Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not for sale in the United Kingdom

Options
  • 05-12-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this.

I just bought a FM2006 online from a UK company. I just received it in the post and it has written on the front of it "Not for sale in the United Kingdom".

Now I know we don't live in the UK but just wondering if anyone knows what this means? Will it have any effect on the game??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

which company? play.com or something?

I bought Medal of Honour from play.com a few years ago, and it was all in german :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I bought Medal of Honour from play.com a few years ago, and it was all in german :D

Do they make any changes to the in game graphics for the German versions? I thought it was illegal for them to make use of any of the Nazi uniforms or logos in games in Germany still, which would be a bit of a problem for games like Medal of Honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whenever I buy a PC game from CDWow, its usually an asian (english) version, slightly different box or whatever, but the game itself is usually the exact same. Its probably just published by somebody else in a different region.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I had "not for sale outside US" when I got Deus Ex: Invisible War from the US a couple years ago (when there was a few month difference to being released here).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Got it from mx2 (www.mx2.xo.uk).

Can't wait to get home and try it but curious about the Not for Sale line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

It doesn't really make any difference to the game. It's just to stop retailer importing from "unofficial" sources due to price differences in different regions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

The game will (probably) have needed a BBFC certificate in order to be sold in the UK. What you've picked up is a version of the packaging that doesn't have a BBFC logo on it.

If the discs have linear videos that can be played outside the game then there will almost certainly have been a requirement that the game be reviewed by the BBFC and this would have meant the packaging and disc label has the BBFC logo and registration number.

If you're really curious you could do a search on bbfc.co.uk to see if they've rated that product.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Thanks for that. I wonder if MK2 could source them cheaper than the ones that can be sold in the UK?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I remember ordering "The Thing" on xbox from play. Got the german version and had to send it back by which time they had run out of english versions and they had stopped being made - never did get to play that game and it was supposed to have been very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

With a game like FIFA it is probably something to do with the licensing of the players and stuff. Maybe they can only put good old Wayne Roony on the front in the UK and they have someone else for European or Asian versions

I wouldn't worry about it, the game will probably be exactly the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

good point and a very likely reason - although the licensing would have been worldwide the packaging would vary country to country (witness Duffer on some of the ads/packaging here) to take advantage of local heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

FIFA 06 packaging does differ regionally. My FIFA 06 on ds here in the us has Ronaldinho/Freddy Adu/Some Mexican on the front, whereas I think it's Rooney/Ronaldinho for the UK

The game is one of the buggiest console/handheld games I've ever played.

Advertisement