Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boogeyman

• 04-12-2005 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Setting the WWE back 200 years. I mean seriously wtf are they doing with this guy. I remember seeing him in the tough enough qualifiers and even then it was clear to everyone he was a little unstable. Now they have him eating worms onstage????? This character is not going anywhere, he makes heidenreichs character look like a harvard character. Who are they targeting with this guy?

I give him a month, anyone else take bets?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Moogle

I kind of liked the gimmick a bit but they have made two fatal mistakes so far with this character:

1) They have promoted him far too long without him having a televised match (which is the opposite to Lashley who has had matches but nothing in the way of character development - i think he needs to turn heel and get a manager to help develop him)

2) His first match was, as JR would say, "quicker than a hiccup". How about showing us what he can do? On the plus side, his opponent and the commentary team really sold him well

I'll give him two more matches before I pass judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Setting the WWE back 200 years. I mean seriously wtf are they doing with this guy. I remember seeing him in the tough enough qualifiers and even then it was clear to everyone he was a little unstable. Now they have him eating worms onstage????? This character is not going anywhere, he makes heidenreichs character look like a harvard character. Who are they targeting with this guy?

I give him a month, anyone else take bets?

The guy is awful. One minute they're making him look goofy by being a comedic character, then they are portraying him as mystical and scary.

I imagine he'll have a few more matches, then simply a few promos and after that he'll be sent down to OVW for development. He'll probably be released too.

Terrible character. What were they thinking? It's not the 80's any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I imagine he'll have a few more matches, then simply a few promos and after that he'll be sent down to OVW for development. He'll probably be released too.

Cann't see it think they have plans for him, why spend so much time promoting him and building up his first match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cann't see it think they have plans for him, why spend so much time promoting him and building up his first match?

What you mean like the plans they had for Mordecai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I love his promos. Although i can understand those that don't. Its just a pitty he can't wrestle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I'm going to wait it out on this guy. I found some of his skits entertaining. I know he's a joke but so long as he doesnt make any major waves at the minute i'm happy.

Anyone who whacks themselves over the head with a clock deserves a chance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I agree with Mr. Nice guy. The Boogey Man will go the path of Mordecai.

A few squash match wins over Velocity people, a few backstage promos, a loss to a more established star (like Mysterio), a demotion to OVW, then a release, and we never hear from Wright or this horrible character again. A completely happy ending. Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Simply fact of the matter is, where are all the guys from Tough Enough gone???

Answer? No where.

And this guy couldn't even make tough enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

That was because they felt he was too old,from what i can remember he lied about his age to get on the show!
    I am pretty sure he had wrestled before the show and was the most built.

I think I will give him more time to see what they do with him.

They could make him KANES bitch

• Advertisement

The funny thing is, they made such an example out of him on Tough ( "You lied to us, and i can't stand a liar" ).

Yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dragan wrote:
    Simply fact of the matter is, where are all the guys from Tough Enough gone???

Answer? No where.

And this guy couldn't even make tough enough.

The reason he couldn't get on Tough Enough is because he was outside the age limit. So he legally couldn't get on it

Johnny Nitro's done pretty well for himself though. Easily the most successful TE guy. Matt Capotelli was meant to debut a while ago, but he broke his arm/leg (forget which) just before he was meant to appear on tv

I never thought Dan Puder would do too well, I think the mistake that year was that the fans voted on every guy, and they voted for Puder regardless of whether he was actually able to wrestle or not. Maven could have done alright at one stage I think, the fans where into him when he came back from some injury, but they didn't push him when they should have

Puder got a lot of respect off the crowd because he was a good shoot fighter.

I think he would have done far better on The Ultimate Fighter than on Tough Enough. He was a very good little scrapper and it would have been nice to see him in his natural environment.

He beat a lot of the other competitors in the little comps because he was simply a better athlete, and he had a look and an attitude which seemed to be going down well with the crowd.

However, being an athlete and being a sports entertainer are two vastly different babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I have to admit that I find the Boogyman gimmick very funny for the moment anyway. While it is extremely cartoonish, it does hold some entertainment value (for the moment at least). I think Wright is doing a better job portraying this weird character than most would do, and that he's doing everything thats asked of him: stuff a lot of other guys probably wouldnt do and deserves credit for that. Can you imagine Orton, Batista, or Cena eating a handful of live worms or smashing a clock over their head everyweek...not likely.

However, the novelty of this gimmick will surely have worn off within a month or two: WWE are gonna have a hard time keepin this fresh. Still, id be willing to give the man a chance: afterall he's clearly trying.

A few people have questioned why he wasnt given more time in his match to show what he can do in the ring. The simple fact is that he cant do very much. From the OVW reviews i've read, i understand he is hopeless (i suppose thats understandable enough given that he's only been training a few months)! With that in mind, it has to be said that WWE have done a very good job in booking Marty Wright. They're playing to his strengths: his obvious charisma, and hiding his weakness: his wrestling ability or lack thereof.

Once he doesnt have to go for more than 2 or 3 minutes in the ring for the moment, he does at least have some chance (small as that may be).

Can you imagine Orton, Batista, or Cena eating a handful of live worms or smashing a clock over their head everyweek...not likely.

The reason for this is simple. It's wrestling not Fear Factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Very true, Lita Forever - its wrestling, not fear factor. I still think Wright deserves credit for going the extra mile to portray the Boogeyman character by doing things as ridiculously crazy as eating a handful of worms or smashing a clock over his head once a week! The fact that he's doing these things (that very few would be prepared to do) is making the Boogyman character more effective.

And there have been some great wrestlers based solely on character strenght as opposed to wrestling ability........

case in point......Mr Foley.

Dragan wrote:
    And there have been some great wrestlers based solely on character strenght as opposed to wrestling ability........

case in point......Mr Foley.

Questioning Mick Foley's wrestling ability is wrong on so many levels. Chris Benoit he was not. But in his prime as a main eventer he delivered more often than not. I could list all the matches but I won't bother.

I can see what your saying but a better example would be in my opinion a guy like Ultimate Warrior. It was his character, his entrance, his gimmick, his music wall that jazz that got him over moreso than his wrestling ability.

Of course its not wrong to question Mick wrestling ability. The man himself will admit that when it comes to doing most moves, he is lost at see.

Can Mick wrestle. Nope, not really. Did Mick put on some of the best matches in History. Yes he bloody well did.

Being a great Sports Entertainer and being a great wrestler are two vastly different things. In my opinion, Mick is one of the best Sports Entertainers who ever lived. Why? He would put everything into his matches, literally risking his life on a few occasions. Can you imagine if he came down off that cage wrong??? But nope, Mick pulled it off, because Mick always did.

Lots of people owe about 50% of there career to matches they did with Mick. You think anyone would rate Trips, Angle or Austin as highly if they hadn't been through some of the matches that Foley gave them????

He gave Orton a platform to kick his fan base to the next level and man the kid took it.

Mick worked on a program of brutally and simply, solid moves he could deliver 10 time out of 10. But his matches were great simply because he MADE THEM GREAT, not because of any move he ever did.

So no, Mick is not a great wrestler. But he is great.

Dragan wrote:
    Lots of people owe about 50% of there career to matches they did with Mick. You think anyone would rate Trips, Angle or Austin as highly if they hadn't been through some of the matches that Foley gave them????

He gave Orton a platform to kick his fan base to the next level and man the kid took it.

So no, Mick is not a great wrestler. But he is great.

Totally agree with all of the above. A true great.

• Advertisement

I still think Wright deserves credit for going the extra mile to portray the Boogeyman character by doing things as ridiculously crazy as eating a handful of worms or smashing a clock over his head once a week!

Okay. No doubt he deserves a little credit for going through with some things he's been asked to do. I wouldn't go overboard with it though. The fact is, the vast majority of superstars will do what is asked of them by WWE. It's the rule, not the exception.

Remember Lita posing in her lingerie at WWE New York? She's said she felt extremely uncomfortable with that. Hang on though, I can think of a much better one than that. Do you think that she wanted her dirty laundry aired worldwide and to be judged by people who didn't have a clue about the real situation ? No of course not, but WWE wanted it so WWE got it.

Do you think Trish Stratus wanted to walk around on all fours and bark like a dog? Come to think of it, do you think ANY of the women Vince has been with on screen wanted to be potryed as his sluts?

Remember the Tommy Dreamer character in 2002? The one that ate hair off the ground among other things?

How about J.R and William Regal literally kissing Vince's ass?

I could go on and on about this but long story short, in WWE they do what is asked of them. No matter how personal or physically disgusting it is. So no, Wright doesn't deserve any great special praise for going along with it. Sure he deserves some, but no more than anyone else in WWE gets. Besides if he refused to do it, there's plenty more people that would have been glad to.

But being a great wrestler is not just being innovative or creative in the ring. Its not jsut being able to do 10 moves, 20 moves or 30 moves.Being able to wrestle an hour. Being a great wrestler for me is being beleivable in the ring and that can tell a story.
    Could Mick do an over the top corksrew spiining yokie me bob over the top rope? No but wrestling its so varied. It go's back to when someone said who is the greatest ever wrestler. Wrestling encompassess so many aspects and styles that its like saying what makes a great dancer. My point is that dancing like wrestling has so many different styles, aspects to it that saying what is great and what is not great is difficult business. You can use a Benoit an Angle a Bret Hart or an Eddie Guerrero as your template and by God there dam good templates. But to repeat myself wrestling is so varied and it evolves as time go's by that great wrestling is a very subjective thing.

So the fact that Mick Foley put on great matches, had some amazing promos and made the absolute most out of his potential, made more stars then anyone I can think of makes him in my eyes a great wrestler, told great stories in the ring made him different but great wrestler.

PS. Bogeman to beat Undertaker at wrestelamania! Oh I would laugh.

Advertisement