Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moycullen broadband probs

• 04-12-2005 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Posted the following (Italics) in "Computers" folder, being unaware of the existence of this one so repeating here (with thanks to all who tried to help before)

Hello all,

Wondering if you can help me with a games related problem. I recently had wireless broadband installed via Cellcom who are the only providers in Moycullen, Co.Galway. As I understand it, they are drawing their signal from Irish broadband. It's 512 each way with a contention ratio of 20:1. I am quite happy with the service and browsing is fine.

When I try to game however, the multiplayer interface informs me that it has found 4000 odd servers (CoD2) but nothing ever appears in the menu. I have disabled my own firewall, windows firewall is already disabled. Irish broadband do not block ports and cellcom inform me that there should be no problem on their end. There are no router problems - I have a fixed ip address and all appropriate ports are open.

I downloaded Xfire and sometimes it will pick up on UK servers with good ping (50) but when I try to connect I just get "awaiting connection" for ages. I am totally frustrated by this and would be indebted to anyone who could offer a solution.

As an update, and most bizarrely, while fiddling around I suddenly found that CoD2 had detected a german server with a piing of 80. I was able to join this small server (12 players) and had fantastic, lag-free fun - in fact it was really smooth. I was called away after 20 minutes to attend to babies and when I got back the server was no longer appearing, nor were any other. At this point I think the problem must be with either my pc or ISP and since I was able to get on once I am guessing the latter. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Can you describe what exactly is between your Pc and the antenna getting the wireless signal from your ISP?

For example I had a problem where I could not get connections in on particular ports no matter what I tried ... it turns out that my dsl modem that is actually a little linux box (Dlink - DSL-300T) and it had its own firewall that is turned on by default ... after turning it off no more blocked ports ... I know you dont have this modem but possibly some similar problem....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

By any chance have you updated the game to the very latest version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Bemused

Signal from rooftop wireless modem passes through network adapter to Wireless router (DI524) and from there to PC. Router has its own firewall but I have opend the appropriate ports and still no go. I must stress that I had this problem before buying and installing the router anyway. All of my games are patched to latest.

Can't understand why I was able to get on to that single server this morning but nothing since. Bloody frustrating I can tell you.

Advertisement