Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberal??

Options
  • 05-12-2005 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

i am generally liberal on most things except abortion and economics(but i beleive in a social welfare safety net for ill old and temporarily unemployed and large funding for 3rd world countries),can i call myself liberal if i beleive liberal economics(often called right wing economics) is the best solution -at the moment- to allocating scarce resources?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

yes of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

i am generally liberal on most things except abortion and economics(but i beleive in a social welfare safety net for ill old and temporarily unemployed and large funding for 3rd world countries),can i call myself liberal if i beleive liberal economics(often called right wing economics) is the best solution -at the moment- to allocating scarce resources?

A liberal economist isn't necessaryly the same thing as a liberal on social issues. I think the term "liberal" is generally used today more when talking about social issues (gay rights, asylum seekers that kinda thing).

A liberal economist would, as you say, hold capatist free market views. These views are often (though not always) not held by people who would consider themselves socially liberal (in Europe at least, in America you get groups that believe government regulation should stay the hell out of everything from economics to the bed room.)

But you can call yourself anything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,969 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wicknight wrote:
    in America you get groups that believe government regulation should stay the hell out of everything from economics to the bed room.
    Funny then that America (in certain states at least) has quite a few laws prohibiting bedroom activities between consenting adults...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement