Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy this car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

Oh I was just looking at the Hibernian website there and it says if you do the ignition course and pass that you can get insured on any car once it is under 1.6cc.
    Does anyone know if there are any restrictions to this?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

hiberniandirect.ie have this note

you can get insured if :

Your Car is not a car vanette, kit car, sports car, convertible, gti, Vtec. Is a right hand drive model and not converted, adapted or modified in any way.

better ring them before.

Quinn direct could be the only option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

2000 on a Gt is a stupidly low quote!Two of my friends are 24,full licence and 4years ncb and there renewal was only slightly less than that!

Insurance companies seem to have loaded the premiums for Gts/glanza's this year and in some cases wont even take them on.

Afailk Hibernian wont take Gt's or Vtec's on as part of the ignition,best bet is to ring and find out.

Yeah I saw that alright! The thing is that the CRX is actually on the log book as a 1.5 non VTec! As far as I know if thats what is on your log book they can't do anything about it!?? Is that right?

It is still considered a convertible like! How crap is that? and the Trans Top doesn't even work!!! :rolleyes:

Im going to ring Hibernian and find out what the story is!

Yeah eireal it is definatly stupidly low! It's a big conspiracy if you ask me!! Feckin stoopid insurance companies don't have a bloody clue!

Yeah I saw that alright! The thing is that the CRX is actually on the log book as a 1.5 non VTec! As far as I know if thats what is on your log book they can't do anything about it!?? Is that right?

!

This is one of the reasons why insurance is so high on these and other cars,fcukin ejits making false declarations knowing well what the car is,if your willing to insure it as par logbook then you dont deserve to be on the roads imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

It is still considered a convertible like! How crap is that? and the Trans Top doesn't even work!!! :rolleyes:

Im going to ring Hibernian and find out what the story is!

Yeah eireal it is definatly stupidly low! It's a big conspiracy if you ask me!! Feckin stoopid insurance companies don't have a bloody clue!

I've never seen the word Vtec on the logbook of any of my Civics or CRX... but theres no non-vtec Del Sol (apart from in the States) , so it won't make a difference. Its technically not a convertible, its a Targa - Hibernian had mine down as a Honda Civic CRX ESi when I insured it, just make you you tell them its an import and a 1.5 when they're quoting you.

eireal wrote:
    This is one of the reasons why insurance is so high on these and other cars,fcukin ejits making false declarations knowing well what the car is,if your willing to insure it as par logbook then you dont deserve to be on the roads imo.

So your telling me you would be completely honest and tell the insurance company it's actually a VTec even though you know by doing this that they won't insure you??? Thats BOLLOX if i ever heard it!!!

kdevitt wrote:
    I've never seen the word Vtec on the logbook of any of my Civics or CRX... but theres no non-vtec Del Sol (apart from in the States) , so it won't make a difference. Its technically not a convertible, its a Targa - Hibernian had mine down as a Honda Civic CRX ESi when I insured it, just make you you tell them its an import and a 1.5 when they're quoting you.

Thanks for that! :D How old were you when they insured you?
    Did you have a no claims bonus??

Thanks for that! :D How old were you when they insured you?
    Did you have a no claims bonus??

This won't be much comfort - I was 27 with 5 years NCB and a full licence for 6 years!

The Vtec disclaimer thing is a bit silly imo though - for example, a Civic VEi / ETi has a Vtec engine, but its designed to be economical and they'd barely pull the skin off custard. Just try ringing every company in the phone book... its a pain in the arse, but you might get a half decent quote.

kdevitt wrote:
    This won't be much comfort - I was 27 with 5 years NCB and a full licence for 6 years!

The Vtec disclaimer thing is a bit silly imo though - for example, a Civic VEi / ETi has a Vtec engine, but its designed to be economical and they'd barely pull the skin off custard. Just try ringing every company in the phone book... its a pain in the arse, but you might get a half decent quote.

:eek: Oh I wish I didn't ask you that!!!! Ahh, Im sure I will find someone to insure me once I get a full license anyway! I'll have to post some pics of it when I get it! (collecting it Thursday!) hehe! Can't wait!

• Advertisement

So your telling me you would be completely honest and tell the insurance company it's actually a VTec even though you know by doing this that they won't insure you??? Thats BOLLOX if i ever heard it!!!

Yes of course i would declare it,otherwise id be paying 2k for a piece of paper to sit in my window and would have no cover in the case of a claim.

You shouldnt be on the road if thats you view,its because of T!ts like you insurance is the way it is

eireal wrote:
    Yes of course i would declare it,otherwise id be paying 2k for a piece of paper to sit in my window and would have no cover in the case of a claim.

You shouldnt be on the road if thats you view,its because of T!ts like you insurance is the way it is

But if it is on a log book as a non VTec then I can insure it as a non VTec can't I? Like in most cases someone wouldn't know whether it was a VTec or not and just go by what their log book says!

As far as I know whatever type of car is stated in your log book is the same type of car you insure it for right??

No your still making a false declaration and your insurance WILL be void in the case of an accident or claim,Insurance companies are well wide to this,ive been stopped before and had my engine checked by the gaurds,i was also made send in my log book with an engineers report to prove what the car was.

This kinda thing happens all the time and the excuse "the log book just says 1.5" wont cover you,its the same as buying a starlet turbo and insuring it as a non turbo.

But if it is on a log book as a non VTec then I can insure it as a non VTec can't I? Like in most cases someone wouldn't know whether it was a VTec or not and just go by what their log book says!

As far as I know whatever type of car is stated in your log book is the same type of car you insure it for right??

You'll can be done for non-declaration in the event of an accident if you don't mention something like that - but as I said earlier, theres no such thing over here as a non Vtec Del Sol, so no point mentioning it - they'll already know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

its kinda bollox in a way coz the only true way to measure the engine size is to measure the cylinder and apply the formula to get the cc. so a log book means **** all, coz they could of been switched or the PERSON selling the car could be full of bullshat

Oh right! I always thought that whatever is written on the log book is what you tell the insurance company it is! Well, I'm glad I know that you can't do that!
    At the same time though, should it not make everyone else's insurance cheaper?.. Well since all these young fellas are going around with their Turbo Starlets and insuring them as normal starlets! If they crash then the insurance companies don't have to pay out anything!
    ... So why does this drive up the cost of insurance can anyone explain to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

Oh right! I always thought that whatever is written on the log book is what you tell the insurance company it is! Well, I'm glad I know that you can't do that!
    At the same time though, should it not make everyone else's insurance cheaper?.. Well since all these young fellas are going around with their Turbo Starlets and insuring them as normal starlets! If they crash then the insurance companies don't have to pay out anything!
    ... So why does this drive up the cost of insurance can anyone explain to me?

of course!!!! it just makes our risk factor huge....... ****ing scumbags.

Advertisement