Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heaters

Options
  • 05-12-2005 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Heya,

I have just moved into a new apartment and its heated via storage heaters and in typical fashion the builders havent given me any documentation on how it works. Can anybody out there give me a quick crash course? For example I believe they should be left on at night when its cheaper?

Apologies for such a dumbass thread but I aint a DIY head!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

In my experience storage heating is a very very bad option. Are your heating costings additional to your rent (eg do you pay the ESB bill?)

Basically they "gather " energy during the night at the cheaper electricity rate (you have to opt to be on that rate though so check with the ESB its not automatic that night rate is cheaper)

During the day it gives ou the heat.

A problem is if the day/roomis warm you can't turn off the heating, turning it off means only that t will not stire energy the following night = no heat the following day !

There are setting usually on each heater (sunshine, and snowflakes on ours) where you can determine the heat level (winter summer), you can also on some at least decide if you want more heat in the morning or evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Most storage heaters have an input and an output. Setting the input low will save a bit of money on the electricity; set it too high and you'll have the windows open all day to cool the house down; set it too low and you'll be too cold instead. Try the 50% setting.

You might also have an additional time switch in your fusebox for (I think) on and off times - ESB cheap rates are something like 11pm-8am in winter and 12pm-9am in summer (the info's on their website somewhere). And you'll have to make sure that the metering system is set up for cheap nightime electricity. You pay a little extra for this facility and if you're the first time occupant, it's probably already set up that way (mine was).

It's not particularly economical, especially if you're going to be out all day, so expect an unhealthy ESB bill if you use it a lot.

Advertisement