Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How things work...

• 05-12-2005 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

This should hopefully be a lot more straightforward than last year...
    There won't be any need for category suggestions. i'll just be creating the same categories as last year, along with a couple of newbies.
    The "best ever" awards are taking a break this year, which will free up enough room for the new categories. (it's kind of pointless creating over 20 categories, as anything beyond this number will get pushed onto the next page of this forum's index)

As before, i'll be leaving the nominee threads open until a few days after crimbo, whereby i'll close these threads and create the polls.

A list of every category follows - if anyone has any suggestions on how to reorganise it, go right ahead (like i said before, i don't want any more than 20 threads, hence the grouping of Xbox and Xbox 360)

Overall Game of the Year - Nominee thread created

Platform specific awards
    PC Game of the Year - Nominee thread created
    PS2 Game of the Year - Nominee thread created
    Gamecube Game of the Year - Nominee thread created
    XBox/Xbox360 Game of the Year - Nominee thread created
    Handheld Game of the Year - Nominee thread created

Genres
    FPS - Nominee thread created
    Strategy - Nominee thread created
    Sports - Nominee thread created
    RPG - Nominee thread created
    Racing - Nominee thread created
    Action-Adventure - Nominee thread created
    Online - Nominee thread created
    Sim - Nominee thread created

Characters
    Best Character - Nominee thread created
    Best Bad Guy - Nominee thread created
    Hottest [strike]Female[/strike] Character - Nominee thread created

Misc
    Best Soundtrack - Nominee thread created
    Best Story - Nominee thread created
    Disappointment of the Year - Nominee thread created
    [strike]Addon, Expansion or TC of the Year[/strike] - Deleted due to lack of interest

*update - 5/1/06*
    All nominee suggestion threads have been closed and i've began counting suggestions and creating polls.
    all polls should hopefully be up within the next couple of days

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, we know who doesn't play any flight sims. (Or tank sims, or submarine sims... Or even just 'The Sims.' I can't find a suitable category for any of the games I spend most of my time on)

Does Strategy include both RTSs and 'Other'? I mean, it's kindof hard to compare Dawn of War with, say, Combat Mission.

Also, what's the definition of 'Action Adventure anyway?' Is that where I would put Silent Hunter III? An entirely different genre to Resident Evil 4, after all. Perhaps the definitions should be listed on the category threads?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Well, we know who doesn't play any flight sims. (Or tank sims, or submarine sims... Or even just 'The Sims.' I can't find a suitable category for any of the games I spend most of my time on)
    I guess there's no way to avoid going over 20 threads, then...
    What do you suggest i call the Sim category? ("Best Sim of 2005" is the obvious choice, unless someone has a better suggestion...)
    Does Strategy include both RTSs and 'Other'? I mean, it's kindof hard to compare Dawn of War with, say, Combat Mission.
    can't say i've ever played Combat Mission... sounds like a strategy game to me, though.
    i can't remember recieving any complaints about this one last year. it's not supposed to be a professional, all encompassing awards ceremony after all... just a bunch of nerds having a bit of a laugh
    Also, what's the definition of 'Action Adventure anyway?' Is that where I would put Silent Hunter III? An entirely different genre to Resident Evil 4, after all. Perhaps the definitions should be listed on the category threads?
    i'll get back to you on that one...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

tman wrote:
    I guess there's no way to avoid going over 20 threads, then...
    What do you suggest i call the Sim category? ("Best Sim of 2005" is the obvious choice, unless someone has a better suggestion...)

Seems logical.
    can't say i've ever played Combat Mission... sounds like a strategy game to me, though.

It is. It's just it appeals to an entirely different part of the brain to an RTS. You might as well compare Warcraft with Chess.
    i'll get back to you on that one...
    Well, in that example, SHIII would fit under the 'sim' category should one be created. Definitions still might be helpful though.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hottest female should be changed to Hottest Character to appease Kirby and Koneko who both will probably vote for Leon Kennedy. At least it would be some competition for the DOA girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Bah!
    I liked it the old sexist way:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement