Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bates hits out at Blues regime

• 05-12-2005 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Ken Bates has told the Russian regime at Chelsea they will never receive good press until the fans are treated with the respect they deserve.

Former Chelsea chairman Bates is now head honcho at Leeds United after selling his stake in the club for an estimated £140 million to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich.

Bates has fond memories after spending over 20 years with the West Londoners following his capture of the side for £1, but does not feel the club's new owners are getting it right off the pitch.

"Obviously a bit of Chelsea will always be in me, I was there over 22 to 23 years," explained Bates to Sky Sports News. "I'm delighted for the fans who have been very loyal for many years.

"I'm delighted for the players, particularly the kids that we signed and brought through like Terry, Lampard, Cole, Gudjohnsen, but I'm not too impressed by type of people who are running the club now.

"I know there's a strong feeling among the fans that they're not treated with the respect they deserve.

"Perhaps that's how they do things in Russia. I think it's a great tragedy at a time when they are doing so well there isn't a feeling of overwhelming delight in the rest of the football community.

"I think that's down to the way they conduct themselves off the field. It's a great pity.

"I know Bruce Buck [Chelsea chairman] took somebody out for lunch a couple of months ago and said 'Why is it when we're so successful that we're getting such bad press?'. Get out and talk to people more and you'll find out."

Bates has revealed he has not spoken to Abramovich since selling his stake in Chelsea, but is hoping for a reunion with the club in the next round of the FA Cup.

Leeds have drawn Wigan away from home in the third round and Bates is hoping The Whites can progress and land a plum tie with The Blues at Elland Road.

"No [there has not been any contact with Abramovich]. He hasn't rung me, he's actually a very introverted person, he keeps himself to himself," he added.

"I hope Leeds get Chelsea at home in fourth round of cup - get a draw go to Stamford Bridge and pick up about £1.5 million."

Story taking from sky sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Geg124 wrote:

"I know there's a strong feeling among the fans that they're not treated with the respect they deserve.

Bates doesn't really back up this in his rant.
    Tbh, it's always going to be like this as a club enters the big leagues.
    I'm sure the majority of Chelski fans are pretty pleased with their situation.
    Sour grapes if anything...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ah good old Bates can never keep his mouth shut can he. I will always respect him for speaking his mind but this time I really have no idea what he is on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I like how he waited so long after he had lined his pockets with Abramovic's money before saying anything negative about him and Chelski. Classy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How much where Chelsea in debt when he sold them?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In fairness, Bates can hardly talk about respecting the fans seeing as he upped the ticket prices at Elland Road by 25% this year. If we'd managed to get promoted last season a price rise would probably have been inevitable, but not while the club is still in the Championship. The fans have voted with their feet and crowds are down around 30% on last season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Very true Zaph crowds really have suffered as a result of the price increase and many have let Bates know about it but he has blatantly refused saying that real fas would pay the money. Some fans just cant afford to spend so much money a year to see a football team. Maybe Bates should concentrate on keeping us Leeds fans happy and forget about everybody else

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think he's forgetting a couple of important points:

1. Leeds isn't a wealthy city like Chelsea's part of London is. A lot of it is a working class city and many people probably don't have an extra 25% to spend watching their team.
    2. Leeds aren't a top flight club, so how can he justify top flight ticket prices? He'd be better dropping the prices and having a full house at Elland Road for every home game. Not too many visiting teams would enjoy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Bit rich coming from Bates, respect for fans was never high on his agenda, he happily raised prices at chelsea over the years and even wanted to put his own supporters behind electric fences !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Wger does the man get his idea's from? He should respect his own fans first and not go raising ticket prices to ridiculous levels before ranting and raving about other teams fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

bates was always a business man first football always came second to and the fans third no wonder fan turnouts are down by 30 percent the man is an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

sour grapes imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement