Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using AJAX??

Options
  • 05-12-2005 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

was talking to a mate the other night, suggested that i might use ajax for a networking based application i am doing.

anyone user or currently it? want to know what its like to work with and if it is any good?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

was talking to a mate the other night, suggested that i might use ajax for a networking based application i am doing.

anyone user or currently it? want to know what its like to work with and if it is any good?
    You're using AJAX on boards.ie for a variety of things :)

I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about the workings of AJAX myself; seems it can be nifty if you have the hardware for it; but nearly counter-productive if there is a large delay in communication between a webserver and database server. The user can be confused why there appears to be no response upon an action.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Gmail is an excellent example of AJAX usage. Their use of it seems alot faster than other sites that use it. They also use it on Google Suggest.

I think its going to become popular in the future but as VanStrummer said if there is a delay between browser and server the user will wonder whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

I rather see things like www.openlaszlo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

CuLT wrote:
    nearly counter-productive if there is a large delay in communication between a webserver and database server. The user can be confused why there appears to be no response upon an action.
    Only a bad programmer would let that happen, simply have a UI change showing something is being loaded. Google does it all the time i.e. innerHTML = "Loading..."; or show a loading .gif; it's easy stuff. That's not a con if it's handled properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've used it a little. Basically it saves the user from having to reload the entire page any time he/she interacts with it. It uses a combination of XMLHttpaccess to request a compact piece of information from the server and Javascript to format and write the new information to the page. If used properly it can really improve the user experience. The technology isn't as new as you might think, it's just Gmail has made it really popular.

If you know Javascript and XML, then it's very easy to work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

well said OfflerCrocGod, having the loading status is fine. Its way better than having to reload a page.

Does anyone know any good tutorials on getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Check out: http://www.ajaxian.com/ for tutorials and news and stuff...

If you're competent in javascript then AJAX is a piece of cake...

If you're using it on an application be careful to use it wisely and not just use it 'because you can'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Be careful if you're using it - it does break users' expectations of how a website should behave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

ajax is not new I was using it 6 years ago

it is used to add more functionality and speed to web guis

nice quick both sides example here
    http://java.sun.com/developer/EJTechTips/2005/tt1122.html#1

Advertisement