Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any info about broadband for claregalway?

• 05-12-2005 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

My sources tell me broadband aint comin to claregalway till 2007. obviously something will happen before then but what? theres an eircom satalite about 5 miles from where i live if that helps. somebody talk to me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Just new to boards.ie,

Was just reading the other thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054855894
    and is says that the Claregalway exchange will be enabled soon for ADSL, checked a friends number on digiweb.ie and it passed!!!! :) well it's about time for him anyways. he's near the Garda station in Claregalway

let us know if your line passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NineArches

SUCCESS! cheers pointofnorturn!
    "Congratulations! Your line appears to be suitable for ADSL broadband":D
    only me mates on some council for getting broadband for claregalway and he says that its unavailabe "even from digiweb" and if he's on the council then surely he'd know, hes been lookin for broadband for... a long time anyways.
    ill ask him bout it and see wat he says, i could have been rong.

yer man has it too. he got it recently for free, he works for eircom. i'll probably get digiweb. so ehhh... do i delete this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

check this out: http://www.claregalway.net/news.php?id=484

Wireless Broadband on its Way
    Monday 9th Jan : Last week the Government announced that they had approved grant aid to Irish Broadband and the Claregalway Broadband Group under the Group Broadband Scheme. This means that the company will be setting up in the area to provide a wireless broadband solution for the community.
    This welcome news follows on from last November when Eircom enabled the local exchange for broadband. The phone based DSL broadband is great but it cannot extend past 4km of the exchange (located in the Church carpark). Even then some houses within that range cannot get the service due to their phone line failing a suitability test. For a rural community like Claregalway this restriction has meant that alot of people still cannot get broadband to their homes and businesses. The wireless solution offered by Irish Broadband will mean that it can offer broadband to a wider area without the need for a phone line.
    For those who are new to computers and the internet, broadband is basically just a fast always-on internet connection. It allows you to surf the internet at high speeds which makes it more useful, and allows you to transfer large files without difficulty. Anyone who has used a regular dial-up internet will know of the problems with using a slow connection.
    Like digital TV, broadband is a service and at the moment you must pay for it. Normally there is an initial connection fee followed by a monthly charge. The charge depends on the package you choose as there are a number of different broadband options, mainly to do with speed. Outside of the monthly charge you will not receieve any extra bill for the amount of time online.
    If you wish to be kept informed about the scheme and its progress then add yourself to the mailing list by sending an email to broadband-subscribe@claregalway.net

thanks for the link, but i live about 2-300 yards from the church carpark.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Has anyone heard when IBB is coming to claregalway with its wireless service. How far will it cover as I live in Cregmore and hope I can get BB very soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

richieg wrote:
    Has anyone heard when IBB is coming to claregalway with its wireless service. How far will it cover as I live in Cregmore and hope I can get BB very soon

Contacted them once i heard here that they where going live, but the sales guy on the phone did not know, as you would expect. but managed to send him this link http://www.claregalway.net/news.php?id=484
    haven't heard anything yet, but probaly won't, well he did say it would be on a ESB mast if it is coming, so the only mast near Claregalway is just beside the turn off to the roscommon road.

More then likely they will be using the same equipment as they do in Galway city, Breeze VL stuff, so i'd reackon once your within 6km from the mast and have clear LOS and a sector is facing your way you should have no problem in getting it.

did you have any look in getting any info yourself?

Advertisement