Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a property

Options
  • 05-12-2005 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Is it best to wait till January

There isnt much out there at the moment... is that because of christmas that everything is quiet...

what do people recomend??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Is this an investment property ...if so, I'd advise caution, as it is not a very liquid asset if you want to sell at a time that you can choose.

However, if it's for a home, and you're in it for the long haul, then in the long run (20/30 years) then I think you should look around now.

The market is extremely 'hot' at the moment, especially first time buyers market.

With christmas out of the way, a 'giveaway' buget coming up, 100% mortgages and SSIA's maturing, and supply not meeting demand the market is going to keep increasing in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

Its a home but would be hoping to sell in 7-9 years....

I really wanna get my foot on the property ladder....

Is december usually quiet for propertys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If you're buying a first home and hoping to sell in a few years, go for any tax breaks you can get. I don't know what they are at the moment, but there's usually breaks for things like newly-built apartments in the city centre. Others can clarify.

The tax breaks, including stamp duty breaks, take a few thou off the price, and make a huge difference to your repayments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

the advantage to buying now is that you probably won't have too many people bidding against you with christmas coming up, that would certainly be a plus for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Its a home but would be hoping to sell in 7-9 years....

I really wanna get my foot on the property ladder....

Is december usually quiet for propertys

I've just gone 'sale agreed' on my house at the weekend, and I can assure you that the market is very hot indeed, so if it is for a home, and won't be materially affected by any possible 'blip', I think you should move now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Once you see what you want go for it,
    Decide location,
    Have your mortgage approved in principal or at least know how much they will give you,
    New or second hand?

Happy searching:)

Advertisement