Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for something sporty...

Options
  • 04-12-2005 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I'm amazed I'm posting this in some ways since I love my Rover 75 but much as I enjoy wafting up and down the motorway in it's coddled luxury I've found myself wishing it was a bit more 'sporty'.

Having just turned 30 and with no babies on the scene for a couple more years I figure now's as good a time as any to endulge that feeling :D

However I do want to cling onto the luxurys that I've now become firmly attached to (namely climate control, heated seats, electric everything, leather trim etc.).

So I'm seriously looking for suggestions on what to look at in the new year... :confused:

Budget will be around €10k but may stretch to €15k for something special. Not very bothered about age of the car but reliability is important. I'd consider 2-seaters too but 4-seats(even if cramped in the back) would be better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

As A second car I take it ?? Your hardly replacing your Fully spec'd 75 for a cheap sporty car ??

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

HungryJoey wrote:
    As A second car I take it ?? Your hardly replacing your Fully spec'd 75 for a cheap sporty car ??

Hj

Yup thats the idea exactly. Mad as it sounds in some ways I can't justify running both so something has to give. It's a complete 360 in thinking tbh which is why I'm suprised myself i'm thinking about it. I love the 75 to bits but i find myself longing for a bit more 'attachment' to the road if you know what I mean. Never thought I would but there you go, must be from hanging around a 911 owning mate a bit too much recently :D

Thanks for the link squirrel but I don't think thats for me though I'd never say never until I've taken it for a test drive.

Having spend a couple of hours searching around the net it would seem the Mx5 could be a good choice (plus Hammond was just on Top Gear a few mins raving about it! :D ).

There seems to be a great Mx5 owners club and parts available online plus the right spec seems to be available too (i.e. leather/heated seats, aircon etc..).

But I'm open to ideas...

An alternative to a MX5 would be a MR2, either Mk2 T-Bar, or Mk3. Go to http://www.cbg.ie or http://www.carzone.ie and see what they have, that'd be your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

• Advertisement

eljono wrote:

Sweet Jesus :eek: Umm.. thanks for the link, I've no doubt it's a fantastic car but probably a bit too 'boy-racer' for me :D (Plus am I wrong in thinking it'd be a magnet for theft?).

If I'm going this route I may as well go convertable too hence the appeal of the Mx5. Thanks for the Mr2 alternative Squirrel I'll definately check that out. A quick scan of google would suggest they are pretty reliable too which is great.

From looking through the Mx5 owners club website it looks like there's a hardtop option too which would be perfect during the winter (the two are interchangeable). Could just leave the hardtop on for the cold months and then switch around when there's a chance I could have the top down.

So subject to having a few test drives the Mx5 and Mr2 are the front runners.... unless you know better.. :)

Bluehair wrote:
    Sweet Jesus :eek: Umm.. thanks for the link, I've no doubt it's a fantastic car but probably a bit too 'boy-racer' for me :D (Plus am I wrong in thinking it'd be a magnet for theft?).

If I'm going this route I may as well go convertable too hence the appeal of the Mx5. Thanks for the Mr2 alternative Squirrel I'll definately check that out. A quick scan of google would suggest they are pretty reliable too which is great.

From looking through the Mx5 owners club website it looks like there's a hardtop option too which would be perfect during the winter (the two are interchangeable). Could just leave the hardtop on for the cold months and then switch around when there's a chance I could have the top down.

So subject to having a few test drives the Mx5 and Mr2 are the front runners.... unless you know better.. :)

My dad has a Mk2 MR2 and it just sailed through it's NCT, it's 12 years old. I've no experience of the MX5, but it's a Mazda so should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you're looking for a wee sporty but reliable number, you can't go far wrong with either an MX-5 or an MR2. Obviously these are 2 seats only though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

MR2 are scary beasts! Crazily fast and they handle much better than the likes of Skylines etc as they are rear engined machines. Plus they dont at all shout out boy-racer etc.

Something like this is very tempting. I do prefer the look of the mkII but am not sure if I'm prepared to spend over double for that alone.

Two seats is a bit restrictive all right but my better half has a four seater and I could count on one hand the number of times I've had a need for more than two seats in the last year.

My main concern with the Mx5 would be security. Having a convertible would be great but I'd be worried about someone just cutting through the top to go after radios etc. or even the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

Bluehair wrote:
    . I'd consider 2-seaters too but 4-seats(even if cramped in the back) would be better.

How about a Nissan 200 Sx turbo...

4 Seats keep all your mod cons, and plenty of RWD fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

15k would get u a fully loaded Integra Type R like mine.Maybe a bit raw but OMG can it shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The MX5 won't give any grief, great resale if you get tired of it, great parts back-up and a nice car to drive .....the only down side is the "hairdressers car" image. The MR2's seem to give a fair bit of engine trouble and are awkward to work on.

junkyard wrote:
    The MX5 won't give any grief, great resale if you get tired of it, great parts back-up and a nice car to drive .....the only down side is the "hairdressers car" image. The MR2's seem to give a fair bit of engine trouble and are awkward to work on.

Been spending the evening with google and so far have read little else but rave reports about the Mx5. Will def try and test drive one soon.

Both the Honda and Nissan are damn fine cars but a bit 'too much' if you know what I mean. I borderline went crazy considering an old 911 earlier but am now coming back to my senses that a Mk2 Mx5 might be the best option so far.

How about a honda CRX Del Sol 1.6 165bhp and a transtop roof?A lot quicker than a MX-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JB123 wrote:
    How about a honda CRX Del Sol 1.6 165bhp and a transtop roof?A lot quicker than a MX-5.

FWD though... just not as much fun on wet roads!

Pity the s2000 is still so pricey.Id love one RWD+VTEC=:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Never heard of a Toyota give any trouble, unless its been badly abused. With all these cars getting a clean one is the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

junkyard wrote:

Nonsense. Toyotas are incredibly reliable.

The OP should bear in mind (as Squirrel pointed out) that there are 3 generations of MR2 and they are all very different to one another.

Mk 1:
    mki-roger.jpg

Mk 2:
    Mk2.jpg

Mk 3 (mine):
    IMG_3461.jpg

You're unlikely to get a Mk3 in your price range, but it is most directly comparable to an MX5. I think it's a better car, but reasonable people can disagree on this.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Alfa GT

you know it makes sense

edit: my bad, didnt see the budget until after i posted....still...you know it makes sense :D

DSC00326.JPG

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    MR2 are scary beasts! Crazily fast and they handle much better than the likes of Skylines etc as they are rear engined machines. Plus they dont at all shout out boy-racer etc.

Agreed. I drove a Mk2 MR2 2.0l turbo a few times. It is an animal.

Great fun to drive and light on its feet.
    Although put your foot down too hard and you could find it stepping out at odd times.

Scared the bollox out of me a few times. Although the owner says you get used to it.

Nuttzz wrote:
    Alfa GT

you know it makes sense

Love that car.

.. when the electrics are working ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I bought a new car for just under 15k recently hardly sporty but has all luxury's you talked about it's a Subaru Legacy, 2.5ltr AWD GX Auto:
    flynnstullow754.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

irish1 wrote:
    I bought a new car for just under 15k recently hardly sporty but has all luxury's you talked about it's a Subaru Legacy, 2.5ltr AWD GX Auto:
    flynnstullow754.jpg
    That's a class car.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Gorgeous machine. Very quick and at a good price, plus loadsa room
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=321353

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

The Saab is a very good suggestion if you want to keep the room etc of a normal car but the performance of a sports car, theres plenty of other options, have you considered any BMWs?, there's plenty of 3 series Coupes and Cabriolets available which will give you a very involved driving experience along with comfort, heres an example of one:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=325982

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

The Saab's a lovely car and having driven that model I know the kick off it in terms of performance. But I gather that its not the route he's looking to go for. Funny in a sense as I am probably about to go the opposite route. Turned 30 a while back and now looking to trade in my Mitsu FTO for something more practical as there will soon be more than two of us in the house.

I am not going to try and sell you the idea of getting one, but the one thing I will say is to check out insurance first before you go test driving and making your mind up. Even at 30, certain cars still cause problems.

After that, find something you like, check reviews and test drive it. I fully recommend doing it while you can. The feel of driving a light performance car is what liking cars is all about. Yes insurance can be an issue and you can't always carry more than 2 adults comfortably for long. Sometimes its not always that comfortable for the passenger. But for the driver its always worth it.

Practicality and comfort will be an issue. And you can have all the leather seats and climate controls you want, but most of these cars are low. So easy to get into, can be an issue getting out of.

So go for it now while you can. The Saab mentioned, the GTI's, etc etc balance performance with practicality and that's something that will suit you at any other time. The cars you are talking about won't.

The most important thing about these cars is the drive. You have to be able to put the foot down and smile. Otherwise there's no real point to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

How about a Toyota Altezza RS200, similar to a lexus is200 but comes with a 210bhp 2ltr yamaha beams tuned engine. Might be able to a get a '98 within your budget...

Ivan E wrote:
    The most important thing about these cars is the drive. You have to be able to put the foot down and smile. Otherwise there's no real point to them.

I hadn't even thought of the Saab mind you but will definately add it to the list of potentials.

The point you make above though is exactly what I'm thinking and now is as good a time to do it as any. I've a thread running in Classics where I'm giving serious thought to an old 912 too but that would be a helluva departure from creature comforts :D

Thanks for all the suggestions folks I really appreciate it, gives me lots of food for thought in the New Year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Ivan E wrote:

My sentiments exactly. That's exactly why I bought the MR2. No other considerations (what others think, for example) entered into the equation. It's simply the best driving car I could afford.

Advertisement