Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL with Netgearb DG834G (wireless adsl router)

• 05-12-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Folks,

I switched from Clicksilver to NTL and thought I could use my old Netgear DG834G (wireless adsl router). I haven't been able to get it working. I've searched quite a bit on google and found many queries but no answers.

Is this possible?

I disabled the DHCP on the Netgear router and plugged the network cable from the cable modem into the router but no joy.

Do I need to buy a wireless access point?

Thanks in advance,

Dopey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Draylor

Its possible.

Look at the 'advanced routing' options under setup, you need to setup a default route via your cable modem.

destination IP 0.0.0.0
    subnet mask 0.0.0.0
    gateway IP.of.cable.modem
    hop count 1

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Draylor,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I am going to give that a go now.

There's one thing I'm not so sure about. If I define the gateway to be the IP of the cable modem will I have to change it every time the cable modem is restarted? The IP addresses are set via DHCP aren't they?

Thanks again,

Dopey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The DG834G is an ADSL modem with a router added on. I didn't think it was possible to use it as just a router?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is an ADSL modem/router, more then likely it won't work with NTL.

What you need is a Broadband Router with a WAN port. Any from the following page will do the job:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/Category.asp?PcatIDL1=2&CatID=20&l=2&CnL1=NTL/Telewest&CnL2=Wireless%20Cable%20Routers

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Hi Draylor,

I made the changes and restarted the cable modem. I believe I need to do this in order to allow a new MAC address to connect. The address of the gable modem changed when I restarted.

Am I missing something?

Thanks to all for the replies..

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement