Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want home entertainment but not TV!

• 05-12-2005 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Ok, maybe we're odd, but we don't watch broadcast television at home. Almost never anyway. However, we do enjoy watching videos and dvds regularly.

So I would like to keep the ability to watch our rented movies, but don't want to have to pay a TV license fee every year for the privilege.

What options are there, that allow us to this -- legally I mean!

Also there is a working TV aerial on the house - are we supposed to get rid of that too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Could you get an lcd panel / crt monitor and hook it up to your stystem. Would he still need the TV licence if their unit has no TV tuner in it does anyone know? Working aerial is fine, its the TV set you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The tax is for any device capable of receiving a television signal. As optiplexgx270 says, you could use an LCD that doesn't have a tuner in it. Or just watch DVD's on your PC, or maybe you could break the RF connection going into a standard TV and then if they come knocking show them that you're not receiving signal... although they might not like that too much.

John

As it happens....
    What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
    Bristol
    BS98 1TL

I assume there's something similar for Ireland.... Ring/Write to the license people.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭frost

thanks!

sounds like my tv would need to be clearly disabled from receiving tv if i want to keep it. any electronics whizzes out there know how hard that would be?

i suppose i will contact An Post directly. since an inspector already called to my door the other day (i admitted nothing, he seemed to assume i had a tv, and told me there wasn't any rush to get a license and gave me a receipt which i can't decipher), i'm on their database to be revisited soon anyway, so best take the lead in this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

you could get a cheap projector.

just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

frost wrote:
    thanks!

sounds like my tv would need to be clearly disabled from receiving tv if i want to keep it. any electronics whizzes out there know how hard that would be?

Someone that I know, took a pliers to the Cable in socket. He just mangled it good. Aparently the Licence inspector took it okay. But I would check with the Licencing Authority first anyway.

You would have to do it to all tuners like video and HDR etc too.

L.

Sparky_S wrote:

just a thought.

interesting idea. any suggestions?

Eh.... Did you read my reply?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

nereid wrote:
    Someone that I know, took a pliers to the Cable in socket. He just mangled it good. Aparently the Licence inspector took it okay. But I would check with the Licencing Authority first anyway.

You would have to do it to all tuners like video and HDR etc too.

L.

Is the cable socket not the property of the cable company? Is it yours to mutilate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

BrianD wrote:
    Is the cable socket not the property of the cable company? Is it yours to mutilate?

The cable socket on the wall is probably the property of NTL all right- you might want to check your T&C's before doing something like that...
    :
    :
    :
    However, I was referring to the cable socket (also known as Aeriel/RF) on the back of all the appliances (TV/Video/HDR/PVR/USB Tuner etc) that the OP owns.

Butchering the NTL socket on the wall does not inhibit your ability to plug an Aerial/Coat hanger into the back of your TV or whatever and therefore still be able to use the TV Tuner on that device.

I think one has to demonstrate/argue their case that they can in fact NOT decode or display ANY broadcast pictures on ANY of the tuners in that house.

L.

• Advertisement

Sparky-s wrote:

I've since had a loan of a projector and we tried it out on our wall and it is great, especially compared to watching DVD's on my laptop! ;-)

So if it's affordable, I'm looking to find a basic projector. I'm a bit concerned about the life of the bulb as the replacement costs are very high

Any suggestions make/model/Irish suppliers?
    Thanks

Advertisement