Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl going

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Ok, maybe you didn't cry for a engineer, but i would guess that all ISP would check if it was there network before they troubleshoot problems. NTL are your isp and you give out about them so much why not change or can't you afford to do so.

If you had bothered to read my post you would have noted that I have no problem with NTL:Broadband and couldn't recommend then high enough. I get free broadband! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

UberNewb wrote:
    If you had bothered to read my post you would have noted that I have no problem with NTL:Broadband and couldn't recommend then high enough. I get free broadband! :D

IF you’re getting free broadband then you must work or someone in your family works for an ISP or you kicked up over the service and got 6months or something.

I’m not hear to get in a slaging match with you, I was only saying what I hear from friends and people I know who work for ISP and some of the stupid people who phone up. I think as a law before your aloud to buy a computer you should have to do a computer course or have a d;)

UberNewb wrote:

IF you’re getting free broadband then you must work or someone in your family works for an ISP or you kicked up over the service and got 6months or something.

I’m not hear to get in a slaging match with you, I was only saying what I hear from friends and people I know who work for ISP and some of the stupid people who phone up. I think as a law before your aloud to buy a computer you should have to do a computer course or have diploma a d

Nope, how would that explain free insurance and road tax? So don't start making stupid guesses! :rolleyes:

ok, if your geting free tax, insurance and broadband then your daddy might be paying for it or your daddy i would guess is well know in this country and is most likely a **** *****. I really couldn't give a toss to be honest:p

• Advertisement

ok, if your geting free tax, insurance and broadband then your daddy might be paying for it or your daddy i would guess is well know in this country and is most likely a **** *****.

Wrong again! :D
    I really couldn't give a toss to be honest:p

Then stop guessing... :v:

haha, like i said i couldn't care:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Gaz25 wrote:
    If your rining technical suppport, then you must know very little about computers yourself? (no offense) People in glass house's shouldn't throw stones.

WTF? So you're basically saying even is there is a problem in your local area, outside of your home and absolutely nothing to do with your PC by your reasoning you should still not call CS as it's your own fault for not knowing anything about computers. What should we do then, go out and fix the lines ourselves?

I agree if its a problem in your area or a network then of course you have to ring CS, but i ment there are a couple of checks surley some people should check. (ie) If some is having slow webpages they should be checking for spy-ware. IF someone can't view webpages they should be doing ping test's checking anti-virus. If you can send e-mails through OE re-create the account or if they can't sign in tp there webmail account. If some who's with eircom and there phone won't work with BB they should check there filters. IF your using a router and you and all the lights are on and you have checked everything then of course you need to ring to check if its MSF or Network, but i ment for other stupid stuff thats all, jayus:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

now now children

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I agree if its a problem in your area or a network then of course you have to ring CS, but i ment there are a couple of checks surley some people should check. (ie)

One thing you can definitely do and it often fixes some problems that NTL suffer from is to try using the NTL proxy and then try changing to a different proxy.

A lot of NTL problems seem to be related not to network problems, but to their DNS and transparent proxy.

Here is the details on the transparent proxy and how to bypass it:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

Here is al ist of the NTL proxies:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

Note dublin is:
    cache1-dbln.server.ntli.net
    cache2-dbln.server.ntli.net

And there is an incredible amount of information about how NTL works on this page:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

UberNewb wrote:
    NTL's CS are the PC illiterate people. There most technical solution is to reboot and if that doesn't work then send out an engineer. They rarely know what the problem is and will very often arrange for a NTL Technician to pop over to fix the problem in a few days. Then all of a sudden it's back up half and hour later! This happened to me last Friday and Saturday.

I don't ring NTL's CS to ask for there help getting broadband working (I'd be better off asking my Granny) it’s done to report a fault.

Now if you think NTL has good CS (lol!) you should get Blueface and see the difference between there CS and NTL's. Blueface has excellent CS.

Have a nice day. :)

I never mentioned that CS have a lot to put up with, if you had read my post properly you would see I complamented the NTL Technical Support who really know their stuff and are a pleasure to deal with. Of course CS may not know a lot but thats because they are not TECH SUPPORT. Everyone who knows the basics of having a PC know that the first thing you try when something goes wrong is to reboot and this resets the system, its the same with digital boxes for TV. If a reboot does not work then of course you would be put on to Tech Support for further checks and if the fault is on the PC they may not always be able to help with that, its the same if your TV breaks down you dont call NTL or Chorus to fix it you bring it to a TV repair shop.

freefall20 wrote:
    I never mentioned that CS have a lot to put up with, if you had read my post properly you would see I complamented the NTL Technical Support who really know their stuff and are a pleasure to deal with. Of course CS may not know a lot but thats because they are not TECH SUPPORT. Everyone who knows the basics of having a PC know that the first thing you try when something goes wrong is to reboot and this resets the system, its the same with digital boxes for TV. If a reboot does not work then of course you would be put on to Tech Support for further checks and if the fault is on the PC they may not always be able to help with that, its the same if your TV breaks down you dont call NTL or Chorus to fix it you bring it to a TV repair shop.

Fair enough freefall20, the next time the network goes down I'll ask NTL:CS to put me through to Tech Support. As far as I was aware CS was TS?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

UberNewb, whats your problem? your lashing at everyone by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pmoran

I have the same problem in D8. The modem goes through it's boot cycle or whatever it is over and over. I cancelled the first two calls because things started working again. But the last two times I let the engineer call to see if there was anything they could do. I was told by both engineers that there were similar problems in my area, and there was work going on on the line. I don't think that CS have this information, when i ring to enquire about any work in the area they don't know and want to put me on hold (I think they know people are p****** off asking them to reboot) while they contact TS. I've asked to be put through but TS seem to only be open until 6pm.
    I am happy with the service when it's on, but very often it's not. Having got a taste of the 10meg last week I'm reluctant to go anywhere else to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

UberNewb, Customer Support and Technical Suport definitely shouldnt be the same thing. Maybe they are at NTL, but they arent at any other company I've ever dealt with. Stop looking for a slagging match with someone, you've made yourself look like a tit on this thread.

Gaz25 wrote:
    UberNewb, whats your problem? your lashing at everyone by the looks of it.

My only problem is with NTL:CS.

I was lashing out at the assumptions that all problems are with the user and not with the supplier. Every time when NTL has gone down for me it’s been a problem on their side.

They have arranged for an engineer to come out about 5 times now and the longest it’s been down for is about 1 hour! In all of those 5 times an engineer has never had to come out.

I don't think that I'm the only NTL customer that has had to arrange for time off only to find that 30mins later it’s back up!

im not with NTL myself, but i agree with you and little-devil, i do think technical support get a lot of crap from customers. Im not geting involved in it anyway.

UberNewb, Customer Support and Technical Suport definitely shouldnt be the same thing. Maybe they are at NTL, but they arent at any other company I've ever dealt with. Stop looking for a slagging match with someone, you've made yourself look like a tit on this thread.

and you are! :D

I know there are a lot of complaints about IBB and i know a couple of lads who work there. They say all the problems are down to interference and that you knew what you were signing up for?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any opion's on IBB

• Advertisement

I forgot to say in all my slagging of NTL:CS that NTL is still the best broadband product out there and I'm more than happy to recommend them to anyone who can get it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Gaz25 wrote:
    I know there are a lot of complaints about IBB and i know a couple of lads who work there. They say all the problems are down to interference and that you knew what you were signing up for?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any opion's on IBB

They are dire! and that thing about interference is bull! they do not have a licened bandwidth! think of it like a radio station, you licence the frequency, if you don't anyone one can be interfereing with your frequency! thats an easy cop out!

there is plenty of wifi/wimax in Asia and the States with regulated bandwidth and limited numbers on each station and it works perfect! the problem is that IBB are trying to fit too many people on thier masts and offer feable excuses on services!

Where are you eddie hobbs ?? and prime time !!!!!!

NTL is the dogs :D ! and I know I've had IBB, Eircom and dial up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

NTL is fantastic, had it about 9 months now, rock solid, never had a problem once teething issues on install were sorted.

Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Drapper wrote:
    They are dire! and that thing about interference is bull! they do not have a licened bandwidth! think of it like a radio station, you licence the frequency, if you don't anyone one can be interfereing with your frequency! thats an easy cop out!

there is plenty of wifi/wimax in Asia and the States with regulated bandwidth and limited numbers on each station and it works perfect! the problem is that IBB are trying to fit too many people on thier masts and offer feable excuses on services!

Where are you eddie hobbs ?? and prime time !!!!!!

NTL is the dogs :D ! and I know I've had IBB, Eircom and dial up

I have to agree. I live outside Ireland at the moment and where I am I have wireless BB which 95%+ of the time is pretty much on a par with the DSL I had previously.

Most of those few problems I do get are to do with erratic pings which make VOIP/Games go tits up but generally Web browsing and Email remain quite usable.

Major outages have generally been linked to problems with the main fiber link out of the country. Because of where I am geographically the pings are little high but the DSL provider is only marginally better and looking at traceroutes on both most the delays are on the primary international fiber link which all the ISP's here share. The ping on the first hop from me to my ISP is pretty similar for both wireless or DSL most of the time, though wireless may be a shade slower (5-10ms) in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

wow you guys fight alot over in this forum :D

I have ntl bb a couple of months now and never had any problems with the service. I'm in waterford btw.

Knowing some people who work in ntl I can tell you that ntl cs and tech support are both different departments. the cs department do what they are told as in rebooting everything with the customer on the phone and it is matter of procedure that they do this. from the stories i've heard some people out there don't know what modem is let alone how to turn it off.

it must be tough working in tech support with all those people on the phones from who work in IT.

Yes very well you work with a computer during the day - statoil have lovely till systems but how many people have actually gone in to the control panel and had a good look around - how many people know what an ip address is or a= dhcp server. And why should ntl tech support or any other tech support automatically believe that people have technical skills to know. So they go the easy route around things and explain how to do a reboot and other things.

but as was said above ... they are great and i for one have no problem

Advertisement