Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.::Is there just one type of girl::.

• 04-12-2005 4:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

I was out in Barcode last night in a groop of lads and girls, and looking at girls (what we men do) and they were all
    clones of one another they all like the same music, the same clothing, same bloody drinks!

I've never realy being in a relationship and its about time for me to be in one, but i don't want to be in a relationship
    with a person who buys into all that sh!t, who buys into every new trend or fashion statement.

So is there just one type of girl or is there a place where there is girls who are just themselves and are not taken in by
    all the things that are 'Hip' or 'In'.

So where would i find a girl whos is into Tom Waits, Eric Clapton, Harry Chapin or Bob Dylan, who is UNDER 20 years of age.

Or am i just a madman?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Volvoboy wrote:

I was out in Barcode last night in a groop of lads and girls, and looking at girls (what we men do) and they were all
    clones of one another they all like the same music, the same clothing, same bloody drinks!

I've never realy being in a relationship and its about time for me to be in one, but i don't want to be in a relationship
    with a person who buys into all that sh!t, who buys into every new trend or fashion statement.

So is there just one type of girl or is there a place where there is girls who are just themselves and are not taken in by

So where would i find a girl whos is into Tom Waits, Eric Clapton, Harry Chapin or Bob Dylan, who is UNDER 20 years of age.

You are if you think you're going to meet a girl of under twenty who meets your criteria. How about taking a girl as you find her, not how you perceive she is, what you think she likes.

if your in college you canusually spot the goths with their dpressed faces and black eyeshadow!they like those linda singers!******goes back to listen to pussycat dolls!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Volvoboy wrote:

I was out in Barcode last night in a groop of lads and girls, and looking at girls

Well - its Barcode. What do you expect?!

Doyles on D'Olier Street on a Thursday night.

[EDIT]How is this a personal issue?![/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Volvoboy wrote:
    I was out in Barcode
    Thats the kind of woman you'll see there. If you want a girl intrested in your music, goto a pub that plays it, tbh. If you goto a "trendy" club, you'll find people intrested in "trendy" music, tbh.

the_syco wrote:
    Thats the kind of woman you'll see there. If you want a girl intrested in your music, goto a pub that plays it, tbh. If you goto a "trendy" club, you'll find people intrested in "trendy" music, tbh.

That makes so much sense, it actually didn't occur to me! <Laguna brain-damage>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Laguna- i understand where your coming from but all the girls i talk to in barcode are more concerned with what drink i'm going to buy them than what i'm talking about.

The_Dazzler- you know nothing about music this link might educate youhttp://www.harrychapin.com/

Civilian_Target- i'll deffo check that out

thanks for your help

Volvoboy wrote:
    Laguna- i understand where your coming from but all the girls i talk to in barcode are more concerned with what drink i'm going to buy them than what i'm talking about.

Well that's your problem right there son, you're targeting the types of girls who go out with a fiver in their purse and make a night out of blokes paying for their drinks. I suggest going somewhere else, I don't know the Barcode as I seem to be the only person on Boards who doesn't live in Dublin.

hmmm, VB has some thinking to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Volvoboy wrote:

not unlike a group of young men all standing around wearing jeans and shirts and drinking guiness or carlsberg?

how do you know what music they like from looking at them. thats impressive.
    Volvoboy wrote:

then dont. but if you are going to rage against popular culture and latest fad, you may be onto a loser there. especially if youare going to try and find the love of your life in Barcode.

[QUOTE=Volvoboy
    all the things that are 'Hip' or 'In'. [/QUOTE]

i think all girls are themselves. you just cant see past the 'latest fad' and catagorise everyone into one simple box for easy labelling purposes. perhaps if you had chatted to these girls you might have found out that they liked the same kind of music, they have interests as similar as yours.
    but you have just dismissed them straight away on their appearance.

you see, i have a theory. my theory is that guys dont like girls who are into the latest fashion, who doll themselves up. i think that guys are intimidated by these kinds of women. they feel threatened by them.
    they are considered to be confident young women who know what they want by and large (although whether that is true i have no idea), and some men dont like that. men that have lower confidence.
    so they just dont bother to try and chat them up or engage them inconversation, because they feel they will be shot down, and dont have a chance. and so to make it easy, they just lump them into that great big catagory of 'women i wouldnt touch with yours because of x, y and z', when really, they are just afraid to take a chance.
    well, thats my theory.
    Volvoboy wrote:

everywhere. i believe the cute one that you wouldnt talk to is a big tom waits fan...

no, enot mad. maybe just a little green around the gills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Volvoboy wrote:

I agree with you that a lot of Irish girls are clones of each other (example: townies, they all look the same to me!)

Try Doyles on the corner near Pearse Street Garda station. The girls are youngish and they're quite alternative/independent. Music is great too!

The Mezz in Temple Bar is similar (mostly foreign women though.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Volvoboy wrote:

Hey

There is a lot of nice girls out there. I like Tom Waits, etc not really into 'hip' stuff and I am not a goth.

And I am only 20. Perhaps I am a rare thing????

Watsgone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

From what I've seen girls tend to be a lot less individual than guys, and more likely to follow the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

as has been pointed out - you are looking for them in barcode - it most likely aint going to happen! if you go to barcode you should be aware that it is a place where the exact same people go each week and like cheers, they all know each others name!

go to town some where like Whelans, Doyels etc - somewhere where the only thing they play isnt the pussy cat dolls or whatever is in the top ten of the week and girls dont wear shorts and heels (even though it is the middle of winter and freezing!!)

and yes the type of girl you are looking for does exist but seriously mate you are looking in the wrong type of place (no offence to girls who go to barcode or other such fine establishments!)

I go to barcode most weeks because its handy (nearby), I hate town and all my mates drink there (plus 3 euro a drink Thursday, Friday and Sunday is brilliant)
    It does wreck my head because everyone down there is oh so trendy but believe me I hear what your saying about the girls that go there but in fairness its the same for girls
    Trying to pull guys there is a no no for me down there because I would not go near a guy with pierced ears wearing a pink shirt or one who had blonde highlights which a lot of the blokes down there are exactly like that so in relation to your problem drink somewhere else.I recommend Swords its not as bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't really see this as a PI, more as looking for suggestions where to meet girls into alternative music in Dublin. Moving to Dublin forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SillyWilly

barcode is a kip, the girls are only interested in getting into scraps with each other and the fellas are all ben sherman wearing scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

SillyWilly wrote:
    barcode is a kip, the girls are only interested in getting into scraps with each other and the fellas are all ben sherman wearing scumbags.

Dude you have it right!we're all animals,what makes us(humans)different is that we use computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SillyWilly

Yeah I was just telling evryone my experience there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

jesus why do you really care if a bird listens to Tom bloody Waits (whoever he is) or the excellent PussyCatDolls?? I bet if one of these hotties in skirts actually talked to you or came onto you you wouldn't give a hoot about what music they like. Most girls your age are confused and off their nuts altogether really, they don't seem to hit any level of normality until their mid to late 30s, so you've got your work cut out for you mate!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Well - its Barcode. What do you expect?!

Doyles on D'Olier Street on a Thursday night.

[EDIT]How is this a personal issue?![/EDIT]

I was in Doyles on D'Olier Street on Thursday and I agree, the women are fabulous there on Thursdays ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Volvoboy wrote:

So you want a bird who doesnt dress well and take care of her appearance?
    Yes, you are a madman

(VB bangs head off wall)
    So you want a bird who doesnt dress well and take care of her appearance?
    Yes, you are a madman

All i would like is a girl who knows her own mind, one who dosen't like what she's ment to like just because its 'in' or 'hip'.

thanks for all your help, i'll check out doyles on D'Olier Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Volvoboy wrote:

I'm not saying al these places are where you'll have the best night ever but:

Eamonn Dorans (temple bar)

Whelans (wexford st)

Carnival (wexford st across from whelans)- is actually a fairly decent spot

The Foggy Dew (opp central bank)- slightly older crowd but not an auldfellas place

The Village (wexford st)-its ok

The Oak (dame st)-can be quite good

The Mezz (eustace st)-mainly foreign chicks but that can also be a good thing

The Hub (Nightclub beneath the mezz)-Pretty good

The Temple bar music centre (curved st temple bar)- depends whats on

Voodoo (on the northside of the quays) can be a decent enough spot on the right night

Just go anywhere that has gigs on or if you hear the music you're into take a look inside. it shouldn't be hard to find someone with the same interests as yourself in a place that plays the same kind of music you're into.

Sound
    -Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Volvoboy wrote:
    (VB bangs head off wall)

All i would like is a girl who knows her own mind, one who dosen't like what she's ment to like just because its 'in' or 'hip'.

thanks for all your help, i'll check out doyles on D'Olier Street.

So basically any girl into mainstream music, fashion, etc. is a confused ditz who has no independent thoughts of her own? It seems that you only want to be with someone who is into the same music as you. That is the worst way to judge whether a relationship will work or not. It shouldn't be about music tastes, it should be about how well you get on.

Ok, VB bangs head off rake,
    So basically any girl into mainstream music, fashion, etc. is a confused ditz who has no independent thoughts of her own?

i never said that the girls are ''Ditz'' all i insinuated* is that theres no problem with the people who are into those things, but i'd be much more suited to a girl who is into the same things that i'm into.

if i started a thread asking where could i find a place where they play 50pence akorn or M&m the post would'nt be into the second page

You picking up what i'm laying down?:confused: ?

*Christ i hope i spelled that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

LadyLotts wrote:
    So basically any girl into mainstream music, fashion, etc. is a confused ditz who has no independent thoughts of her own? It seems that you only want to be with someone who is into the same music as you. That is the worst way to judge whether a relationship will work or not. It shouldn't be about music tastes, it should be about how well you get on.

People with similar music tastes are much more likely to get on - FACT

Music tends to govern personalities IMO. From your post I'd guess you would be into mainstream music etc. I don't mean to undermine your opinion but you wouldn't really know what it's like being really into music and how it affects what you look for in people. Good music taste or at least being into some good music is a must for me in a partner.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    People with similar music tastes are much more likely to get on - FACT

Music tends to govern personalities IMO. From your post I'd guess you would be into mainstream music etc. I don't mean to undermine your opinion but you wouldn't really know what it's like being really into music and how it affects what you look for in people. Good music taste or at least being into some good music is a must for me in a partner.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. There's a lot of scientific logic in that, making it a requirement that someone must like the same music as you to be a good mate/partner. If I happen to meet a nice gir I like, I couldn't care less if she was mad into Cliff Richard or had a bit of a thing for Katrina and the Waves... 'Really into music'... I can't even begin to comprehend this?, are you above us lesser folk who admit to liking a song irrespective of its artist?. Musical snobbery, what a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

JC 2K3 wrote:

Meh... it's not that important. You can always bust on her for liking the Backstreet Boys or, even better, introduce her to some new bands later on in the relationship.

Don't get me wrong, I love a girl with similar music taste, but that alone isn't going to make me attracted to her. It's simply not a good main criteria.

Advertisement