Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving home

• 03-12-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am moving out in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it big time.

Problem is my dad works lates and is out of the house monday to fri and in the pub sat nights and some sunday nights, sometimes with my mum and sometimes not.

My head is cabbaged. When I move out my mum will be on her own all week. Im moving at least an hour and a half away.

I dont know if its the fear of moving out or the worry of leaving her alone is making me have second thoughts. I am now seriously thinking of leaving it a couple of years till me dad retires.

I don't know what to do

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

You can't be expected to pick up the slack just because your Dad is working and spends his weekends in the pub, have you spoken to your mam about it at all?

I know that you expect her to say she'll be fine (and you're probably right). But do you really think it's workable to stay at home until your dad isn't working any more? I'm sure you're moving out for a good reason, and not just because you're rolling in money. Is it a good job, are you moving in with mates/a partner or do you just want freedom?
    See if it's possible to get your mam active so that she isn't sitting at home all day, and then do what you can to visit when you can. Besides, if your out of the house, that's one less mouth to feed so your dad can drop a few hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

flogen wrote:
    You can't be expected to pick up the slack just because your Dad is working and spends his weekends in the pub, have you spoken to your mam about it at all?

I know that you expect her to say she'll be fine (and you're probably right). But do you really think it's workable to stay at home until your dad isn't working any more? I'm sure you're moving out for a good reason, and not just because you're rolling in money. Is it a good job, are you moving in with mates/a partner or do you just want freedom?
    See if it's possible to get your mam active so that she isn't sitting at home all day, and then do what you can to visit when you can. Besides, if your out of the house, that's one less mouth to feed so your dad can drop a few hours :D

Cheers, I'm just worried about her at night times. She is a light sleeper and the kind of mother that hears a creek and is freaked out, running into my bedroom at all hours asking me did I hear things etc. Not all the time but once a month anyway.

You're right she'll just say she'll be ok. Moving out for the freedom and to be closer to work an all

I pay 400 a month house keep so I don't think my dad will drop hours. Just dunno what to do to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

its a hard one but she would hate to think that you are staying home and not getting on with life so you can babysit her. of course it is a sweet and nice thought but you cannot stay at home forever cause you have no way of knowing when your dad will actually retire.

encourage her to join a book club or bridge club so that she has places to be in the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Im in the same boat i am moving out in Jan but my dad is quiting the night shift and doing the days just talk to him about it i know i did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

blahblah06 wrote:
    Im in the same boat i am moving out in Jan but my dad is quiting the night shift and doing the days just talk to him about it i know i did

in a similiar position too. dunno what to do either tbh ... I'll move more than likely but am a wee bit closer to home so will go home once a week or so

• Advertisement
Advertisement