Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Drumming

• 05-12-2005 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Ok first of all, this thread is not a licence for everyone to start posting their favourite drummer.

I really like a particular style of drumming that you so rarely hear in rock/metal. Danny Carey, Jimmy Chamberlin (especially on his Life Begins Again) and recently Martin Lopez in Opeth's Damnation and Ghost Reveries are the only few that I can think of that really play drums and make them sound full and lush. Dredg's drummer is ok too, bit boring. But anyway, they use the snare in a jazzy way and take rimshots instead of just pounding out rythm in response to double bass. And they build up to a moment slowly instead of just rushing in and out with countless dynamic changes.

If anyone knows anymore drummers that may interest me I'd love to hear them. I'm not talking about the latest and greatest death metal virtuoso who can perferm fills with lightning speed. I respect that type of drumming but it sounds so much better when it's more... artistic.

I hope people get what i'm talking about. So please don't post drummers from the like of Death, cryptopsy, lamb of god or any other metalcore band, dream theatre, rush, slayer, atheist, pantera, pink floyd (nice but too slow). And if anyone posts Dave Grohl...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Dennis Chambers - amazing jazz fusion drummer.

Classic clip: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/DennisChambersscof.html

Some more video samples: http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dennis_Chambers.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Jon Theodore, from the mars volta.
    he has roots in a sort of classic jon bonham style, but he took it to a new, jazzy, salsa, progressive level. i reckon you'd like him!
    edit: linky
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Theodore
    http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/jontheodore.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jim White from the Dirty 3 is possibly one of the best drummers I've ever heard, he's one of the few drummers who has real expression and can evoke real feelings from his drumming.

FM Einheit, NU Unruh and Rudi Moser from Einstuerzende Neubauten are in a class of their own. Not in a virtuoso way but the rhythms and materials they use are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

http://www.flomounier.com/

seriously,what more do i need to say?

Ruaidhri wrote:

Meh - that's just fast. Does nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Meh - that's just fast. Does nothing for me.

I didn't realise everything posted was to appease you. :rolleyes:

I didn't realise everything posted was to appease you. :rolleyes:
    Sorry Karl - but it wasn't what the OP was asking for either.

"I'm not talking about the latest and greatest death metal virtuoso who can perferm fills with lightning speed. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sorry Karl - but it wasn't what the OP was asking for either.

"I'm not talking about the latest and greatest death metal virtuoso who can perferm fills with lightning speed. "

Oh indeed, he even mentioned cryptopsy in the don't post list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mmmm... Cryptopsy... *badgers brother for ticket for Christmas* Mastodon perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Jan Axel Von Blomberg (aka. Hellhammer) from Arcturus/Mayhem etc. is a very good drummer. Check out some of his stuff with Arcturus. I'd say you'll like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Crucifix wrote:
    Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy?

:mad: No Rush or Dream Theatre as i already stated. Same goes for Cryptopsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

www.drummerworld.com has got them all, I'd say.

My favourite drummer is / was the late, great Eric Carr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

JoeyD wrote:
    :mad: No Rush

You can't just dismiss Neil Peart out of hand like that. What criteria do you have for putting him on the sub-par drummer list? Go on...

Where's that Fabio chap when you need him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ruaidhri wrote:

That's crap. He's just playing fast, there's nothing interesting about it at all. Jimmy Chamberlin would destroy him any day, not to mention Danny Carey.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Tommy Hakke would destroy Danny Carey. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Sean Reinert from Cynic. Seek out his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Barrymore Barlow from 1970's Jethro Tull...
    ........veryy good stuff tastefull and stylish and some veryy intricate stuff too. I wont comment on the "no Neil Peart " thing.........hes tooo goood to be compared with the other wannabies already mentioned anyway hahhaahahhahhhhaha

ciao'..Baggio.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Doctor J wrote:
    Sean Reinert from Cynic. Seek out his work.

Argh! Forgot this man! he is God, and let ye never forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

It Wasn't Me,
    ...who you talking about??...Reinert? Peart? DOc J or Me?..ahhhah :p

ahh Reinert is a good one but Pearts the real deal,,sorry lads .mind yu the bold Doc there is getting his stix work together too.....
    ....ya never know!? :eek:

ciao' ..Baggio..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Don't worry, my drumming won't even be giving Phil Rudd sleepless nights, never mind Reinert or Peart ;)

Asgeir Mickelson from Spiral Architect is also rather swish. Rick Colaluca from Watchtower is also a phenominal talent, well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I heartily recommend Terry Bozzio and Virgil Donati on top of the others mentioned here. Bozzio has a very interesting style of almost melodic drumming which you may like, and since he played with Zappa you can throw any polyrhythm at him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gyre

Aaron Harris from Isis is what you would call "artistic".

Also, if you want proper polyrhythms and time-signature played intellectually...Tomas Haake from Meshuggah.

http://www.neonsundisorder.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Have a listen to Riley Breckenridge for some furious drumming and some really interesting rhythms. Innovative stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

And if you get fed up of all the metal drummers being thrown at you why not check out Billy Cobham.
    His work with (the fusion group) The Mahavishnu Orchestra on the albums The Inner Mounting Flame & Birds Of Fire are amazing, not to mention his solo album Spectrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Brian Downey, often forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Ben Johnston does some interesting drumming for Biffy Clyro. Jimmy Chamberlin beats them all of course. Life Begins Again is an amazing album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Check out gerald heyward, a magnificent session musician who has played with the likes of BlackStreet and Rob Thomas. Or even Brian Frasier Moore, Christina Aguilera's drummer.

Oh and the earlier performances of Tony Royster Jnr. How a 9 year old kid could groove and hold his own with the likes of Dennis Chambers, is beyond me!:eek:

These guys would wipe the floor with most drummers already mentioned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Another one I just thought of is Clayton Cameron (Tony Bennett's drummer), the things that guy can do with brushes is amazing and he's hot with sticks too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

JoeyD wrote:
    And if anyone posts Dave Grohl...

Awah.....

Advertisement