Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessible Online PC Game

Options
  • 05-12-2005 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I play online all the time, pretty much just FPS. That’s grand and all but Im getting a bit jaded with shooting things.

Im looking for recommendations for a good online game that’s fairly easy to pick up and start playing. I was thinking about some racing car games or maybe a flight/space sim, RPG even?

Or anything else at all? Im well up on what’s out there for FPS fans but as for everything else Im not sure what’s hot.

Ideally it would be something that a non gaming /lite gaming friends could pick up and get in to, lots of fun basically. I like seeing the look on people’s faces when they play on line for the first time!

I have a fairly good PC and a 2 MB connection (1.4 MB in reality...)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭In IRL

My recommendations:

1.Guild Wars
    emphasis on PvP, and once you buy the game there is no monthly charge
    popular internationally

2.World of Warcraft
    very good, apparently and everyone seems to play it
    popular internationally

3.City of Heroes
    popular in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ***Truss Rod***

Yeah, I considerd WOW but how is the learning curve? Does it take a long time to figure out how the game works?

It also seems to be one of those games that ruins peoples lives, must try....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yep prepare to waste a lot of time playing any mmorpg, especially WoW. Guild wars less so because there's a level cap that you reach very quickly and the skills are more less of equal value, also armor and weapons don't turn you into an unstoppable god like they can in WoW.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

bear with me on this one - but you should think abotu picking up an xbox360 and gettin on xbox live.

The likes of driving, football games, fighter games etc are easily played online and are very easy to pick up and most importantly have a skill matching system that only pits you against other with the same experience as yourself (same ranking).
    I'm waiting n battlefield 2 to be delivered knowing it'll be a month maybe more before i'll get any satisfaction as i'll be up against experienced players who will kick my ass until I get to know the ins and outs.

Hurrmm, mmorpg's could possibly be dangerous for me by the sounds of it, I admit what Ive heard of WOW sounds intresting, that type of thing has not appealed to me before but WOW and the Star Wars Galaxies game seem tempting.

Regarding and Xbox or similar, now you mention it a console in the front room may be the way to go, i would not normally consider a console being a die hard PC fan but it does kinda fit the bill here I suppose!

The price of the games for the xbox 360 is a bit mental though!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The price of the games is mental - but if you stick to play.com and the like you'll get them for as cheap as you can.

Only trouble is - you wont get a 360 til well after christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

MMOs can be veeeery time consuming. WoW and City Of Heroes are easy to get into (WoW moreso, in my opinion). See if you can get a trial from someone for either, to try it out for a bit and see if you like it.

Console gaming online is cool, it's more casual, you'll get a different selection of games, like racing, fighting, sports. Makes a nice change from FPS online anyway, easy to pick up and play.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I may pick up WOW, apart from sucking your life away I have not read a bad thing about it. A cheap Ps2 from somewhere may be cool for the casual folk in my gaff.

Oh God, so many games and not enough life span!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

you should think abotu picking up an xbox360 and gettin on xbox live.
    Or a PS2 or XBOX 1 and get playing far more easy-to-pickup online games straight away.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned RTS. They're probably the next biggest staple online game after FPS. Any good RTS like Age of Empires games, and starcraft / warcraft game, any command & conquer game, and a host of other titles like empire earth, etc. are great fun online. And no harder to pick up than MMORPGs.

Advertisement