Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transmitter change???

Options
  • 04-12-2005 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all. I've got a new Traxxas JATO and i'm wondering about changing the transmitter. It's a standard 2ch stick at the minute and was wondering about changing to a box type one. If I do this do I have to cahnge my Traxxas serovs and reciever box? Has anybody and preferences to stick type v box type? If some of you use a box type can u reccomend a particular 1 and somewhere that can help me out.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Any help on this one?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

A twin stick RC uses the same receiver and servos as a stering wheel type RC.

You will have to ensure that your new transmitter (Tx) is the same frequency as your old one. eg replace a 27AM with 27AM, or if it is 40AM, or 40FM, you would have to get the same in the steering wheel Tx, this way you won't have to buy a new receiver.

The advantage of twin stick is that if you move to other model types, your skills are already there, and you don't have to relearn the controls.

Everybody has their own preferences though. I suspect most people are in favour of the type they first learned with, and are more adept with.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ViperGTS

Thanks a lot coolwings. I think the wheel transmitter is a tad too touchy. Looks like i'll have to go shopping soon.
    Thanks again
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have to say I prefer using the twin stick control myself, but the wheel type is not that hard to get around with a bit of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

my buggy is struggling to go past fifteen feet range at the moment. obviously a problem!! can you buy a reciever and keep the old "crystals" you used or what way are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

If you know where to go to get the same reciever then it should be ok. once the model is the same and the band is the same (27mhz am or fm, 40mhz am or fm).crystals are transferable to other recievers once u again keep the band the same(are some exceptions). If range is a problem check make sure all you batts are charged ,low power in the hand set or reciever could be a cause. also crystals to are not indistructable and do fail from time to time. If you know someone else with the same radio try his crystals in your model to rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

If you know someone else with the same radio try his crystals in your model to rule it out.

sorry, but what do you mean same radio, if i go out and buy a radio is it not definite that it will be compatible,?

It is definite - if you bring the car along and test it in the shop with the new Tx.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

what i would do if replacing what i believed to be a faulty TX or RX i would always try to buy the same model again. In some of the lower spec radio kits generally cheapy ones that are 27am from what i have seen most are interchangable once you remember to keep the crystals the same you shouldnt have a problem. I personally run a futaba 3vc 40mhz digital fm radio with my car but if something is faulty i need to replace with certain parts . if the RX blows i need to replace with the same RX model number exactly to be sure it works right, i cant interchange with the likes of a hitec radio reciever or other manufactures.
    If you do decide to mix radio sets up like have a futaba handset with a hitec reciever for example i would before switching on and racing it do a simple range test, switch your gear on and walk away to a distance around what you would normally run at and make sure it operates correctly, nothing would be worse then the car at full speed moving away from you and u cant control it.

Quote:
    coolwings It is definite - if you bring the car along and test it in the shop with the new Tx.

Its not definite if he needs to test it mate and if its not a exact match for the gear he has he most certainly should test it and as i said from range so as to rule out problems at distance.

... I personally run a futaba 3vc 40mhz digital fm radio with my car but if something is faulty i need to replace with certain parts . if the RX blows i need to replace with the same RX model number exactly to be sure it works right, i cant interchange with the likes of a hitec radio reciever or other manufactures.
    Lots of people say that. It is the stock advice given in the magazines & clubs. It is good advice if you don't range test your gear. (but everybody is supposed to range test ! ) But I don't say it, because I have tested what works with other makes, and what doesn't work.
    ...If you do decide to mix radio sets up like have a futaba handset with a hitec reciever for example i would before switching on and racing it do a simple range test, switch your gear on and walk away to a distance around what you would normally run at and make sure it operates correctly, nothing would be worse then the car at full speed moving away from you and u cant control it.
    Absolutely dead on. :cool:
    You should range test before every days racing, even with your usual, well tried gear. It breaks, crystals crack, aerials get fouled with oil/grease (reducing range), battery packs discharge or fail, every day is a new day, and should have it's own range test. Even with perfect radio gear, the range test will let you know if some moron is on your frequency down the road/round the corner. SO it should always be done.
    ...Quote: coolwings It is definite - if you bring the car along and test it in the shop with the new Tx.

Its not definite if he needs to test it mate and if its not a exact match for the gear he has he most certainly should test it and as i said from range so as to rule out problems at distance.
    Let's put this in perspective ... Mugenextreme suggests you MUST replace your Rx with another of the same, and so do many other modellers.
    BUT - What about newer, better technology when it appears on the market? Are we suposed to stay with the old one? Of course not!

One example for the record....
    I have a Graupner-JR transmitter,
    I have used it with JR and Sanwa crystals inside the TX - no problem. :D

I have used this radio with 14 different receiver types at 500 metres range with no problems .... :D
    JR - 6 different receiver types
    Sanwa - 2 different receiver types
    Hitec - 2 different receiver types
    Jeti - 2 different receiver types
    Futaba - 2 different receiver types

In my receivers I have used Sanwa crystals, or JR crystals, no problems. :D

That is 2 x 14 x 2 = 56 combinations that worked for me with my own radio and models, in the last 3 years
    SO - provided you learn what works with what, you have more gear to choose from when you buy.

An example a few of the things you learn from testing stuff....
    I do not use my JR Tx with futaba receiver with futaba rx xtal inside, I use the futaba receiver with the JR xtal, this works fine.
    Computer radios which have PCM transmission are less compatible than single conversion or dual conversion radios which use the more common PPM 17 and PPM 18 mode of transmission. So PCM is a retrograde step IMHO, seeing as you can buy a cheaper radio (non PCM) and buy a separate failsafe and stick it into your model, and still have the benefits of PCM, but your transmitter and receivers cost half the price. ;)

Just my 10 c worth ;)

Coolwings

• Advertisement
Advertisement