Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Disgrace!!

Options
  • 05-12-2005 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I was disgusted yesterday when i went to pick up Call of Duty 2 for xBox360 last night. Went into game, and they wanted €79.99 for it. Criminal.

Crossed the road to PC World - €64.99.

Thats FIFTEEN EURO in the difference.

How can they be getting away with this? I can accept a €5 difference, but €15? Thats a joke.

I went into Xtra Vision and asked if they had any games, they want €74.99 for every game. They guy said something like 'theyre the same everywhere man' - eh, no. Goto Smiths/PC World/Argos and they are €64.99 and €69.99, which is still expensive but someway resonable compared to the others.

Also, HMV wanted €99.99 for the wireless adapter. I got it €15 cheaper in the same shopping centre also. Some retailers really are havin a laugh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

thats what the net is for, get everythign cheaper online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

and you should know by now that GAME are one of the most expensive shops around.

It is a disgrace though and the reason why I rarely buy on the high street when it comes to games unless its something in the bargain bin :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Just like everything - always shop around!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A nationwide boycott of GAME, thats what i reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

sound_wave wrote:
    and you should know by now that GAME are one of the most expensive shops around.

Yeah, but usualy only by a fiver. €15 more should be considered financial rape if ya ask me,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sure GAME are selling Civ 4 for €55 where everyone else is selling it for €35 (cause thats the RRP), and you can get it on Play.com for €28 (or something like that)

I would never buy something from GAME unless I was certain it could not be bought cheaper somewhere else. Sometimes they have good sales, and their "Deal of the Week" price isn't bad (FEAR from €30 is good), but generally they have a messed up pricing system. You will find a game priced €55 and down the row a bit the same game on Players Choice for €25 (or worse still the same game on Players Choice for the original €55)

And don't get me started on their pricing system for second hand games. €49.99 for a second hand Res Evil 4 ... yeah right ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

GAME once attempted to extract 40.00 euro from me for doom3: resurrection of evil. An expansion pack that costs 25-29 euro in other shops. Absolute scam artists.
    Tho last week in game henry st they couldve been fleeced, as they had mistakenly priced all copies of brothers in arms:earned in blood at 29.99. They realised and changed all the stickers just as i was about to buy it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

was in there before buying monkey ball for the gba, when igot up to the register it was 49.99 everywhere else was 35 i think but i was returning something so i had to get it there, so i said to the manager "do you match prices" he grumbled a yes so i got him to ring smyths who confirmed that price so i got it cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

delly wrote:
    A nationwide boycott of GAME, thats what i reckon!

i'm with ya

my brother and his buddies were on a trek into town to buy a 360 game. i yelled at them "hark, for thy been spendin more money then thoust hast to" and showed them the way of the interweb

all hail the glorious interweb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sinecurea wrote:
    Just like everything - always shop around!

Exactly, its just like anything else "Buyer beware"

Its upto you as a consumer to shop around and get the best deal, anybody that pays the extra 15e is at the bottom of the gene pool and they deserve to pay extra for being so stupid.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

madrab wrote:
    was in there before buying monkey ball for the gba, when igot up to the register it was 49.99 everywhere else was 35 i think but i was returning something so i had to get it there, so i said to the manager "do you match prices" he grumbled a yes so i got him to ring smyths who confirmed that price so i got it cheap

Very good idea, once they say yes you pick two stores that are cheaper and close by and get them to phone the place,
    Yes its abit of work for you to do but shows them up nicely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

GAME once attempted to extract 40.00 euro from me for doom3: resurrection of evil. An expansion pack that costs 25-29 euro in other shops. Absolute scam artists.
    Tho last week in game henry st they couldve been fleeced, as they had mistakenly priced all copies of brothers in arms:earned in blood at 29.99. They realised and changed all the stickers just as i was about to buy it. :rolleyes:

no that was deal of the week at 29.99

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

madrab wrote:

funny you should mention that actually, if you have shopped there before (a year or more ago) you would have seen the "lowest price guarenteed" stickers on products, but these have now been replaced to stickers with just the price on them. Basically Game used to have a policy of price matching, and used to actually have competitive prices, but not any more. If you ask they usually will price match, but they don't advertise it and technically can refuse to do it (but don't unless the price difference is huge).
    Game usually have standard high street prices, but their next gen pricing seems to be sickeningly high.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Now pimping new forum request here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

So next gen machine is at a next Gen price or something.

All I can say is No wonder people are warezing games, at those prices I can hardly see why anyone would want to pay them.

If you think about it, 3 games for the x360 cost more than a PSP, 4 games will buy you the x360 itself.

Internet all the way baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Strange thing is (and someone can confirm this or not?) GAME doesnt seem so bad outside of Ireland.

(and yes i am taking in sterling exchange)

In Cambridge The GAME store while still has the aweful second hand prices and annoying cheap GAME products, the prices match the prices of everyother store, there's no insane overpricing.

I guess its because in Cambridge alone there are at least 8 stores that sell games within a minute of each other, 3 are exclusively games. So GAME here need to compete more.

While in Ireland, GAME tend to have the high streets all to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

HMV were charging €83 for Condemned: Criminal Origins on the 360.

€83!?

For a game?!

Absolute madness.

€83!?

For a game?!

Absolute madness.
    thats a bit mad, & they seemed to not be doing their usual overcharging thing last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I'd never pay that much for a game. definately not going the way of the Xbox 360 if games are that expensive.
    I find the odd bargin there...
    In Game on henry street i bought far cry for 20 euro. I also got Quake 4 special edition for 40 euro. (they obviously mispriced this as the same as the normal edition, everywhere else it was 70, including other game stores)
    Like others have said, its a case of shopping around. Some of the prices that the likes of Virgin and Hmv ask are a joke too, so compared to them its not always that bad...
    Being a person who doesn't shop online, i dont have that much choice so i guess i must make do.
    (BTW i speak only of experience with PC games)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was in there last week and felt sorry for some little kid. He'd bought a PC game and they refused to exchange it because it wouldn't work on his system. They said they can't exchange games due to piracy. In all fairness, I can't see a little kid about 8 pirating games. The poor wee fella was about to ball his eyes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

rofls :D
    Anyone paying that kind of silly money for ONE game deserves a good headbutt.
    They're ruining it for the rest of us.
    RopeDrink wrote:
    I've bought a few games from GAME but by GOD I would never buy ANY game for ANY system for 70 Euro
    Yeah me neither... give them an inch, they'll take a mile... I could be pushed to 50 euro max, and that's for a game I was drooling to get my hands on and knew I'd get weeks of play out of... and even then I'd fart on the €50 note before handing it over.
    Nice use of [tags] btw Ropeh... good effort champ.

Lemlin wrote:
    [..]They said they can't exchange games due to piracy.[..]
    Another case of the few bad muppets ruining it for the rest of us.
    I knew a guy who took the píss with this a few years ago...
    Him: ..yeah I have to return this game...
    Me: Why what's wrong with it?
    Him: Nothin' but I can get a second game!
    Me: :rolleyes:
    Used to do this every few weeks.
    Now people with genuine problems can't return for a swap/refund... as far as I know all they'll do anymore is replace the CD.
    Nowhere even seems to take PC trade-ins... I assume for the same reason.:confused:

I'm sure if they wanted to they could keep track of how many returns you're doing on the GAME member card... make it mandatory and weed out the chancers... you get 1 or 2 returns a year and that's it... sounds fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

RopeDrink wrote:
    However, when I threw fourty euro at them for BF2, they gave me a false smile and a lecture on how my 'system won't be able to handle the game, 'COEZ WE AUTOEMATIEACLLY KNOEZ WAT YUR PEE SEE SPECS AER AEND WE DEEAM I|T NEECCESARIE TO TEALL YUO YUOR BUSIENESS COZ WE'RE MEAGA KOELLLLLL 2 YR OELD CATZZZ, ROFFLESZCOPTER!'...

I really hate pricks that presume they know more about computers then I do, (I don't mean that in a smartarse way, I mean in the sense where they automatically talk down on you on the general assumption that you are clueless about computers etc) and feel the need to 'inform me' that my system will struggle with this blah blah etc

Anyways, who cares.

That really pisses me off, I remember when they started doing that and I had an ultra top spec pc (Ti4600 and everything!). I think I bought some sold out label game and I got the lecture on checking pc spec's. I could have hit the prick, having dropped over two grand on a new pc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lol
    it was quite funny when i bought Doom 3: ROE over in america at a gamestop there.
    them - "You do realise you have to have the original Doom 3 to get this game to work?"
    me - "No"
    them - "Do you have Doom 3"
    me - "No"
    them - "then you wont be able to play this game on your computer"
    me - "oh right, I want it anyway"
    them - "but you wont be able to play it"
    me - "I will"
    them - "But you cant, you dont have the original"
    me - "is this game not original?"
    them - "it is, it isnt, look it is original but you need the original to play it"
    me - "original what?"
    them - "Doom 3, the first one"
    me - "You mean Doom 1 then"
    them - "Look, No, the original Doom 3 (walks over to get the original from the shelf). This game, this is the original Doom 3"
    me - "Why isnt it called Doom 1?"
    them - "Doom 1 is old, this isnt Doom 1, you need the original Doom 3 to play the expansion your trying to buy, this is the original Doom 3"
    me - "That one doesnt have ROE, I want this one"
    them - (getting a little peaved)"But whats the point? you wont be able to play it"
    me - "Is this game faulty?"
    them - "No, its fine. Look, you understand me right?"
    me - "Yes"
    them - "And you still want this game?"
    me - "Yes"
    them - "okay, fine. $31.43 please"

me being obviously stupid and irish didnt really get what was going on. thank god for this informative employee for telling me what i was spending $30+ on. without people like this I'd be lost.

(cant remember the exact price cos of tax and all that but the shelf price was $29.99)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Were you not being a bit hard on the guy, at least he was trying to save you some time later on, an honestly helpful shop minion who knows what he is talking about, when in Game all you get is some greasy twat who hasn't a clue and tries to sell the worst rubbish to the ignorant, they lie in wait for the Grandmothers and the Girlfriends and sell them copies of Rise of the Robots or a Gizmondo, just cos they are stuck with a store room full of them. Or cos EA tells them to push a product you end up with Fifa in your stocking instead of Pro Evo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

TomCo wrote:
    That really pisses me off, I remember when they started doing that and I had an ultra top spec pc (Ti4600 and everything!). I think I bought some sold out label game and I got the lecture on checking pc spec's. I could have hit the prick, having dropped over two grand on a new pc.

When I bought BF2 he kinda pointed at the back and said "Did you see the specs, will your pc run it?" and I said, "What..oh yeah it'll be fine".

That was it.

Yeah give the guy a break tbh, I myself have experienced the horror of getting a game home, only to realise it's a f**king expansion pack :(
    (In fairness, it was written in a tiny little box, and this was in the days of the big old cardboard PC game boxes... very easily missed.)
    And besides, some people are just noobs and would make an honest mistake... sure he's probably had people moaning at him for not warning them... so the poor guy just can't win :(
    Funny story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Were you not being a bit hard on the guy, at least he was trying to save you some time later on, an honestly helpful shop minion who knows what he is talking about, when in Game all you get is some greasy twat who hasn't a clue and tries to sell the worst rubbish to the ignorant, they lie in wait for the Grandmothers and the Girlfriends and sell them copies of Rise of the Robots or a Gizmondo, just cos they are stuck with a store room full of them. Or cos EA tells them to push a product you end up with Fifa in your stocking instead of Pro Evo.

No, clearly the guy was way out of line checking he wasnt selling the customer something that he couldnt use. Shop assistants who sell on rubbish without a second thought to customers are heros, people who ask you to make sure your specs can handle it are evil.
    I was in there last week and felt sorry for some little kid. He'd bought a PC game and they refused to exchange it because it wouldn't work on his system.

That kid got what he deserved. Sales people arent there to ask you to check your system can run it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

i got perfect dark for 60 well 45 with vouchers in HMV so they aint that bad

Advertisement