Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shin splints?

• 04-12-2005 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

hi,

while running a fair bit last year on a treadmill in a gym, i suffered all the symptoms of shin splints, of course, i read up about them, and concluded a new pair of runners and plenty of rest was needed,

now, heres the snag, thats been a year now and still the pain persists, in fact, i now have constant swelling on my left leg, just above the knuckle of the ankle

i was wondering, would any of you here have a notion of what the problem is, or be able to refer a decent sports injury physiotherapist?

thanks alot, and any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've never had shin splints anywhere near as bad as you describe. I thought that the reason for them was an imbalance between the calf and shin muscles, with the calf ones generally being stronger.

The suggested remedy was to stand up and lean back on your heels, thus contracting the muscles on the front. I used to do reps of leaning back, hold for 5 secs, and then rock forward onto my toes for 5 secs, the latter to take a break from the shin muscle contraction and stretch it out a bit. This worked for me but my pain was trivial compared to what you describe.

Having said all that, it sounds like your shins really need medical help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

cheers for the info

i think a physio is the only answer, its a real pain in the arse, or shins, if i actually run across the road to catch a bus, something as trivial as that, my leg is in bits for a good week or so

i wonder if i tore a muscle, and thats what the swelling is, sure we both know the only way to find out

thanks alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

If you had pulled a muscle it would not still be hurting 1 year later. A pulled muscle will heal itself in a week or 2 depending on how badly it is injured and how much rest you take. If it has been sore consistantly for 1 year, even when you cross the road then it seems to be something a bit more then a pulled muscle. It could be that you fibula is slight out of line, and thus causing stress on the surrounding muscle about the maleoli "knuckle".

You definitely need a trip to a Physio, or even a Physical Therapist (www.iapt.ie for one in your area).

Good luck, and post back when you get a diagnosis.

Domer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

are you running with a slope or gradient on the threadmill????
    if you are go back to the flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Hi, Seems like what I had at the beginning of the year. I went to City Physio in Lucan and my shin splints went away in a couple of weeks. The swelling is inflamation and will go away with anti-inflamitaries. My shin splints were caused by the way my feet were hitting the ground. The solution was orthotics or inserts....and of course alot of rest. I was told to rest for a month to 6 weeks, but was so anxious to run I went out after 2 weeks and to be honest haven't had shinsplints since. By the way I was also told to to a few exercises mainly squats. One foot in front of the other and kind of sit down.
    Hope it clears up cause I know what a pain it is.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

thanks for the replies lads, all much appreciated

Ziggy, i think ill go to your physio

oh, and va nistelroy, its funny, the first time the pain occured was the one and only time i put the threadmill on an incline

ill hit the physio after christmas, thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 astarte

I read recently that if you train on a treadmill you should have it at a slight incline as this compensates for the lack of wind resistance when training inside.

sounds like you do need a physio and a podiatrist to perhaps check out if you need orthotics in your shoes, If you pronate badly when you run (Roll inwards) you need shoes with a lot of motion control. When I was last in London I got my shoes in 'Sweatshop" in Harrods, they have a treadmill and a camera that analyses your foot strike on the surface and they can recommend the best shoes...sounds expensive, doesnt it...but its a free service and the sales people really know their stuff, unlike the shops I tried here. The shoes I bought there were cheaper than the ones I was recommended to buy here.

also for a lot of really good information on shoes, injuries, shinsplints, training etc..check out www.runnersworld.co.uk website, its brilliant, they have heaps of information on everything to do with running and most of it is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭wexhun

I can sympathise, I used to be crippled with shin splints. I literally used to go home and ice my shins it was that bad! I asked for advise at my gym and my trainer told me to avoid the threadmill for a while going on the cross trainer, beach or best of all grass. I also had to change my running technique which took a whole lot of getting used to! Also after xcersizing I was told to stand, putting one foot behind, toes faceing down and stretch your shins in a way. Combnation of everything helped!

Advertisement