Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats happening to me

• 05-12-2005 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I enjoy a few beers, well lets be honest i like 4 or 5 pints of a weekday if im out but lots more at the weekend. Problem is, used to go out have me few pints, get a great kip and wake up 8 hours later, bright as a button, (well nearly anyway!) Now though even if i have just three or four pints i wake up about 3 hours after i get to bed and then i cant sleep at all. Its doing my nut in, wrecking my buzz not to mention the day after im just bolloxed all day. Im only 21 so its not as if im old or anything, and with christmas coming up i need to find a cure for this asap. This happened to anyone out there? Any solutions for me apart from dont drink

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What type beer?
    Are you eating well beforehand? (soakage)
    Are you mixing drinks?
    Are you in good health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

whiskeyman wrote:
    What type beer?
    Are you eating well beforehand? (soakage)
    Are you mixing drinks?
    Are you in good health?

Fosters or Miller
    Have a good dinner beforehand
    No, not really unless im in a club
    Im fit as a fiddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

You sound like you have the same problem as me!

Can only sleep for about 3 or 4 hours after drinking, and then am wide awake, even though I feel fairly wrecked.

This might sound strange, but I've been experimenting with this for a while, and I've found if I eat fudge or mushrooms before I go to bed my sleep improves. I don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

how do you feel when you wake up? maybe you're getting dehydrated - have you tried necking a couple of pints of water before you go to sleep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Chugged loads of water through the night and before you hit the bed. Have a big glass/jug of water beside your bed for when you stir in the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

The best thing to do is drink a least 2 pints of water before you go out and when you come home (if you remember) I find it works all the time, specially after a long session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The best thing to do is drink a least 2 pints of water before you go out and when you come (if you remember) I find it works all the time, specially after a long session.

A sexual session?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I enjoy a few beers, well lets be honest i like 4 or 5 pints of a weekday if im out but lots more at the weekend. Problem is, used to go out have me few pints, get a great kip and wake up 8 hours later, bright as a button, (well nearly anyway!) Now though even if i have just three or four pints i wake up about 3 hours after i get to bed and then i cant sleep at all. Its doing my nut in, wrecking my buzz not to mention the day after im just bolloxed all day. Im only 21 so its not as if im old or anything, and with christmas coming up i need to find a cure for this asap. This happened to anyone out there? Any solutions for me apart from dont drink

LOL, I remember being 18 and being able to party my arse off all night, get up next morning, glass of water and off to work.

Now a few drinks and I'm ****ed, I tend to wake up like you on and off during the night and in general am a mess the next day (you should have seen me on Sunday) and I'm only 24.

I can't offer any advice cos it's just one of those things as far as I'm concerned. I do find that beer makes me worse. Personally my least intrusive hangover comes from drinking vodka and coke so I usually stick to that on my bender nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CelticChick

I read in some medical book that alcohol can cause reversed insomnia, meaning you fall asleep no problem but wake up after only a few hours and can't get back to sleep- don't know what you can do to stop it though!

Reversed insomnia sounds about right. Its so fúcked up. Id be dead tired say at 1 after a few pints then fall asleep in a few seconds and then by 4 id be wide awake, not able to sleep and my mind just going 90 miles an hour thinking about absolute rubbish, and theres no chance of getting any kip and before you know it its daytime and your up and then the tiredness hits you.

Im gonna try this fudge or mushrooms thing cant do any harm, i think its partly dehydration maybe but if i have 2 pints of water before i hit the sack i wake up less dehydrated a few hours later needing to go to the toilet and i cant get back to sleep then either. Vodka makes me sleep a bit longer but it also makes me go a bit lu la

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 musing

I have the ultimate hangover cure, two anadain max strenght only they are in a red and yellow box, the others all suck and strawberry milk!!!
    Works every time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

sounds like full blown aids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Sounds strange but this really works for most people in my family. Get some lavender leaves/flowers and put them inside your pillow, they have a fairly strong smell. You will sleep like a baby :), well thats the aim anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

akindoc wrote:

Excuse me? Please explain or else i feel you are going to be beaten with the banned stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I'm the same, when I was about 18 I could drink all night and be grand. Now just a few pints and and I'm in a heap the next day, I only get a few hours sleep as well. This started happening at 21 too... we're getting old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Excuse me? Please explain or else i feel you are going to be beaten with the banned stick.

I thought it was funny.

To OP, try wine, hangovers can be painful if you skip water when you get home but I find wine is a nice way to get pissed slowly and reservedly. The downside is your mates may give you stick but that's only important if you can't handle their jokes.

Anyway try a few different types of drinks (not all on the one night) and see if something new changes things. Vodka may make you a bit crazy but try moderating the speed at which you drink it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'm the same...

Well say if arrive home 4ish, I'll be awake at 8 or 9 and won't be able to actually sleep again until 3 or 4.

So usually I just get up (half-dead) and then go for a kip for a few hours later in the day...
    No point lying in bed all morning if not actually sleeping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

(you should have seen me on Sunday) and I'm only 24.

yeah I'm 24 aswell and was not at all well on Sunday. I had a headache all day, couldnt eat a thing, trembling and had really sensitive skin ??? I was a wreak all day, taught I was getting the flu but this morning I was fine and dandy. That has gotta be the worst hangover I've had so far, maybe it was the putcheen!

isnt there some sort of tablet you can take before going to bed on a drinking night out that reduces your hangover for the next day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rrrrr

Good joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

alcohol cause s changes in the levels of neurotransmitters in your brain, when you start sobering up theres a rebound effect and neurotransmitters over shoot in opposite direction, the neurotransmitters affect are serotonin and glutamate and gaba.if you wanna stay asleep have a can of beer beside bed when you wake up scull the can of beer and you will be asleep again in no time,this stops the withdrawal and neurotransmitter rebound your body is suffering from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I have the opposite problem I have two drinks, get a searing pain in my heart/liver area, spend about half an hour wheezing and gasping for air and rubbing my chest like bef*cked then I'm overcome by drowziness.

To the OP, are you buzzed up or excited when you go to bed?
    Or is it you just can't sleep? Maybe you're too hot or dehydrated ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

akindoc wrote:

banned for a week for being a total idiot
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i havent been drunk in a couple of months, but if i am out drinking; i get home and cant sleep, then finally doze off to be woken by the alarm, what feels like 5 mins later!! tiredness hits me round 2-3 o clock, or if im in class @ 9, (not working) i cant keep my eyes open during class! usually cant eat first thing either, but round 11 im ravenous (me likes my food :D)

my friend took those hangover/prevention tablets a couple of weeks ago, and was sick for a few days after..i wasnt there so i dunno whether it was the drink or the tablets, but she's not usually sick, maybe they dont suit everyone, or maybe depends on drink intake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

I know this is a "Way Out There" suggestion but eh... drink less?

Why do you need to drink more than 4 pints?

What are you trying to achive?

Don't get me wrong, I like to drink but the aim isn't to get as drunk as possible (occasionally it is, occasionally).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Drink does interfere with your sleep. You're also taking in massive amounts of energy when you drink (that's why you can last 'til 7am on a serious night out, and also where the beer belly comes from) so that's probably it. I'd suggest getting the water in, in quantity, before you hit the sack and see if that helps.

I usually last about 7 hours after a night out, but never last past 9am (i.e. if I'm in bed after 2, I'm just eating into my sleep time).

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, Khannie's dead right. When you drink beer especially, you're ingesting quite a great deal of sugar, which of course gives you a sugar rush. Thus, you wake up after a few hours and cannot sleep with your head going at 90. There's no real solution except to try and find a drink with less sugar (I'm working on it, but the fact that alcohol is produced from sugar is making my head spin).

Incidentally, the reason why it didn't happen when you were 18, and happens now you're 21 is, in fact, because you're getting older. Your metabolism slows down (for most people) at around about 21, which means that your body isn't processing the sugar fast enough to get it out of the system by bedtime.

The lack of sleep thing is also a prelude to a beer belly, so keep up the fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

that used to happen to me a lot. Try drinking a pint of water with 2 teaspoons of sugar and the same of salt. When you drink you get dehydrated quickly and your sugar and salt levels deplete. I do that before i hit the sack after a night out and i'm usually right as rain :D it taste disgusting tho, try squeeze a lemon or something into it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I can never sleep in after drinking... I always end up lying awake from about 6.30 or just getting up.. although strangely enough if I get up and have some cereal or some tea and toast and get back into bed I can usually sleep for another few hours, and more comfortably I might add.. Dont know how useful this will be to you but there ya go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

musing wrote:
    I have the ultimate hangover cure, two anadain max strenght only they are in a red and yellow box, the others all suck and strawberry milk!!!
    Not a great idea.... that's putting even more stress on an over worked liver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

If you do this everyday, you drink too much. I dont want to be a killjoy but it does terrible things to you. If you are loosing sleep from it then it isnt having a good efect on your body. Why not give the beer a break for a week or two.

Yeah if im off the drink for a fortnight due to exams. Spend my nights down the gym now. You would think that id be more tired in the morning after that, but it seems i need less sleep when im physically wrecked than i do when ive done nothing.

Anyway, ill try all the suggestions over the christmas period and see which drink gives me the best nights kip, but to be honest its really doing my head in. Is there any logic behind the pint with sugar and salt? Suppose ill give it a try, the wine idea is good but i doubt id be drinking wine with the mates all night. Good to hear im not the only one this happens to because my mates all sleep like babies after they are out drinking, thought it was just something that happened to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

musing wrote:

That is actually really dangerous. The paracetamol damages your liver and can also damage your stomach lining. It's much safer to just drink a glass of juice and a pint of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

chump wrote:
    I'm the same...

Well say if arrive home 4ish, I'll be awake at 8 or 9 and won't be able to actually sleep again until 3 or 4.

So usually I just get up (half-dead) and then go for a kip for a few hours later in the day...
    No point lying in bed all morning if not actually sleeping...

That's me jump thinking I can take on the world, get something to eat and after about 30mins regret it and end up feeling like death all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

To OP, try wine, hangovers can be painful if you skip water when you get home but I find wine is a nice way to get pissed slowly and reservedly. The downside is your mates may give you stick but that's only important if you can't handle their jokes.

I'm one for the wine suggestion. Have a couple (a couple now not a bottle) of red wine before you hit the tiles, it kind of keeps you in check. Red wine I find has a calming affect. In fact, if you can stick with the wine all night. Getting drunk on red is a totally different experience to that of beer, cider or vodka. You're still in control of your faculties but are drunk at the same time. Suppose it's the same kind of buzz you get from vodka and red bull except for the 100bpm's and chest pains the following morning.

This is just my opinion, I'm not suggesting you mix your drinks but a couple of glasses of red works for me.

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

Happens to me alot lately, go to bed 3/4 in the morning, wake up at about 8/9 can't get back to sleep at all, I usually find it happens more when I stay on the beer only..... There's nothing worse waking up at 8/9 knowing you are off for the day and not being able to go back to sleep,

I try and usually drink as much water as I can during the day before I go out, just sip water all day and maybe one pint while I'm out before I coming home, I i drink it when I get home, i'll automatically wake up to go to the jacks, hence adding to the problem of waking up early after a night out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

ando wrote:
    isnt there some sort of tablet you can take before going to bed on a drinking night out that reduces your hangover for the next day?
    yes a vitiman c tablet with water before you go to bed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

I find rolling a large one helps me to get back to sleep after a 'false start' the morning after a skinful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

~Leanne~ wrote:
    yes a vitiman c tablet with water before you go to bed ;)

Can I have a doner kebab with vitamin c please....

Advertisement