Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Wireless???

• 05-12-2005 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does the wireless in the library work?? I can get online everywhere else but not the library

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

ye it does, i'm on it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

i had some prob last week getting on in the library on level 2. Could get a signal no prob but couldn't get an ip address from dhcp server. SO connected using cable instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah it does work on the 2nd floor.i was on it yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

on it now in the law section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

had trouble getting an ip on the third floor of the library but after trying again and again finally succeeded:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

works grand in the 4th floor anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

There's wireless in the library? Finally :D

Indeed

And its great so many people share their iTunes music on it

Ok I'm up on level 2 (towards the back) and although I can get a strong signal I can't get assigned an ip address. Prehaps one of the AP's is fubar'd

I'd guess the no. of dhcp leases on that ap is maxed out. I have that prob most days and keep trying untill I get it, perhaps when someone else logs off??

• Advertisement

mmm i was in early enough and not many people around so not sure. Anyway I connect thru cable most times so its not a prob for me. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has the same prob in my location

That does tend to suggest something else

Has anyone else been told to plug out their laptop in the library if you had it plugged into a socket across a path. I hate health and safety, it's not like there are nearly enough designated laptop desks(with sockets) or ordinary computers for everyone. Now my poor computer has only 20 mins left to live!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

humbert wrote:
    Has anyone else been told to plug out their laptop in the library if you had it plugged into a socket across a path. I hate health and safety, it's not like there are nearly enough designated laptop desks(with sockets) or ordinary computers for everyone. Now my poor computer has only 20 mins left to live!!!:mad:

It's about ****ing time too! I nearly snotted myself in the Law section over the weekend. Why does everyone need a laptop anyway? I'd say from the look of most of the students I saw in the law area, most of them had computers at home anyway

what annoys me is when people sit at the "computer" desks who aren't using a laptop. Go sit somewhere else! I need power!

It's about ****ing time too! I nearly snotted myself in the Law section over the weekend. Why does everyone need a laptop anyway? I'd say from the look of most of the students I saw in the law area, most of them had computers at home anyway

I think someone was ogling the pretty law girls, tripped, they laughed and now hates laptops:)
    Just joking, you prob have a point, I was constantly afraid someone would trip on mine and damage my computer(I'm such a compassionate soul).

Yea gotta hate those gits occupying much need laptop desks, they are nice desks though. I'm down in arts now and getting funny looks with all my electrodynamics stuff on the desk, I think they think I'm an alien writing plans to conquer their puny world in my native language:p

humbert wrote:
    I think someone was ogling the pretty law girls, tripped, they laughed and now hates laptops:)
    Just joking, you prob have a point, I was constantly afraid someone would trip on mine and damage my computer(I'm such a compassionate soul).

Yea gotta hate those gits occupying much need laptop desks, they are nice desks though. I'm down in arts now and getting funny looks with all my electrodynamics stuff on the desk, I think they think I'm an alien writing plans to conquer their puny world in my native language:p

Damn tongue...back into the mouth with ya! Ah no, I've plenty of hot Med girls to focus my attention on ;)

Seriously though, I really don't get it. Most of the laptops I see either have lecture notes on the screen, which cost a lot less to print off than a laptop, or they're chatting to one of their other richkid friends (who's probably within 30 metres anyway) on MSN Messenger. What's the point?

Green eyed monster!!! :p

But seriously, a lot of the laptops belong to commerce people and before someone gets into a "comm is full of D4 rich kids" rant, they're required to have a laptop to do their course.

And I know of several students from other faculties who buy laptops with their own cash earned by working part time.

So less of the rich kid sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Seriously though, I really don't get it. Most of the laptops I see either have lecture notes on the screen, which cost a lot less to print off than a laptop, or they're chatting to one of their other richkid friends (who's probably within 30 metres anyway) on MSN Messenger. What's the point?

Well, Id choose a laptop on both counts there. Why lug around text books, folders of notes and a whole manner of other sh*te when you can just bring the laptop with everything on it? Searching through lecture notes or texts is a simplified process. Youre saving the f*cking rainforest aswell to add to the bargain.
    Id also rather type a message to a buddy on msn rather than engage in a conversation in the library and disturb all the precious study going on....
    Just own up - You want a laptop dont you....:D

Fair enough, I'll take back the rich kid thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

humbert wrote:
    I'd guess the no. of dhcp leases on that ap is maxed out. IQUOTE]

What is this gobbeldygook you speak-sounds like another language to me?!

allow ur friendly nerd to translate.

Every time you connect to a network or internet your pc/laptop has a unique address called an ip address.

now this ip address can be obtained in 2 ways: Static or dynamic.

Static ip addresses are always the same. Dynamic ones are, well, dynamic.

In order to get a different ip address each time, your pc/laptop contacts a server when it first connects to the wireless network in ucd. This server is called a dhcp server. It will give each laptop/pc an unique ip address. But it usually has a finite number of ip addresses to give out. So if too many people try and connect then eventually all the addresses will be in use and you won't be able to connect.

that help?

It's is, it goes by nerdspeak or technobabble, which ever you prefer. I'm unwilling to be the nerd that starts explaining this under the illusion that someone cares but simply it means no more room at the inn!:cool:

oops i was a bit slow on the response there...no offence irlrobins

:(

feel kinda guilty bout that:( , good explaination though...

ah i'm only kidding.... no offense taken....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

On Monday it took me about an hour to get connected. I had to study til then!
    Maybe they should keep it like that actually... :)

at first I thought great, I can look up things without disrupting my study, but having spending the last hour playing 'seconds of madness' and various similar fhm games, emailing everyone I've been meaning to email for about a month and now, having got caught ogling what I think is the most attractive blond I've ever seen, posting here(in order to look busy), I’m not sure it’s having an entirely positive effect:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I've been in the library for hours this evening, having to spend the whole time doing C programing cos it wouldnt let me connect :( Now it decides to let me connect just as the place is about to close...

• Advertisement

void poor_blondie(void){
    printf("Isn't C great:cool: \r\n");
    return;
    }

Advertisement