Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of Joey Styles?

• 05-12-2005 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure you've probably heard the news that Joey Styles has just signed a five-year contract with WWE.

He has given an interview with WWE.com that can be read here.

What do you think of Joey Styles though? Do you like him or not?

Personally I think he has done very well. I liked his commentary at ECW One Night Stand and I have liked his commentary on Raw. I'm sad however that JR won't be coming back as he's the greatest ever in my opinion and I think the way WWE let him go was tasteless.

Still, I think Joey deserves a chance though. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I like him. In ECW I thought he did a great job of describing the storylines and the moves, and for the most part he did it all by himself. He never tried to get himself over, never talked about the Main Event at the expense of the other matches, never made stupid mistakes, and never screamed about puppies.

The only negative to that was that Styles could sometimes get a little TOO excited and over bearing. But that's only a small complaint. You can't fault him having passion for what he was calling.

I thought he did a great job at One Night Stand, especially since Foley seemed to phone it in.

I'm glad he signed with WWE. Since Taboo Tuesday he's been a breath of fresh air. Coach just wasn't born to be a commentator and although Lawler can do a good job when he wants to, he's stale for the most part. I think Styles has done a marvellous job. I remember one comment he made recently during a women's match " I'm not disputing how hot the divas are but there's a wrestling match going on! "

I've been waiting years for somebody to say that lol.

Also, I don't think J.R was fired in real life was he? I though he was just fired from commentating on screen. I was under the assumtion he'll still continue his backstage duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

Far better on the mic than that clown Coachman or The Kink. I'm delighted they hired someone with actual play-by-play experience and skills. I wish him well. He definitely deserves a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Also, I don't think J.R was fired in real life was he? I though he was just fired from commentating on screen. I was under the assumtion he'll still continue his backstage duties.

He's still under contract but he's convalescing at home from his surgery. I heard the plan was to have him commentate on the online matches for Heat and Velocity but I don't know if that's still the plan.

I think the way they let him go was tasteless though. He deserved to have a better final moment than being kicked in the balls by Linda McMahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

This is WWE. I assume you saw the video of J.R's "best" moments. We all know about the "Kiss My Ass" club and such things. So I'm not surprised about the send off he got. It was actually quite tame compared to whats ben done to him before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

He's great, but some smarks jerk off about him too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Joey Styles is legendry

delighted to hear he has signed for 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Joey Styles is legendry

delighted to hear he has signed for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I have to say I like him and what he has brought to Raw in recent weeks. The fact that Coachman talks less now is also a very good thing, he's a complete fool:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yup I have to say I like Joey Styles, I always have. I wish they would ditch "The Coach", I have never liked this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

I think it was the best move they could have made, especially seeing as they seem to have forgotten that JR is arguably the best play by play man ever (he'd argue that it's gordon solie).
    I had only seen a little of joey styles before one night stand, in terms of just seeing individual matches with him on instead of whole events. Before one night stand i wasn't a fan, but i think he was excellent at ONS, which is probably what got him the job. I think raw's been much better with him on, i still think they need to drop either the coach or the king - unlike most people i don't hate the coach, he's just not very good at calling matches, i think he's stepped up his game as far as doing colour recently(especially when he doesn't go for the out and out heel commentator), it also seems to have forced jerry lawler to step it up aswell.

I still think it's criminal that they have an asset like JR and seem happy to let him fall by the wayside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I would sincerely doubt that they are letting JR fall by the way side. Most of his issues are purely medical, and he is still maybe the thrid biggest player behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

unlike most people i don't hate the coach, he's just not very good at calling matches

Actually, has anyone heard him on Heat recently? He's completely different to when he's on Raw, and he's much more bearable. And enjoyable at times

Glad to see that Joey got the job, although in a perfect world I'd still rather JR had it for a few more years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I'd agree, Coach seems like a pretty good commentator when he's on heat, maybe because it isn't live but if he could produce that quality on Raw, I think he'd be an asset too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i was delighted to hear Styles on Taboo Tuesday and think he's done an excellent job up to now. thrilled to hear he signed up for 5 years. good man joey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I like Coach, think he's there to do a job and he does it pretty well, have been impressed with Styles since he started on raw, and hopefully he'll keep up the performances.

Cole and Taz on smackdown are grand commentators, and thought survivor series was a highlight for them, especially the ding dong bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Moogle

They should drop Coach and leave it as Styles and King. Then King can be a heel (he doesn't work as a face).

Loved Tazz & Cole vs. Styles, Coach & King

You can bet the SD guys meant every word.

Note: Booker T has auditioned for a commentary job (wants to do that after wrestling)

Moogle wrote:
    Note: Booker T has auditioned for a commentary job (wants to do that after wrestling)

I thought he was awful last week commentating on Benoit's match with Regal. He kept talking over Cole and Tazz, and he didn't even have anything worthwhile to say. Didn't seem like he was playing his character, just seemed like he was crap at it. His voice doesn't really suit commentary either, really overbearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Thing I like about Styles is the way he brings up history from ages ago into each match...an he knows all the right names of the moves...basically he knows his wrestling and he knows how to commentate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote:
    I thought he was awful last week commentating on Benoit's match with Regal. He kept talking over Cole and Tazz, and he didn't even have anything worthwhile to say. Didn't seem like he was playing his character, just seemed like he was crap at it. His voice doesn't really suit commentary either, really overbearing

I thought he was hilarious! He was taking the piss out of himself.

I liked it when he tried to be serious and call the match:

Booker T: Oh man Regal is trying to break Benoit's nose.

Michael Cole: Why the hell would he want to break his nose?

Booker T: Well...ya see...cos it's a vulnerable area.

:D

• Advertisement

I thought he just sounded like he was a crap over-exaggerating commentator!

Advertisement