Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web 2.0 app idea

Options
  • 05-12-2005 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've an idea but I honestly don't know if it's worth developing.

My idea is both a desktop solution and a web service.

Desktop:
    Instead of having to remember where all of your favourite music, photos, movies, doc/txt/html/php/jsp files are etc. why not TAG them and create new SETS and organize files this way (think Flickr.com) in an easy to use application. Searching would be alot easier and it'd provide you with a nicer way of managing files on your computer.
    Browsing would be alot easier and fun too.

Expand this into a web service:

Offer a couple of GB of stoarge space (please don't discuss bandwidth issues) where you can upload files onto a remote drive and arrange them the exact same way as the desktop app described above except that they'd be accessible from anywhere without depending on the desktop app.

Initial thoughts/suggestions?

Regards,
    Digi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1) The first part is already being taken care of as a part of Microsoft's new file system, WinFS. There is also an API included that exposes the tags you create and allows applications to act on them in a certain way automatically. Thats not to say that it isn't a good idea.

2) The second part is a good idea, but without really, really strong security I wouldn't trust it with much.

3) Web 2.0 is probably the suckiest name in all of suckdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't know Microsoft were doing this, thanks for fillin me in. Of course - I could release an API with my app too! :)
    Yeah, security would be a major concern and I'd hate to have to devote development time 100% to security fixes.

Any other input/possible improvements?

Regards,
    Digi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

The first idea, doesn't sound like anything too original, why would you need the internet for it. It's just a tag search software. I wouldn't say it'd be something that'd take off unless it was integrated into the OS, by the developer. Then again, I'd rarely need to search the computer for a file.

As for the second idea, I don't know how practical that is, I mean now that usb keys are getting bigger and bigger it's not exactly needed to have a remote HD, also now that Blue Ray Cd's in development for personal use called 25-50gb Cd's will be easily accessible soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

Shrimp wrote:
    I'd rarely need to search the computer for a file.
    But I bet you use explorer the whole time - what I'm talking about is a shell replacement of some sort. Although you are right, speed is important and integration with the OS would be nice.
    Still - that doesn't stop people from using Firefox over IE!

2. TechCrunch obviously feel that there is still a need for cheap remote drives. What happens when your hd goes fubar?

Any other ideas?

Regards,
    Digi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

yeah I get what you mean, however it doesn't seem too original. Then again, with an idea such as this, new ideas will spawn form it.

What about Google and msn desktop search app. you can download, that practically does what you're saying, or does it?

I will say that you are definitely thinking along the right lines in going for the web 2.0 option as this is definitely the way the internet is going.

The industry will move from web design towards interface design as companies go from commissioning websites to commissioning applications. companies are going to want desktop applications that are as accessible as an app. but will have the diversity of the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement