Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you buy FF XII ?

• 04-12-2005 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Will you buy Final Fantasy XII? or do you think its getting old ?

FF XII News

Will you buy FF XII? 37 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    89% 33 votes
    Unsure
    10% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

No I most certainly won't. Having previously been a huge final fantasy fan since 1997, I've totally lost faith in Squaresoft and their ability to make games since FFX-2 and the shambles that was Advent Children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If its in any way good, then yes. Bit of strange question to be asking :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Just seeing how many people have lost "faith" in square, and the FF franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ah, ok.

Well, after they made FF11 an online game, im expecting FF12 to be very good and by that I mean something truely special, or else ill probably jump ship for good.

Not counting X-2, it'll be 4 years between PAL releases of FFX and FFXII :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll buy it. I just hope I don't regret it like with FFX-2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 miss_cheif

I'll more likely end up getting it, but X-2 is definetly a disapointment, mainly because of the mission based outline which tends to get on your nerves. But I've heard good things about XII and its battle system which is based on XI's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I probably won't get it immediately (Thus is the nature of being broke), and by the time I can possibly get it, I'll have heard lots about and make my decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I probably will get it yes. I'll be the first to admit that my faith in Squareenix has been shaken by the tripe they've been throwing out at us for the past while but I hardly think that means that all their future works are going to be crap.

I also like to think that because they've been at the game for so long that they must be working fairly hard on at and therefore it won't be crap. Perhaps a little optimistic but whenever it comes out I'll probably buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Spongey

I'll buy it when it comes out, but after the shambles that was x-2 i'm not as sure about buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

grimloch wrote:
    they must be working fairly hard on at and therefore it won't be crap. Perhaps a little optimistic by whenever it comes out I'll probably buy it.

And that is why I will but it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd buy it just to see if its any use and if its crap it ends up on the pile >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Ya ill buy it i rekon they'll have learned from the mistake that was X 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

I myself will most likely rent it for a week first and then buy it if it is any good.
    After the total crap of X-2 and the annoying MMORPG that was FFXI (Yes, I'm broke too) this has better be special.

And I meen REALLY special, Pant-wetting-with-a-substance-that-is-most-certainly-not-urine kind of special, or else I will jump clear off the boat, swim to shore and not even look back to spit.
    [/end rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lionheart84

I believe that with the disasturous game ffx-2 they had better justify the wait for the games and it should worth it it looks a bit like ff-9 but should be good they badly need a final fantasy seven again....
    Yes i will be gettin the new ff 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i'll buy it, but it will have to be up there with x and vii for me to play through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

I'm going to do what Leman said too. (tough I have no intention of wetting my pants with any substance*) Rent it for a weekend at about a fiver and then see what its like. I figure thats the best option after I was really excited and bought X-2...... and ..... ya......:(

Though I have seen alot of stuff on the internet and a few of the movies flying around and I must say it looks impressive. They have put some worrying work in to the graphics. I just hope that doesn't mean they took it away from the story and playability

*pfft I dont want to have to wash them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 User_13

Eh, maybe maybe not. I dunno, there are so many Final Fantasy's out there these days. I didn't even finish X (which I still regret to this day). I sold all my Final Fantasy games (relax, I didn't have any of the awesome originals) to buy new releases at my local game store. Plus, I'm getting my 360 on Christmas day, so I don't think I'll be spending as much quality time with my PS2 as I used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

As much as I hate to pander to lazy game developers, I'll definitely be buying it, and Square Enix know full well that the majority of fans will buy it regardless. All they really have to do is put "Final Fantasy" on the box and the cash will roll in.

They can't do that forever though, people are already wary of yet another half-assed addition to the Final Fantasy series. Hopefully this one might go some way to redeeming the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just played the Demo there and I'm disappointed with how little it shows and also with the battle system. The CGI is beautiful (as if it wasn't going to be) but the demo shows nothing of the story only 2 dungeon areas. The battle system is completely different. It feels nothing like a FF game. It's fast but there is absolutely no strategy involved in the battles. Inputting commands seperately for each character by pausing it for each one id absolute madness. Other than that its hard to know how it will turn out. It really doesn't give much of an indication of what the final game will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Yes, yes i will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Deoxys

yeah but the demo of X that you got with six was the same it showed nothing.But im definitely getting it.Im just waiting for them to bring out the next VII they got closest with IX but not quite there.I mean Kingdom Hearts was excellent! And the battle system is the same in XII i just wonder if its gona be the same as in KH that the other two members of your team just do what they want.But im definitely getting it it looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Inputting commands seperately for each character by pausing it for each one id absolute madness.
    like in KotoR?
    damn.

Deoxys wrote:
    yeah but the demo of X that you got with six was the same it showed nothing.But im definitely getting it.Im just waiting for them to bring out the next VII they got closest with IX but not quite there.I mean Kingdom Hearts was excellent! And the battle system is the same in XII i just wonder if its gona be the same as in KH that the other two members of your team just do what they want.But im definitely getting it it looks great!

The FFXII demo shows even less believe it or not. It's just two dungeon areas with a crap mission in each which is basically find the boss and kill him. Thats it. No story bits or interaction with the characters.

The battle system is also nothing like Kingdom hearts. Kingdom Hearts was a Beat em up disguised as an RPG. FFXII gives you no control over characters actions. You can move them but you can't dodge attacks. You then enter commands and wait for them to be executed. It's nothing like a KH.
    like in KotoR?

Nope worse. In KOTOR you could enter commands for all your characters during the pause screen and queue commands. In FFXII you pause it and can only enter 1 command per character. You have to pause again (or not pause in the other battle system) and enter 1 command for the other character.Then when the attack is over you have to enter it again if you don't want them to preform the default attack (which is editable in the full game). The battle system is very like KOTORs. I hated KOTORs battle system and this one is even worse. However the battle system never stopped KOTOR being great so there is some hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Oh my dear god! I got so into Dragon Quest i have completely forgotten to try the demo!

Cannot wait to go home now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

ill buy it...i might regret it but i gotta...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

is dragon quest viii out in europe already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I'll give square one more chance, but they're on thin ice with me. Battle system sounds pants though.

I thought kotor's battle system was ok, Better then turn based anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iofur

Surely I cant be the only person out there who enjoyed FFX-2. Ok it was girly and it lacked any real decent storyline but it still entertained me for hours on end!

Anyway I will be buying FFXII it looks Delish!

Plus I have played FFTactics and app. the systems aren't too dissimilar!

The system is nothing like Final Fantasy Tactics. The only thing similar is that FF Tactics Advance and FFXII are set in the same world, Ivalice. Didn't really like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Much preferred every other game like it, Advance Wars, Shining Force, Front Mission etc. It was dire compared to the utterly fantastic Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 (completely different games).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iofur

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The system is nothing like Final Fantasy Tactics. The only thing similar is that FF Tactics Advance and FFXII are set in the same world, Ivalice. Didn't really like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Much preferred every other game like it, Advance Wars, Shining Force, Front Mission etc. It was dire compared to the utterly fantastic Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 (completely different games).

I was told it was very like Tactics Advance, and I know that the only real connection to Tactics was the setting (drool Ivalice....)

And what was so wrong with Tactics?

Ok the storyline was appauling! I mean when one of the main characters deep dark secrets was she dyed her hair...I was so annoyed but I liked the battle system!

Advertisement