Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prime Time Special - Car Price Fixing & NCT Tonight

Options
  • 05-12-2005 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

If anybody is interested.
    Prime Time are doing a special tonite on the "alleged" motor trade cartels in operation here.

Comments

Thanks for the reminder. I saw the add last week and meant to remind my self!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What exactly are they investigating? (Please excuse my limited knowledge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i cannot wait to wait this tonight. it should have some interesting stuff on it

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

If you miss it you will be able to watch it on the web here Prime Time

You will need real player. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The theme is price fixing in the motor trade and they will also be looking at the NCT (hiss boo!)

RTE 1 9.30 pm.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JohnCleary wrote:
    What exactly are they investigating? (Please excuse my limited knowledge)

Aledged price fixing or cartels among car dealers of certain brands through out Ireland.

It will definatley make interesting viewing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Should make for some very interesting viewing and open up a lot of people's eyes to how the trade actually works.

Well then, the first part was of course routine stuff - NCT is'nt a true check of vehicle safety, clocking is rampant etc.

The second part though was interesting, I guess we've always suspected price fixing to some degree but if the programme is right then its systematic and enforced! Which was the shocking part, as Shane Ross noted its like the KGB.

I have never bought new, I never will!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think this programme was a bit of a let down really, they could have done a show on the NCT test alone. There's a lot of dodgy stuff sold by main dealers and clocking isn't uncommon there either. I've seen a lot of patched up stuff sold by dealers aswell and they would swear it was never touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

yeah, they tried to fit a lot in, glad i'm not michael fogarty motors mind you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Nuttzz wrote:
    yeah, they tried to fit a lot in, glad i'm not michael fogarty motors mind you...
    i missed the first 15 minutes, what did they say about michael fogarty motors?thanks

Forgarty bought a Merc 200 with about 130,000 on the clock from an auction house and then apparently turned the milage back to 80,000 and slapped 6 or 7 grand extra on the windscreen sticker price! Prime Time had followed the car since its purchase. Unfortunatly they did'nt pursue the line of inquiry. Fogarty simply blustered alot.

Mike.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Forgarty bought a Merc 200 with about 130,000 on the clock from an auction house and then apparently turned the milage back to 80,000 and slapped 6 or 7 grand extra on the windscreen sticker price! Prime Time had followed the car since its purchase. Unfortunatly they did'nt pursue the line of inquiry. Fogarty simply blustered alot.

Mike.

Mike.
    aye, i see him driving down my road where i live the odd time in a ferrari 360, being under 30 i wondered how he got to drove such a car(been driving it for over a year now). i think we all know the answer how...lol:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Anyone for a 00/05 (front half 05) VW Golf with NCT test to 09, one careful lady owner( the other five didn't give a s**t about it) with only 125k...sorry I mean 25k on the clock for only 12500 euro's......just a sample there of some of the crap on offer. I've seen some beauties on offer at a couple of the auction houses. Buyer beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Why on earth did Fogarty or the guy from the Cork Mitsubishi dealership agree to be interviewed? Could they have possibly looked more dishonest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

... and in a few years time Fogarty and people like him will be driving around in Maybachs and Bentleys ... because unfortunately, hundreds, if not thousands of people who saw this programme will still buy cars from gangsters like this. Name and shame ? My arse. Politicians get away with being robbbing bastards. Why shouldn't anyone else?

"...isn't that the fella who was on PrimeTime for clocking the cars?"
    "yeah, that's him."
    "I hear he has a good deal on a second hand Mondeo."
    "But it could be clocked."
    "Sure we'll have a look anyway."

DubTony wrote:
    ... and in a few years time Fogarty and people like him will be driving around in Maybachs and Bentleys ...
    some of them already are, i know a couple of used car dealers that drive bentleys. fogarty drives a 2000 ferrari 360. id say they are all at it,real garages make thier money from servicing, parts, crash repairs, and sales of new as well as used, how is it possible that certain dealers make it all from used cars?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've seen some great ones.

Went to Clonskeagh Motors cos they had a great civic outside going for a song.
    Practically ran in the door with my chequebook outstretched only to be told
    "oh that price is just to get people in the door"

At another Honda dealership about 3 weeks ago to get something done under a recall and they replaced a bulb which they said had blown.
    Tried to charge me a fiver for a spare bulb when I remembered I had just had my NCT the night before! I said they could either put my old bulb back or not charge me for the replacement.

Its just not fair.
    All you do is reverse the car for 50,000 miles.
    Thats ok isn't it?
    ........Psst want to buy a Merc, 1 lady owner
    what miles are on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sleipnir wrote:
    Went to Clonskeagh Motors cos they had a great civic outside going for a song.
    Practically ran in the door with my chequebook outstretched only to be told
    "oh that price is just to get people in the door"

What? If you were a cash buyer, how could they not sell it to you at the price the advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

WRT the Civic in Clonskeagh; isn't there a thing there called offer to sell? I thought that if it was priced, they had to sell at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MichaelFogarty

Thats correct.
    Company can be fined up to 3K Euro for non display or incorrect display of price.
    If you have proof Id talk to the powers that be.

Psst...... want to buy a car, a Merc, 1 Lady owner. Its even over clocked by 40K miles to make me look real honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I missed the show :(

But, I did approach Fogartys earlier this year about a Jap import RAV4 they had. I got a bad feeling about the place and walked away.

One thing that put me off was that I was watching the car for about 4 or 5 months, and noted it wasn't shifting. I went in, thinking I could bargain with them on this fact. But, when I pointed out the car I was interested in the guy said, "We got that in last week, and had a few people look at it"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

prospect wrote:
    "We got that in last week, and had a few people look at it"!!!

Thats standard salesman talk! You will get that anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

They also said that it is not illegal to clock a car. But it is illegal to do so and then knowingly sell it on. So these b*st*rds just get someone else to clock it for them.

Also regarding the price fixing why isn't that Glynn* fella in jail for at least 5 years?

* I think that ws his name. He was the fella questioned on tv about price fixing for a couple of different brands last night. Major importer I think

prospect wrote:
    I missed the show :(
    Never fear its on the web at http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime.html
    ul need realplayer to view it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks lomb. :)

py2006,
    I know, but that was the start of a list of lies.
    I mean, the car was parked out on the road for at least 16 weeks, and thought he'd get away with that!??

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I would have liked to see what would have happened when that Merc of Fogarty's got back to his garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They also said that it is not illegal to clock a car. But it is illegal to do so and then knowingly sell it on. So these b*st*rds just get someone else to clock it for them.

Also regarding the price fixing why isn't that Glynn* fella in jail for at least 5 years?

* I think that ws his name. He was the fella questioned on tv about price fixing for a couple of different brands last night. Major importer I think

Not quite. It's illegal to sell a vehicle knowing that it has been clocked.

John McGlynn was the grey haired chap wearing the blue Subaru jacket who was Secretary of the Citroen Dealers Association. Sold me a car there not long ago. Works in Bursey Peppard at Crumlin Cross.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Goes to show that a boycott of the NCT is in order as it is a scam.

Advertisement