Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prime Time Special - Car Price Fixing & NCT Tonight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Anyone know of anyone buying a car off that Fogarty guy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

prospect wrote:
    Thanks lomb. :)

py2006,
    I know, but that was the start of a list of lies.
    I mean, the car was parked out on the road for at least 16 weeks, and thought he'd get away with that!??

I know, shocking stuff! What was the reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The simple answer to all this is to etch or stamp the mileage and date at each NCT test into the doorframe or somewhere under the bonnet. Any messing around would be very obvious. No need to worry about service books going missing or any of that nonsense.

Now, if a political minded person managed to come up with a little doozy like that they'd be hailed as a consumer hero and would probably be elected President some day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

DubTony wrote:
    The simple answer to all this is to etch or stamp the mileage and date at each NCT test into the doorframe or somewhere under the bonnet. Any messing around would be very obvious. No need to worry about service books going missing or any of that nonsense.

Given the messing about that goes on with VINs on stolen cars, I'd say that that's no solution at all. The solution is a national computerised mileage register with mandatory input of the mileage at every service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Given the messing about that goes on with VINs on stolen cars, I'd say that that's no solution at all. The solution is a national computerised mileage register with mandatory input of the mileage at every service.
    And then the gangsters will not get their motors serviced at reputable garages then. Not a good solution, anyways its big brotherish. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

py2006 wrote:
    I know, shocking stuff! What was the reaction?

I didn't taclke him on it.
    I just said "Thanks, I'll get back to you" and walked off.

I have a shortish fuse, and if i had brought him to task, and got more BS off him, well anything coulda happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

prospect wrote:
    I didn't taclke him on it.
    I just said "Thanks, I'll get back to you" and walked off.

I have a shortish fuse, and if i had brought him to task, and got more BS off him, well anything coulda happened.

I'd have paid good money to watch that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The programme was let let down on many fronts, poorly reaserched and edited !

As far as etching mileage at NCT centres.......you must be joking ! I dont want a whole load of numbers etched into my car, and besides they could easily change these etchings and use them to VERIFY a clocked mileage !

The NCT should simply have a box that states "Mileage at last test = XXXX Date ddmmyyyy" and that would highlight the situation !

The fact that they moaned about the price of Ford Focus and other cars being virtually the same at dozens of dealers doesn't prove anything is wrong at all !! The car has the same cost price, the same VAT, the same VRT and the same delivery.............most dealers work off a similar (read small) profit margin so buying for cash any dealer will be within a few hundred euro of an other dealer. If you shop around and haggle, you will find the natural line below which they dont want to go............then find someone who will or someone who will throw in a few goodies ! I'm sorry but I sell goods for a living and there is a profit margin below which I wont go, its not worth it ! Nothing wrong with that !

The problem arises when that "line" is dictated by the distributor, as happens. This shouldv'e been highlighted more IMO !

Also be aware that the cheaper new cars can be bought, the quicker the same model depreciates. Whilst I am not suggesting that the customer is the winner here there is a natural figure that people will not pass when buying a used or nearly new car, instead choosing the new motor. These days its nearly all down to percentages as everyone wants new cars and they depreciate more. This wasn't always the case !

Overall the programme was too little too late and did not tell me anything I didn't know already. Besides with the Block Exemption in effect all these distributors will fall by the wayside and it will be up to the dealers how low the want to go. That shouldv'e been stated, if for no other reason than to make consumers aware if it and therefore to try harder for bargains !

I laughed at that Foley guy. He was caught red handed and stated
    ............" it does not have xyz mileage !!..............Come back in an hour and I'll show you "

Yeah right ............!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

MercMad wrote:
    The problem arises when that "line" is dictated by the distributor, as happens.

I laughed at that Foley guy. He was caught red handed and stated
    ............" it does not have xyz mileage !!..............Come back in an hour and I'll show you "

I totally agree with you. What didn't impress me was how all dealers were scapegoated as the price setters when in actual fact, the rogues here are the distributors who send out the prices to all the dealers. The distributor gets on board some powerful dealers to enforce it at dealer meetings. I can understand how the researchers may have missed this point though.

As for Foley, they should have pursued the matter further. Taken pictures of the mileage before they left and then come back in an hour to see the original mileage restored. What a gangster. I hope he gets what is coming to him. It's people like that who give decent car dealers a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

he was priceless, "Look at the state of me like" "sure I can't check it, there's no injectors" " come back in an hours time"

pure comedy gold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

lomb wrote:
    fogarty drives a 2000 ferrari 360

Not any more its yours for POA!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

He was looking for 149,950 last i saw it for sale. He had it on NI plates for ages too.

Hey, only 20,000 miles on it! Think I'll give him a ring.:)

Haha, go on, see what he says. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Just rang him (well dont know if it was him or a pleb that answered).
    First asked 'How many miles'. 20000

'Are you sure?' i said.

I should have recorded it because i'm going to be dealt with according to him before he hung up :)

Priceless....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I bet though that people will still buy cars off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Do you guys reckon that Ferris Bueller Fogarty would take a trade in of a silver C-Class

"What mileage is on it boss......................? "

"What mileage do ya want ? "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'll bet that C class Merc was sold at auction before the Prime Time show was shown on T.V. I'll check the last couple of auction cataloge's to see later if I get a chance.:)
    He's wasted in the motor trade its politic's he should be looking at, there might even be a vacancy now in Fianna Fail if Ivor gets the boot.He'd be in good company anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

junkyard wrote:
    there might even be a vacancy now in Fianna Fail if Ivor gets the boot.He'd be in good company anyway.
    not if but when!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jesusisahomo

sure jim rock has a ferrari 360 and has had lots of fancy cars (lotus, bmw 8series, ferrari 355 spider) - all english reg but he lives in greystones...., and he only sells used cars and has a small stock... I found a stocklist here here and they're not pricey cars. I know he's a boxer too but how does he afford it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Maybe his wife has a very good job!
    Maybe he inhereted money!
    Maybe he invested wisely!
    Maybe he has no mortgage, and never had!
    Maybe...
    Maybe..

You can't know anybodys personal financial affairs just based on their job. There can a lot of other influncing factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kersh wrote:
    He was looking for 149,950 last i saw it for sale. He had it on NI plates for ages too.
    Yeah, that was until the guards seized it :D Not the smartest idea to drive a yellow plate Ferrari past Clondalkin garda station every day :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Cost him a fortune to get the car released. So funny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They should have just crushed it :mad: What's the point of just letting him pay it later, makes it worth your while to get away with it as long as possible.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Is it still seized? or did he pay the VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Paid VRT €30k+ and about €7500/8000 to get it back from the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cost him a fortune to get the car released. So funny:D

Excellent :D
    Paid VRT €30k+ and about €7500/8000 to get it back from the garda.

That's silly, no wonder so many fancy cars are on britplates. It's obviously worth the risk

Should be something like VRT + fixed penalty of VRT * 3 + interest over the lot of say 25% per annum since the start of ownership, in case the car should have been registered more than 3 months ago

Somehow I'm getting the idea that Mr Fogarty may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Somehow I'm getting the idea that Mr Fogarty may not be the sharpest tool in the shed.
    hes done very well so far, come on a ferrari b4 u are 30, how many people can say that?
    he also has a lease or owns a prime garage on the nass road, more than most have, sure now his name is dirt but he can rename it something else!

Advertisement