Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy this car?

Options
  • 05-12-2005 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im not sure if this is in the right place! I would just like to ask for some advice from all of ye extremely intelligent people!! :D:p

Ok heres the story, I have fallen in love with this particular car and I really really really really want to buy it! The thing is it is my first car and it is a Honda CRX and the insurance consider it a high performance car therefore they refuse to insure me on it! :(:( :mad: :confused:

I am still thinking of going ahead and buying this car! The plan is to get insured on a different car that I have for a few months, get my full license and get the insurance transffered over. Does anyone know if the insurance companies would insure me on the CRX if I got my full license? Even though I would only have about 3 months no claims bonus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

The other option is to get someone with a full licence and put them down as the owner and your just insured under there name.
    I was in the same boat myself and i ended up buying a VW polo 1.0, i still have it over a year and half. I think your better off buying a 1.0 car and having for a year and get the licence. The waiting time for your test is 16weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Yea my mother rang the insurance company already and was going to insure the car herself they said there is no way they will insure me on it with no experience and a provisional license!:o

Oh I'm listening to that all day! The thing is I just want this car, not any other car!! :(

Yeah the waiting time for a full license is fairly long! I can get a letter from my boss to speed it up a it though and I wouldn't mind waiting if I knew I could insure the car at the end of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

I was the same myself, but i wanted a Honda Civic 1.6 but i was told my insurance would cost me £5,500 and that was in punt's. I wasn't supid enough to pay that. The Crx is it the honda? I take it is, there alrite nothing special i think tho. I know how you feel being told wait till you get your licence and get a 1.0 for 2 years etc,etc. I wouldn't waste my money on a Honda Crx. I'm looking to buy a VW GOLF next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Legally the insurance company must quote you once you can prove that the car is in your posession. Probably your best option is for you to get insured as a named driver, but insurance companies arent stupid, and the quote is based on the highest risk driver so TBH it wouldnt make a huge difference, and also your not building up a NCB

Is the CRX a del sol model? Is it a VTec or standard?
    TBH I wouldnt let someone on a provisional drive a 168BHP go kart (from experience and accidents ive seen) but each to their own! I started off on a 103BHP 1.4 and tbh im glad I didnt start on anything more powerful as id probably have been lamped around a pole on the first week.

Get your full license and then start looking into more powerful cars. In the meantime stick to your fiesta/polo/saxo etc

Yeah the waiting time for a full license is fairly long! I can get a letter from my boss to speed it up a it though and I wouldn't mind waiting if I knew I could insure the car at the end of it!!

Provided you pass. If you fail the first time, chances are you'll be waiting for full whack for the 2nd chance

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote:
    Is the CRX a del sol model? Is it a VTec or standard?
    TBH I wouldnt let someone on a provisional drive a 168BHP go kart (from experience and accidents ive seen) but each to their own! I started off on a 103BHP 1.4 and tbh im glad I didnt start on anything more powerful as id probably have been lamped around a pole on the first week.

Get your full license and then start looking into more powerful cars. In the meantime stick to your fiesta/polo/saxo etc

Yeah the CRX is a del sol. 1.5 VTec. I know it's a bit of a rocket for a first time driver but I love it so much! (Did i mention its pink??:rolleyes: )

I often drove my boyfriend's car which is a 2.0 GT4 celica!... So really i think this car will be a piece of piss compared to it?? No??

Maybe I should get something smaller to start off with but I am one of these people who wants everything now!!! Its so annoying my head is wrecked because I want this car yesterday!!! Oh and I don't want to get anything like a fiesta/punto/micra! Id rather walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Yeah the CRX is a del sol. 1.5 VTec. I know it's a bit of a rocket for a first time driver but I love it so much! (Did i mention its pink??:rolleyes: )

I often drove my boyfriend's car which is a 2.0 GT4 celica!... So really i think this car will be a piece of piss compared to it?? No??

Maybe I should get something smaller to start off with but I am one of these people who wants everything now!!! Its so annoying my head is wrecked because I want this car yesterday!!! Oh and I don't want to get anything like a fiesta/punto/micra! Id rather walk!

If your head is wrecked at the moment, it'll be worse once you're driving the Del Sol daily during the winter!! I had one about two years ago - same engine as the one you're after. The roof's leak on almost all of them, and you'll suffer the wet right knee syndrome during most heavy rain showers. Its not a particular fast car - so I wouldn't be concerned about that if I were you - especially with the Transtop roof - it weighs 70kg from what I remember.

That said, its quite fun to drive and is a laugh when the summer arrives. I ended up fitting TV's in mine, full stainless exhaust system, red leather recaros from an Integra - sold it to some guy who sprayed it Gold and it had a few features with it. Hibernian insured me on it - they should also cover you under the ignition scheme as its less than 1.6 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

a 1.5 vtec is the same as a 1.8 normal engine!!!!!!!
    not a fooking chance you will be insured for less than e5000, if you relly really really really want it maybe consider a engine change to a 1.3 dx they are in the civics of the era of the crx.
    the del sols are jap imports too so thats more loading and a pain in the arse to get parts. you should really think about another car and wait.. i am 18 and a fella and pay e2500 on a 1.3 mini cooper modified.
    if you want speed copy me the yoke is amazing for its size

oh ye you could do what the refugees do.... insure the thing for a year and cancel the insurance.
    you have the disc valid for a year
    get your money back
    but you are a uninsured wanker and better hope you dont run into me.
    i dont advise this at all.

Yea I've heard that alright about the roofs leaking! I think I would get over that though! The car is lovely like!
    I just got an email from Britton Insurance there! When I phoned them today they declined me but they send me an email with a quote of €8,200!! hehe, Ok Im not that desprate yet!
    So lads, any suggestions? I have a friend who can pimp my ride for half nothing really!! Are there any nice looking cars around that would be easy enough to get insured on but at the same time look nice and sporty? Don't say anything like a corsa/punto/micra etc etc etc!! Pleeeaaasse dont insult my intelligence!!! :p
    Something that looks along the lines of a crx/mx5/rx7 you know that kind of shape?

• Advertisement

forget about it if u wana car like that, coz u wont get one with less than a 1.5 unless you consider the opel tigra or the ford puma

Ford puma's aren't too bad actually! They come in VTec too don't they?? hehehehe :D only joking!
    A big "ehhhh NO" to the Tigra! Im not a big fan of those really! There must be some other small sporty cars around that the insurance companies would consider me for!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

a 1.5 vtec is the same as a 1.8 normal engine!!!!!!!
    not a fooking chance you will be insured for less than e5000, if you relly really really really want it maybe consider a engine change to a 1.3 dx they are in the civics of the era of the crx.
    the del sols are jap imports too so thats more loading and a pain in the arse to get parts. you should really think about another car and wait.. i am 18 and a fella and pay e2500 on a 1.3 mini cooper modified.
    if you want speed copy me the yoke is amazing for its size

The 1.5 130hp in a car that weighs 1080kg (trans top). Close to 1250kg with a passenger. Not too fast. Too fast for someone just starting out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Well lah-dee-dah ,maybe you would be better off walkin then.

get over it - your not gonna get it insured(damn right too) , you can forget about it .
    and you dont desreve to have more than 70bhp under your right foot. ...(thats where the accelerator pedal is incase u didnt know)

PlayaFlow wrote:
    Well lah-dee-dah ,maybe you would be better off walkin then.

get over it - your not gonna get it insured(damn right too) , you can forget about it .
    and you dont desreve to have more than 70bhp under your right foot. ...(thats where the accelerator pedal is incase u didnt know)

Ooooh! Someone's getting narky!! Whats wrong do you drive a cinquento? It's ok I won't hold it against you!! :p haha

Oh yeaah go on just take the stupid insurance companies side!!

bp_me wrote:
    The 1.5 130hp in a car that weighs 1080kg (trans top). Close to 1250kg with a passenger. Not too fast. Too fast for someone just starting out though.

the point being.........................

Ooooh! Someone's getting narky!! Whats wrong do you drive a cinquento? It's ok I won't hold it against you!! :p haha

in fairness if you drive like 98% of women he has a huge point, now i amnt sayin you do.....and its not sexist, just drive a car to find the fact to be true

no , not being narky .
    And in fairness for your first car it is a bit too over enthusiastic too say the least.
    and no , im not taking the insurance companies side , I hate those scheisters as much as the next man here.

..and finally , no i dont drive a cinquecnto - i drive a mitsubishi colt , ..and on weekends my dads merc 2.7 , mwahahaha ....*screw you insurance companies*

in fairness if you drive like 98% of women he has a huge point, now i amnt sayin you do.....and its not sexist, just drive a car to find the fact to be true

How can you say that he has a point by saying "you don't deserve to have 70bhp under your foot"?? What kind of a stupid comment is that to make when someone is asking some advice!! I didn't ask for abuse.. just advice!

Oh I know what will be under my foot if ye keep it up!! :p

I agree that a lot of women can't drive! My mother being one of them! :rolleyes: But ya can't tar us all with the same brush! I am a good driver, as I said before I used to drive my boyfriends car! I don't think he would have let me drive if he didn't think I was good!

PlayaFlow wrote:

..and finally , no i dont drive a cinquecnto - i drive a mitsubishi colt , ..and on weekends my dads merc 2.7 , mwahahaha ....*screw you insurance companies*

Hmmmm *wonder what a colt would look like painted pink??? hehehehehehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Maybe you should consider a BMW E30 316i (in other words the '87 to '91 model), They Have "only" 90bhp (you can chip them and get good induction kit and exhaust to give about 115bhp if mapped properly) but they are rear wheel drive (Good for donuts and guaranteee plenty of sideways action once you fit a lsd or... Shock horror.. weld up the diff!! :-) ) and actually have a nice sporty feel to them. Plenty of sensibe upgrade availabe for them and even though you seem to like more sleek lines of jap sports cars and these are boxy, they are certainly not some weedy little corsa or saxo and are a pretty stylin little car.

you can insure these on a provisional licence with hibernian and quinn's i beleive. Insurance for me on provisional was approx €3,150 but Im a guy so you'd probably get it cheaper. Same gos for 318i but more expensive. Start out with 115bhp on standard 318 and 125-ish wit chip etc. wont ever beat a vtec civic for acceleration but will kick its ass on the back roads if driven properly and is way more fun and much higher quality car.
    You could even fit the mental wide arch M3 bodykit.

How can you say that he has a point by saying "you don't deserve to have 70bhp under your foot"?? What kind of a stupid comment is that to make when someone is asking some advice!! I didn't ask for abuse.. just advice!

Oh I know what will be under my foot if ye keep it up!! :p

I agree that a lot of women can't drive! My mother being one of them! :rolleyes: But ya can't tar us all with the same brush! I am a good driver, as I said before I used to drive my boyfriends car! I don't think he would have let me drive if he didn't think I was good!

if ya read my thread it would have said that i wasnt saying you are a bad driver and i am only 18 and i will admit it is suicide to give a inexperienced driver a car with either big mass or big bhp. look at the news at the weekend. even with 70bhp you can do a hell of a lot of damge

TBH its not the car, its the person driving it.
    I had the pleasure of driving a Skyline for a few weeks during the summer and I didnt let her go sideways once on the road. The only time I had a bit of fun was in a Car Park (private at that)

OP: Your just being a little too optimistic. Before you think about getting a sporty car/powerful car get yerself a full license. In the meantime, you could always walk (As you say youd prefer to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Con_316 wrote:
    Maybe you should consider a BMW E30 316i (in other words the '87 to '91 model), They Have "only" 90bhp (you can chip them and get good induction kit and exhaust to give about 115bhp if mapped properly) but they are rear wheel drive (Good for donuts and guaranteee plenty of sideways action once you fit a lsd or... Shock horror.. weld up the diff!! :-) ) and actually have a nice sporty feel to them. Plenty of sensibe upgrade availabe for them and even though you seem to like more sleek lines of jap sports cars and these are boxy, they are certainly not some weedy little corsa or saxo and are a pretty stylin little car.

you can insure these on a provisional licence with hibernian and quinn's i beleive. Insurance for me on provisional was approx €3,150 but Im a guy so you'd probably get it cheaper. Same gos for 318i but more expensive. Start out with 115bhp on standard 318 and 125-ish wit chip etc. wont ever beat a vtec civic for acceleration but will kick its ass on the back roads if driven properly and is way more fun and much higher quality car.
    You could even fit the mental wide arch M3 bodykit.

316i/318i are just big heavy lumps of yokes.As for doughnuts or anything remotely sideways in either of them you may move to some arctic ice country to try it,wouldnt waste my money for a Diff for one as there still heavy junkers and after the amount of money the said mods would cost she could have a much quicker car if she wanted without all the hassle and still having only 115bhp to show for it.

@The Op,Look at a non vtec gen2 model if you really love the look of the car
    Other than that wait untill you have your full licence and try again.

Failing that get insured under your B/f if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

walkings all well and good but it doesnt get you any no claims bonus or experience, you have to buy a small low powered car and look at it as an investment, buy a polo, 106, 206, fiesta or what ever, dont do anything to it, get a full licence and a few years no claims bonus. all the time save as much money as ya can and put it towards getting the car that you really want.

i know its a bitch but thats what ya have to do, i been driving for 5 years now and i'm still stuck with a 80bhp focus but i can get insured in anything up to 180bhp with britton insurance for €2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Well eireal, FOR A START, to call a e30 3 series big is laughable. Heavy yes but at leats they are well built and have high quality materials We are taliking about this girl's first car here and this im afraid makes your little comment about using money for decent powerful car redundant. An e30 316i or 318i is a very safe, sweet handling carwith enough power to make it fun for someone on thier first time out. And no, you do not need to move to an arctic country to donut a 316. A 316i with a limo from 325 sport will donut on command if you know how to play with rear wheel drive cars and arent too scared to rev the engine hard.
    The fact is theyre a nice easy car to drive and fairly insurable. Any well set up E30 3 Series will leave a civic sucking on exhaust fumes and dust in a situation that involves actual driving and pushing the car to the limits rather than making noise in you local car park or winning the traffic lights grand prix. It's possible to set up a rear driver car to handle far better because the weight distribiutio is better and rwd cars dont suffer from understeer. Something which caught out a friend in his Levin Bzr while trying to catch my beemer (not a 316). Unfortunately he hit a ditch and made sh1t of the front of his car because it couldont turn enough to get round the corner.
    But obviously im not saying its good to push a car that far because people get killed that way. im just saying that rwd cars in general can be made to handle way better and my first point was that this girl who started the post needs a nice safe, reliable but fun car which you can still insure, and a 316 fits the bill.

draffodx wrote:
    walkings all well and good but it doesnt get you any no claims bonus or experience

Hehehe! True,I never thought of it that way!!

I have done a bit of thinking and I've figured out what I am doing!! I've filled out the form for my full license and I am going to post it tomorrow with a letter from my boss saying I need my test asap!

I just got a quote on a 1.3 turbo starlet that my boyfriend has in the garage! He has just done loads of stuff to it inside and out! Its being painted House of Kolor Cobalt blue as we speak! I got a quote of €2200 from top quote! (Strange considering this car is wayyyy nippier than the CRX!!.. well thats insurance companies for ya!)

Anyheww, I'm still going ahead and buying my beloved car! :D Its going staying in the garage for aas long as it takes to get my full license and then I will just transfer my insurance over from the starlet! (if the insurance company lets me!) If I can't get insured on it then I will have to sell it but it is definatly worth a lot more than what I am buying it for! So if all comes to all, I will still make a profit on the thing! :D

There has to be a way to beat these stupid insurance companies! They are so full of crap its unbelievable! :rolleyes:

Anyheww, Thanks guys!

Oh lord, your a skanger bird arent you?? ......j/k

anyway , 2000 for a starletGT on a prov. is unlikley
    are you sure you told them its a GT and are you sure it hasnt been falsley registered as a 1.3gli (non turbo)

because if thats the case , your paying 2000 euros for a piece of paper and come to an accident you wont be insured and well and truly F***ed.
    -they do send out insurance surveyors after a claim y'know.

Hapend to some guy i know - very messy.

PS: how old are you btw?

Yes, I did tell them it was a 1.3 turbo starlet! I was a bit suprised myself! I am 20 yrs old with a provisional licence and no driving experience and this was the quote that they gave! (A few of the other insurance companies gave me quotes of €2500 and there abouts!

I wouldn't tell them that it's something it's not! Im not that stupid!!! :rolleyes:

Hehehe, oh I think I would be a bit insulted if I knew what a skanger was!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

come out of your cave

Advertisement