Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I/you really need HDTV?

• 05-12-2005 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I'm doing homework on 32" LCD's during the run up to the January sales so I'm better informed when checking spec vs price.

So far, I've zoned in on HDTV-ready TVs but now I'm beginning to ask myself if I actually need it. We have NTL digital and probably will have it for the foreseeable future (also use their broadband). I'm not up to speed with NTL's HD policy and maybe they aren't either seeing as the Liberty thing is going ahead. There's talk of upgrading the network so I'd imagine that will go between covering more areas, increasing broadband service speeds and, I guess, HD-ing their infrastructure.

We aren't really big DVD watchers (more Divx) and we aren't big film buffs so if/when HDTV is rolled out on NTL I don't think we'll be first in the queue. So I've come to the conclusion that I don't need HDTV. However, is it a matter that they will eventually move everyone over to HDTV by force? Or, like Sky, will they have it as a pricey upgrade kind of thing?

At this stage, the price difference between HD and non-HD LCD is negligble. But, if confronted with a non-HD product that is significantly cheaper than the next cheapest HD-able product, should I take the cheaper non-HD ready LCD or bite the bullet? I just have visions of shops wanting to get rid of their non-HD screens.

For those on a similar hunt, I've started watching prices on Komplett, Pixmania and DID. Since last week the Videoseven LTV32H has dropped €50 from €1149 to €1098. This looks like a HD-ready version of their LTV32D which they have on their front page. This also sells for €1098. This is within the €1100 budget I have set myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Price may be neglible but you need to consider picture quality as well. Take the Sharp P50 range. This is optomised for current SD transmissions and DVD and by all accounts performs very well at it. It is also quite good for HD. It has a HDMI connection and looks bloody well on top of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Yes. Secretly I am eyeing the P50E in DID for €1300. I'm hoping something happens with that in the new year. Also, with these kinds of things, as much as I eye up the prices online, I'd like to be able to walk into a shop and get one just in case there are issues with delivery and returns.

Advertisement