Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VNC Not Working? or is it?

Options
  • 04-12-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I've set up a VNC server on one of my computers so I can use it when I'm away. I've configured the router and the windows firewall. Everything works fine when connecting from a computer that's inside the network (i.e.. 192.168.1.x), but I can't get it to work from outside the local network...
    The funny thing is when I check the connection on http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ it says
    Checking you out at IP address "194.46.239.xxx"...
    194.46.239.xxx is accepting connections on Display 0 (TCP port 5900).

What's going on? Could it be a problem with my ISP not allowing me to connect to VNC servers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Well...as you (accidentally?) left your IP address there for all to see, I just tried a VNC connection. Obviously, I don't have the password, but the fact that I am being asked for it indicates that your setup is correct. I'm running Linux here, and when I initiate the connection, I get the following response:
    VNC server supports protocol version 3.7 (viewer 3.3)

followed by a password prompt.

I also scanned your port 5900 (no other ports, I promise! :) ) with nmap, and the response was:
    Interesting ports on host-194-46-239-xxx.dsl-ie.utvinternet.net (194.46.239.xxx):
    PORT     STATE SERVICE
    5900/tcp open  vnc

All of the above shows that you are definitely open for business on port 5900. I reckon you need to focus on the other end for your troubleshooting i.e. what ISP are you using when you try to connect from outside your network - wifi hotspot, college LAN, mate's house, whatever?

Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Oops, just removed my IP (I should read over messages before I post them).

It's working now, when I vnc in from outside the network. It still doesn't work when I VNC from inside the network using the external IP address. I think it has something to do with my router configuration and I think I know what the problem is, I'll try and fix it next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

tomk you might want to remove his IP address from your scan ;)

So from what I've read you can't VNC from within your network to another machine within your network using the external IP?

If so, what happens when you dial your own phone number? It can't be done.

If you are doing internal <-> internal you'll have to use the internal IP's.

Advertisement