Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choose Kirby a game for Christmas!

Options
  • 04-12-2005 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭

Okay... pretty self-explanatory title. I'd like a new game for Christmas. And thanks to some lovely person trading in a slimline PS2 to buy their Xbox360, I have all 3 consoles now. *strokes staff discount*
    So suggest away! Anything good for GameCube, Xbox, PS2, DS or GBA that I may have missed? Got a hidden gem you'd like to share? Fire away!
    A few caveats though... I don't like sports games, I'm not a big fan of turn-based battles in any shape, size or form, and I find racers like Gran Turismo to be very boring. I'd like something that's relatively quick to get into.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Kirby's magic paintbrush for the DS is supposed to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've played it... didn't like it, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Phoenix Wright. Very cheap on CDWOW.

(edit. I tried PMing you but your inbox is full)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Lunar Dragon Song/Mario Kart for the DS. Lunar Dragon Song hasn't been released in the EU yet, it's an RPG and if it's anywhere as good as the other games of the series, it'll be......... good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

The Warriors is excellent if a little short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Did you get ICO yet Kirby? Or are you waiting for the re-release?

Got it :D It was 37.50 preowned with my staff discount.
    I'm being good and not starting it until after my Christmas exams. *pings angelic halo*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Monkey Balls" on the game cube. Great for the fun, and esp great if there's 2 or more :D

Actually, I'm looking for it for the PS1, or to play it on the PC somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im luke and im five and my dads bruce lee, drives me around in his jcb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Gitaroo Man is a fantastic music game for the PS2, but pretty rare. Project Zero 2 and Forbidden Siren are kings of the horror genre*, albeit both with really, horribly bad voice acting. Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call is a lovely RPG, thankfully with absolutely no voice acting at all. It's quite like Pokémon, and full of wonderfully varied demons. Disgaea pops up sometimes in GAME and Gamestop secondhand, for €25 or less. It's well worth it. It's a brilliant strategy RPG that lets you play it as much or as little you like. I've only been playing it a while, but I can see myself putting hundreds more hours into it.

If you've never had a PSOne, then there's a ton of lovely stuff you can pick up on eBay. But bear in mind the PS2 memory card isn't compatible with PSOne games, for some clever Sony reason. Anyway: Um Jammer Lammy, Castlevaina: Symphony of the Night, Vib Ribbon, Klonoa, Vagrant Story, Point Blank and Bishi Bashi Special are all for teh win. Very much so.

You probably know as well I do about about Gamecube, GBA and DS games, so I won't bother with them. Get a Mr Driller game if you haven't already, though. Very gay fun.

*Assuming you consider Resi 4 an action game. Though, honestly, even if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Katamari Damacacacacacacacacacacy.

kdjac

I'm not modchipping this PS2 for imports, so I'm gonna have to wait for We Love Katamari to come out early next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'll second Phoenix Wright for DS. Definitely if you liked the old lucasarts and sierra point and click adventures on the pc.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga/Partners in Time. Haven't played the new one on the ds yet but Superstar Saga was one of the few genuinely funny games I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Second monkey ball. Most fun you can have with a monkey without fear of legal repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Devil May Cry 3 and God of War, though you've probably already got them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only back from the states now and picked up a few games. Mario Kart on the DS is great and the wireless internet play is a great bonus. Partners in Time is basically an expanded Superstar Saga, which is no bad thing considering how good SS was.

For RPGs the best on the current generation is FFX. There really isn't much else on the PS2 in terms of RPGs surprisingly but FFX is one of the best ever made. You could hold out for Shadow of the Colossus when it arrives next year. If you liked Ikaruga on the GC get Gradius V on the PS2. I find its a much better game and is far more accessible.
    Um Jammer Lammy, Castlevaina: Symphony of the Night, Vib Ribbon, Klonoa, Vagrant Story, Point Blank and Bishi Bashi Special are all for teh win

They are all horribly rare and/or expensive as well other than Point Blank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

It depends what you think is expensive, really. Most of them can be won on eBay for €20 - €40. Expensive for such old games, but less than your average new release, and worth it (well, arguably). Castlevania would probably cost an arm and a leg, but you never know your luck. I got Lammy for €3 in Gamestop a few months ago.

I forgot about Gradius V. What Retr0 said.

Mario Kart DS is great, really good, but I think Kirby probably already has that :)

Kirby, I was going to PM you, but your inbox if full. If you want a lend of Phoenix Wright, let me know. I finished it and it's not really the type of game I'm going to replay any time soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally got Pheonix Wright myself. Hope it's as good as everybody is raving it is.

Laguna wrote:
    Lunar Dragon Song/Mario Kart for the DS. Lunar Dragon Song hasn't been released in the EU yet, it's an RPG and if it's anywhere as good as the other games of the series, it'll be......... good.

Have to disagree here. It's getting quite average reviews. Also, although I haven't played Dragon Song, I was recently playing Lunar Silver Star Story Complete for the PS1 (which Dragon Song is a remake of) and stopped a good bit into it since I wasn't really having much fun. The second game is far better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

http://www.stubbsthezombie.com/game.cfm <---just about to install this. looks fricking great :)

Stubbs the Zombie is fun. It's a fun, cute game, Halo-engine, very funny (throwing your hand, exploding organs), coop (yay!). It's not very long though (in fact it's very very short), could have been better. Lot of fun though. Did I say it's fun?

Isn't there a Mac version of Stubbs The Zombie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Isn't there a Mac version of Stubbs The Zombie?
    Yes, yes there is

I recommend Beyond Good and Evil. Great action adventure game with a really nice story, music that compliments the game well, the exploritative part is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

God of War if you haven't played it already, absolutely savage.

One I was strongly considering, actually :)
    *crosses fingers for a price drop in the January sales*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Any Fire Emblem game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

How could you of all people not like Kirby on the ds? ;) Don't delete my save game Retr0 :p

I won't. Was wondering what the game reminded me of and I realised last night. If anyone remembers Sleepwalker on various home computers well it's a bit like that with a stylus.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote:
    How could you of all people not like Kirby on the ds? ;) Don't delete my save game Retr0 :p
    I got bored... and it just felt like Yoshi's Touch and Go all over again.

Advertisement