Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heater problem - help

Options
  • 05-12-2005 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have a Renault Megane and the heater has decided to stop working.

I have checked the fuse and it is fine. Anyone got any ideas as to what could cause this.... I can get cold air alright and cold air when it is turned up to heat... also I get luke warm air from it the very odd time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

This can happen when the water in your engine is low. Check the water and top it up if need be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Assuming you are getting the cooling system up to proper tempurature (about 80 c) then one possibility is that the flow of air across the heater matrix (which is where the hot air comes from) is not happening due to a failure in the control valve (ie you turn the dial and nothing happens), another possiblity is the valve which controls the flow of hot water into the matrix from the engine side is closed.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Check the engine temperature, the engine, radiator and hoses should be pretty hot after a good drive and the temp gauge should be around 1/2 way. If not then the engine is running too cold and it's probably due to a stuck open thermostat.

If the engine temperature is normal but the heater is cold then the most likely scenario is a stuck/broken/disconnected flap in the heater unit. The Megane has an air blender heater so there are no valves to go wrong.

Another possibility is a blocked heater matrix or collapsed hose but I think this unlikely.

Other possibilities are that the system has an airlock or the water pump is knackered or the coolant level is way down. Any of the above may cause an overheating engine but a cold heater. You would probably have noticed the car overheating if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

BrianD3 wrote:
    Check the engine temperature, the engine, radiator and hoses should be pretty hot after a good drive and the temp gauge should be around 1/2 way. If not then the engine is running too cold and it's probably due to a stuck open thermostat.

If the engine temperature is normal but the heater is cold then the most likely scenario is a stuck/broken/disconnected flap in the heater unit. The Megane has an air blender heater so there are no valves to go wrong.

Another possibility is a blocked heater matrix or collapsed hose but I think this unlikely.

Other possibilities are that the system has an airlock or the water pump is knackered or the coolant level is way down. Any of the above may cause an overheating engine but a cold heater. You would probably have noticed the car overheating if that was the case.

To update this and see if anyone can throw more light on it.... When I turn the heater to high I get a littl bit of hot air but not very much? any suggestions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's very cold today, and odd that you suddenly have no heat.

Is the rad full, does it have enough anti freeze, and does the engine temp. gauage come up to normal?

I may be wrong but I'm suspicious that your rad. or cooling system may be frozen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

It's very cold today, and odd that you suddenly have no heat.

Is the rad full, does it have enough anti freeze, and does the engine temp. gauage come up to normal?

I may be wrong but I'm suspicious that your rad. or cooling system may be frozen.

Actually, it is a problem that I have had for a while now and every time it gets really cold I think about getting something done to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would say it your thermostat has stuck open. If you leave the car idling for about 15 minutes, whilst watching the temp gauge it should get a bit hotter. If it does then this is your fault.

Not sure where these are on a Megane but they should be easy enough to get to and parts should be €15-€20 plus antifreeze. BTW get Renault antifreeze !

Advertisement