Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XB360 with Dell W2600 tv

• 04-12-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I got both last week and I was just wondering if anyone has used them and what they think ??

I'm impressed with the picture , but I'm not sure if I'm actually getting 720i !!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i have them both two and im also very impressed :)
    one thing tho that i wanted to check, that is just not me having it set up wrong, but when i have it set to hdtv on the cable and then play a dvd it gives really sh.ite scan lines...? but putting it on normal tv for the dvds goes back to perfect. is it just cuz the dvd's are hd dvds r do i have it set up wrong?

also when the console is on and going tro the dashboard i can hear a buzzing sound? i have it right next to the tv but the psu is down on the floor at the limit the cable will give

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    i have them both two and im also very impressed :)
    one thing tho that i wanted to check, that is just not me having it set up wrong, but when i have it set to hdtv on the cable and then play a dvd it gives really sh.ite scan lines...? but putting it on normal tv for the dvds goes back to perfect. is it just cuz the dvd's are hd dvds r do i have it set up wrong?

also when the console is on and going tro the dashboard i can hear a buzzing sound? i have it right next to the tv but the psu is down on the floor at the limit the cable will give

I'm getting "ghost" lines aswell when playing dvd's. Although I do get these when playing through my Sony DVD player with "progressive scan" turned on. I think that even thought this tv is advertised as being "progressive" compatable, its not.

im a complete hdtv noob but is 1080i not better then 720p ? it allows u pick either one?

but other then this and for the price it cost its a hell of a tv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    im a complete hdtv noob but is 1080i not better then 720p ? it allows u pick either one?

but other then this and for the price it cost its a hell of a tv!

Yes, 1080i is better, but it depends on the software. The likes of PGR3 is 720i, your tv will just display whats being thrown at it.

I'm going to call dell about the ghosting lines and I'll post an update on it next week on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

720p, you mean, it a lower res then 1080i (interlaced) but it is smoother, and less lines are visible, so technically, 720p is better, especially if the HDTV youv'e got is 32" + unless you can get a tv 1080p which be near impossible, in ireland anyway, id say even if your tv can output 1080i, i'd keep mine on 720p, maybe lower res, but definatly a smoother, cleaner picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

720p will give a better picture than 1080i

Theres loads of guides/reviews online about setting up hd on the 360

That dell monitor got very average reviews online.. most i've seen were around 5/10 mark. They mention that its not a very sharp picture. Maybe its just the screen. I'm getting a hdtv for my 360 in january but theres no way I'd have bought that dell tv just for that purpose. Better off saving towards a better one when the prices are due to drop next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

GStormcrow wrote:

thats what i just said :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

GStormcrow wrote:

Theres loads of guides/reviews online about setting up hd on the 360

That dell monitor got very average reviews online.. most i've seen were around 5/10 mark. They mention that its not a very sharp picture.

The only review I saw (and I checked out many before buying) that had concerns about sharpness was the IGN one, whereas the CNET one (by no means a powderpuff piece - and with more actual measurements) said: "As might be expected, HD material looked significantly more detailed than DVD content, especially through the DVI input. The picture appeared extremely sharp, thanks to the high resolution and the relatively small screen size."

many of the reviews i saw had the price quoated at $999
    not 540eur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭antifyre

we got the tv two days ago and it goes as such......

Ghosting very obvious with the 360......works ok with DVD and Digital (SKY) TV as long as you view it from at least a metre away (fine from our point of view, as it's a second tv in a bedroom, on a wall).

TV is fine for multi-viewing, but if you bought it just for 360; DAMN........

Still a really good bargain though....

• Advertisement

Lol CNET gave it 5.8 which was lower than the 6.3 it got from IGN. The tv got most its marks for its connectivity. Got a 4 from CNet for performance: Products in this range are below average. They fall the middle of the pack for most features, but suffer from a few additional major flaws. The rating was saved by its amount of features and its design

i have noticed the ghosting alright but its still very much playable
    only seemed to effect some areas of pdz, while condemend is grand

I bet if you played it on a decent screen though condemned would look far better. Most notably because it seems a dark game and the w2600 constantly across all reviews is noted for its bad black levels

perhaps... but then in 6 months time there wud b an even better tv...
    it always happens and there is not much u can do
    im happy wit wat i got ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I think something often overlooked, with regards to LCD TV's, is the pixle responce time. This will cause ghosting, the DELL comes in at
    - Pixel response time 25 ms - (info from CENet) The absoulte minimum I would look for would be 16ms, but you can get some decent priced 6ms monitors out there.
    Personally I have not intention of paying for a 'LCD TV', when a monitor is cheaper, and all it lacks is the tv tuner. I use a digibox like most other people so I have no need for the tuner anyway.

GStormcrow wrote:
    Lol CNET gave it 5.8 which was lower than the 6.3 it got from IGN. The tv got most its marks for its connectivity. Got a 4 from CNet for performance: Products in this range are below average. They fall the middle of the pack for most features, but suffer from a few additional major flaws. The rating was saved by its amount of features and its design

:rolleyes:

The point I was making was that sharpness is not an issue with this set. This is born out by the CNET review, and indeed only ONE review out of all I found makes any reference to sharpness problems.

You may well be right that it's not a set suited to sole 360 use. I wouldn't know, since I've not got a 360, but what I can say is that it hasn't posed any problems in what I have used it for: SKY telly, DVD via rgb, and plain old xbox for games and XBMC. I'm awaiting delivery of a xbox HD connector to see how 480p, 720p, and 1080i measure up, but so far I'm more than happy with what I've paid for.
    The absoulte minimum I would look for would be 16ms, but you can get some decent priced 6ms monitors out there
    16ms might be preferable for gaming, but I can't say 25ms causes problems for telly/dvd purposes.

My only complaint would be the gamut issues with ALL lcd displays (be they tellys or monitors), and the specific weakness of this dell set in darkest tones. But that's coming from years of being spoilt by the quality of image from a panasonic TX-32PF10 - which still kicks the arse of most current boxes you can buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

wrong thread. sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

alastair wrote:
    I'm awaiting delivery of a xbox HD connector to see how 480p, 720p, and 1080i measure up,

Can I ask where you got that & how much you paid? Make sure your you let us know how you get on with that man, I was looking at getting one.

skywalker wrote:
    Can I ask where you got that & how much you paid? Make sure your you let us know how you get on with that man, I was looking at getting one.

$18 dollars & postage from an ebay shop. I opted for the official microsoft connectors because the cable quality is supposed to be good, but lik-sang.com do a third party connector that's cheaper than the typical price of the official one.

You need to switch your xbox over to NTSC output with the HD output though.

I'll post up when it gets delivered and I've given it a bash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

They were looking for much more than that on the couple of websites I looked at, any chance of a link so I know exactly what to look for on ebay? Cheers

• Advertisement

This was it. Looks like he doesn't have any more though - non listed in his store.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8239313348&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Advertisement