all settled down once the upgrades completed.

I've been on DSL before and NTL is far more stable then DSL ever was, don't worry too much about the current problems they will probably be sorted shortly and we will all hopefully have much faster speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

tabatha wrote:
    Trust me (and bk^) NTL are far better then the alternatives. It may be a while before everything is fixed but it does seem that these problems are to do with upgrades to the network. I'm crossing my fingers that I can finally get NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

My NTL has been down for a week and a half and I've had a nightmare with their so called 'customer service'. Finally had a guy coming out this morning, but lo and behold it was back up and running last night so this morning I cancelled the appointment as I cant afford the time off work - and of course as soon as I cancelled it is now dropping the connection every two minutes.

I'm in D12 and have been having constant problems - never had any when based in D24 with NTL. Heard stories of them getting 1000 faulty modems - could be that alright cos mine is new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

My NTL has been down for a week and a half and I've had a nightmare with their so called 'customer service'. Finally had a guy coming out this morning, but lo and behold it was back up and running last night so this morning I cancelled the appointment as I cant afford the time off work - and of course as soon as I cancelled it is now dropping the connection every two minutes.

I'm in D12 and have been having constant problems - never had any when based in D24 with NTL. Heard stories of them getting 1000 faulty modems - could be that alright cos mine is new.

I'm pissed off talking to their monkey trained "customer Service". When ever you ring them they will tell you to unplug your modem and PC and then turn them back on, as if none of us had ever thought of that!. If it not working after that then they just arrange for someone to call out and what happens it fixes its self a couple of hours later.

Never cancel an appointment that they make. If they want to waste there own time fobbing you off with sending someone out let them. They'll soon figure out it's better and cheaper for them to call you and let you know what the problem was and that the problem has been fixed.

Other than there CS its brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

UberNewb wrote:
    I'm pissed off talking to their monkey trained "customer Service". When ever you ring them they will tell you to unplug your modem and PC and then turn them back on, as if none of us had ever thought of that!. If it not working after that then they just arrange for someone to call out and what happens it fixes its self a couple of hours later.

Unfortunatly, not everyone who calls tech support is as intellignet as yourself :)
    yeah i have had absolutely no issues with NTL broadband. Its bloody good. Im in the D2/D8 area.

I dont think ive ever had an outage since i got it about 6 months ago....

Why for not the D6 area!!!
    Really wanted to get their 3meg package but we have had to opt for the Metro Equivelant instead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

UberNewb wrote:

In fairness, probably 80% of the people who call CS are probably that "stupid", some people just haven't a clue about anything technology related.

Also it is good that when you do that they actually agree to send out an engineer, with Eircom it is almost impossible to get them to send an engineer and they usually charge for it. Usually Eircom CS just fob you off, blame it on your computer or OS and thell you to reinstall your OS (which actually is the fault sometimes as some peoples PC's are so virus ridden).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've just signed up with NTL! :D

Hopefully all will go well (engineer calling out next week - they could have done earlier but I can't)

This will be my 3rd broadband supplier this year after Eircom & BT so I'll be in a good position to compare services. In fact my contract with BT means I'll have DSL and Cable both serving my house for about a month.

I had a rush of blood and went for the 3Mb service (I meant to say 1Mb but as I was about to speak I said 3 instead :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Sarsfield wrote:
    I've just signed up with NTL! :D

Hopefully all will go well (engineer calling out next week - they could have done earlier but I can't)

This will be my 3rd broadband supplier this year after Eircom & BT so I'll be in a good position to compare services. In fact my contract with BT means I'll have DSL and Cable both serving my house for about a month.

I had a rush of blood and went for the 3Mb service (I meant to say 1Mb but as I was about to speak I said 3 instead :p )

you made the right choice but you will not downgrade! it becomes too addictive!!

btw do a few few test to compare the cable and dsl!

you'll be surprised! my 3mb never drops below about 2.96 mbs and 300 up!

cant fault it!

Customer support seems grand, considering I pissed them off about the service for the first few months when it was poor (badly wired housing estate), but once the area was addressed never been a problem !!

only problem is I got 10mb for about 4 hours on Thursday night last and they took it away!!! :-(

fingers crossed it will return :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Just signed up for Broadband MAX 3meg aswell. Going to have BT 2mb and NTL 3 meg side by side till January 8th. NTL without a doubt will have to own my BT. I never got over 1.7 mbps on BT.

Switching the landline over to blueface over the NTL aswell. It is bloody cheap! Take that eircom, not a penny more going to you.

I had Netsource 2m DSL and NTL 3m for about a month and I did a detailed side by side comparison. If people are interested I can give you all the detailed results, but the summary is:

1) NTL gives you close to 100% of the advertised speed, DSL gives you about 85% of the advertised speed.

2) NTL has lower pings to Ireland, UK and US.

Also since I've had NTL for about 6 months now, I can also say that it is vastly more stable then DSL. I use to get quiet a lot of downtime with DSL, I get little or no downtime with cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

thanks for all your advice and i have to agree with most. the cs are a disgrace but the connection you cant really complain about apart from when it goes down. lets hope it gets better soon!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

I work for a ISP and believe be some of the customers that ring in haven't got a F**king clue and then you get some who think they know it all. Powercycling the PC/modem/router will work and it does as well, so its not a silly question if it works. The amount of people ringing up who say i have a "Degree" and i know what im talking about blah,blah and they have a clue. If your rining technical suppport, then you must know very little about computers yourself? (no offense) People in glass house's shouldn't throw stones.

IF its a modem using USB try reisntalling the drivers or if they have updated one's you can download. I would also check the microfilter and make sure its ok.

Try>right click my computer>select properties>device manager>USB device's>Right click each one and select properties>select power management>un-tick the power option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

Gaz25 wrote:
    I work for a ISP and believe be some of the customers that ring in haven't got a F**king clue and then you get some who think they know it all. Powercycling the PC/modem/router will work and it does as well, so its not a silly question if it works. The amount of people ringing up who say i have a "Degree" and i know what im talking about blah,blah and they have a clue. If your rining technical suppport, then you must know very little about computers yourself? (no offense) People in glass house's shouldn't throw stones.

IF its a modem using USB try reisntalling the drivers or if they have updated one's you can download. I would also check the microfilter and make sure its ok.

Try>right click my computer>select properties>device manager>USB device's>Right click each one and select properties>select power management>un-tick the power option

I agree with you Gaz25, I have had to call NTL customer service a few times and their job is to see if resetting the system will solve your problem, if not you are then put through to Tech Support for further help and in my opinion they are very helpful and sure they must have great patience when dealing with PC illiterate people and people who dont speak good english.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Yeh, i can understand a customer annoyance when being asked something silly to do, but the amount of times it works. Then there are times when they say they have checked everything and engineer is sent out and they get charged for the callout when they have actually have'nt check it and it happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Deception217

I went to order NTL the other day and was told my area (Swords) is not covered. Outrage.

I went to order NTL the other day and was told my area (Swords) is not covered. Outrage.

I believe Swords is covered by Chorus, not NTL*.

Chorus now have similiar products to NTL, go contact Chorus to see if they have BB in your area.

* Actually Liberty Global who own Chorus are about to complete the purchase of NTL:Ireland and they will be merged and called UPC Ireland.

freefall20 wrote:
    I agree with you Gaz25, I have had to call NTL customer service a few times and their job is to see if resetting the system will solve your problem, if not you are then put through to Tech Support for further help and in my opinion they are very helpful and sure they must have great patience when dealing with PC illiterate people and people who dont speak good english.

NTL's CS are the PC illiterate people. There most technical solution is to reboot and if that doesn't work then send out an engineer. They rarely know what the problem is and will very often arrange for a NTL Technician to pop over to fix the problem in a few days. Then all of a sudden it's back up half and hour later! This happened to me last Friday and Saturday.

I don't ring NTL's CS to ask for there help getting broadband working (I'd be better off asking my Granny) it’s done to report a fault.

Now if you think NTL has good CS (lol!) you should get Blueface and see the difference between there CS and NTL's. Blueface has excellent CS.

Have a nice day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I guess your PC illiterate so if you have to get a engineer out. The instructions that give are so easy to follow, so you must be the brightest ( no offence) I would imagine before they employ these staff that they have to have some knowledge of computers and broadband. I know 1/2 people who work use to work with ISP and most of them got qualifications in computers, so i would guess they know what there doing. I would guess it the same customers that ring up everyday asking for help, becuase they are PC illiterate and try fix it themselfs that really mess up the computer.

I doubt NTL would send a engineer out unless there was a fault on the line. I would say engineer's as far as i know only test the line they dont touch the computer. Technical support are very limited in what they can do if it is a fault on your line. I use Eircom and have never had any problems in over a year (touch wood). I would say your to stupid to follow instructions given over the phone so you cry out for a engineer asking for managers and superviors ot get your mammy or daddy to ring for you:p

Don't take offense to this, its nothing personal, i just people who work in technical support get all the crap from customers when thing's go wrong and when they can't fix the problem they go off blame them:mad:

Gaz25 wrote:
    Powercycling the PC/modem/router will work and it does as well, so its not a silly question if it works.

LOL! It is a silly question if the NTL network is down, they should known if there's a problem in your area. What it is, is a start to finding a problem. It shouldn't be the end!

Gaz25 wrote:
    The amount of people ringing up who say i have a "Degree" and i know what im talking about blah,blah and they have a clue.

What does that have to do with any of this? It sounds like you’re jealous

Gaz25 wrote:
    If your rining technical suppport, then you must know very little about computers yourself? (no offense) People in glass house's shouldn't throw stones.

Think about what you have just said. Just goes to prove that NTL:CS is just a step up from working in McD's. You have to ring technical support to report a fault! duh

Gaz25 wrote:
    Gaz25 wrote:

Yes and how's that going to magically fix the broken cable down the road? Your great, want a job? :rolleyes:

Don't bother giving examples like above, you just look stupid as most NTL user's use ethernet and we dont need microfilters. :D

I dont use NTL and dont work for a ISP so i dont know what sort of problems they are having....the point was that they always blame the ISP. Im not jealous as i have a education and a degree. You really dont sound like the brightest spark around here......

I guess your PC illiterate so if you have to get a engineer out. The instructions that give are so easy to follow, so you must be the brightest ( no offence) I would imagine before they employ these staff that they have to have some knowledge of computers and broadband. I know 1/2 people who work use to work with ISP and most of them got qualifications in computers, so i would guess they know what there doing. I would guess it the same customers that ring up everyday asking for help, becuase they are PC illiterate and try fix it themselfs that really mess up the computer.

I doubt NTL would send a engineer out unless there was a fault on the line. I would say engineer's as far as i know only test the line they dont touch the computer. Technical support are very limited in what they can do if it is a fault on your line. I use Eircom and have never had any problems in over a year (touch wood). I would say your to stupid to follow instructions given over the phone so you cry out for a engineer asking for managers and superviors ot get your mammy or daddy to ring for you:p

Don't take offense to this, its nothing personal, i just people who work in technical support get all the crap from customers when thing's go wrong and when they can't fix the problem they go off blame them:mad:

Can you read?

Who asked for an engineer?

Who sent the engineer?

Who's fault was the outtage?

Shouldn't you be in School?

I dont use NTL and dont work for a ISP so i dont know what sort of problems they are having....the point was that they always blame the ISP. Im not jealous as i have a education and a degree. You really dont sound like the brightest spark around here......

Good Lord! you can't read!! :D

• Advertisement

Ok, maybe you didn't cry for a engineer, but i would guess that all ISP would check if it was there network before they troubleshoot problems. NTL are your isp and you give out about them so much why not change or can't you afford to do so.

Advertisement