Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from Eircom to BT for Broadband

• 05-12-2005 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Everyones advises from my previous posting is to change to BT for broadband
    using the combined BB + line rental package of €40 per month. (after first 4 months at €25). At present I am on dialup with Eircom.
    Can anyone advise how long the change takes or how it proceeds. At present I have all my email address as ??????@eircom.net, at I correct in saying I will have to set up new e-mail addresses. Is it possible to have dial up as stbi when one changes over to Broadband.??
    Any recomendations as to what modem to buy for BB.
    All suggestions of help greatfully received.
    Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Switched to BT from Eircom a few months ago. BT were a little slow as they managed to mislay my original BB order, and when they logged my new order it was just after they started a promotion had started which slowed things up further, but speaking to others I appear just to have been a bit unlucky. Once they got everything sorted they've been pretty good. They supply the modem, so no worries there. There's also no need to change your e-mail addresses, I've kept mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

The hassle i had with them when ordering broadband and being told different thing each.I know a few people with BT and they were geting stupid bills and sometimes not geting a bill and geting charged double. My advice is to stick with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Gaz25 wrote:
    The hassle i had with them when ordering broadband and being told different thing each.I know a few people with BT and they were geting stupid bills and sometimes not geting a bill and geting charged double. My advice is to stick with eircom.
    People have also had problems with eircon. Go and get BT broadband with online billing and line rental and you should end up with a cheaper set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've had no real problems with BT since I switched 5 months ago. They initially forgot to give me my €5 discount for online billing but that's sorted now.

The only reason I'm leaving them is because NTL is now available in my area. If you can't get NTL, get BT.

And I've kept my eircom email address too.

While you still have a phone you can still dial-up if required.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

speedbird1 wrote:
    Everyones advises from my previous posting is to change to BT for broadband
    using the combined BB + line rental package of €40 per month. (after first 4 months at €25). At present I am on dialup with Eircom.
    Can anyone advise how long the change takes or how it proceeds. At present I have all my email address as ??????@eircom.net, at I correct in saying I will have to set up new e-mail addresses. Is it possible to have dial up as stbi when one changes over to Broadband.??
    Any recomendations as to what modem to buy for BB.
    All suggestions of help greatfully received.
    Thank You

You can keep your eircom email addresses - all you need to do is leave your incoming mail as the eircom setting (mail1.eircom.net) put in the esat smtp (mail.iol.ie) when you are setting your your email accounts.

http://btireland.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/btireland.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=329&p_created=1085139842&p_sid=ltTzgkWh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD02NTMmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Although I think someone did point out in a post a while ago that it is possible to leave the eircom smtp setting in as an alternative?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Tonio

I signed up to BT (previously used dial up) and it took approx 2.5 weeks to get my router in the post. I would recommend BT as I have had no problems so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

are eircom on ORBS for having SMTP open like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Hi,

I'm also thinking of moving the same route (Eircom -> BT) but I need some clarifications as to how best to do the switch. I've no real problems with Eircom except for their prices. I hear that BT offers the same good quality at significantly lower prices so I'm going for their bundle Line + BB at EUR 40.

Now the questions:
    1) do I need to first order from BT and only then cancel Eirom or I can cancel and then order any time after it?
    2) how fast they activate the telephone line if I have it deactivated by Eircom?
    3) when the BT billing starts - from the time when I place the order or when I actually connect to the line?
    4) their offer Line + BB at EUR 25 refers to first time broadband customers only (everybody else can get it for EUR 40) but first time means for BT or for BB, i.e., if I was a BB customer but from Eircom do I qualify?

My ideal scenario would be to cancel Eircom next week, go on a three week holiday and upon return early next year order BT and get it up and running as soon as possible. Is it feasible?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Gaz25 wrote:

I never thought I'd hear the day when someone on boards would recommend staying with eircon :eek:

I sent in my BT Broadband and Phone Line application form about 2 weeks ago, i'll probably have to call BT and chase it up and probably have to wait another 2 weeks. But it will be worth it.

eircon currently charging me €39.99 for Broadband and €27.99 for talktime, (which i've asked them to cancel on several occasions, with no avail)

BT charge €40 for both broadband and line rental and have cheaper phone calls.

and most importantly they're not eircon.

if you're in a smart area go with smart, if in an NTL area get NTL and blueface, if you're anywhere else get BT.

The moral of the story is eircon are overcharging rapists, their QOS is not better than anyone else, and they're screwing you right now.

B2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

none wrote:
    4) their offer Line + BB at EUR 25 refers to first time broadband customers only (everybody else can get it for EUR 40) but first time means for BT or for BB, i.e., if I was a BB customer but from Eircom do I qualify?
    I was thinking the same thing... Anyone have the answer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

none wrote:
    Hi,

I'm also thinking of moving the same route (Eircom -> BT) but I need some clarifications as to how best to do the switch. I've no real problems with Eircom except for their prices. I hear that BT offers the same good quality at significantly lower prices so I'm going for their bundle Line + BB at EUR 40.

Now the questions:
    1) do I need to first order from BT and only then cancel Eirom or I can cancel and then order any time after it?

Order from BT, they'll cancel eircom over for you so its a amooth transition
    none wrote:
    2) how fast they activate the telephone line if I have it deactivated by Eircom?
    They'll quote 2 weeks, probably longer
    none wrote:
    3) when the BT billing starts - from the time when I place the order or when I actually connect to the line?

They'll quote 2 weeks, probably longer
    none wrote:
    it means bb, you won't qualify
    none wrote:
    My ideal scenario would be to cancel Eircom next week, go on a three week holiday and upon return early next year order BT and get it up and running as soon as possible. Is it feasible?

Thanks

no problem

Just spoke to both and the sad thing is that I can't quite cancel one before moving to another. At least, I need to have an active line. I can't move anywhere after closing down my Eircom account completely. I can only terminate BB but BT recommended keeping it also for a faster transition. Without it (if I don't have an active BB when I move to BT) it may take up to two month before they can activate it. That's scary but at least honest. Again, they recommend keeping both phone line and BB at Eircom while transferring it to BT and paying for both services to both companies for the transition period (yes, I double-checked it)! Also, they don't offer a BB service without a modem which is sometimes annoying as you'll have to send it back to them at some stage anyway. By the way, anybody has Netgear DG834G on BT BB? I'm thinking of getting this wireless model and won't really need their Zyxel after it.
    p.s. Eircom was unexpectedly open when I asked about their plans to lower their prices. They just said they don't have such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

none wrote:
    Just spoke to both and the sad thing is that I can't quite cancel one before moving to another. At least, I need to have an active line. I can't move anywhere after closing down my Eircom account completely. I can only terminate BB but BT recommended keeping it also for a faster transition. Without it (if I don't have an active BB when I move to BT) it may take up to two month before they can activate it. That's scary but at least honest. Again, they recommend keeping both phone line and BB at Eircom while transferring it to BT and paying for both services to both companies for the transition period (yes, I double-checked it)! Also, they don't offer a BB service without a modem which is sometimes annoying as you'll have to send it back to them at some stage anyway. By the way, anybody has Netgear DG834G on BT BB? I'm thinking of getting this wireless model and won't really need their Zyxel after it.
    p.s. Eircom was unexpectedly open when I asked about their plans to lower their prices. They just said they don't have such.

:confused:

Are you not just transferring your service from Eircom to BT? There should be no downtime. You should not have to contact Eircom at all. You just apply to BT and they cancel Eircom on your behalf and enable your BT services at the same time. When I moved from Eircom to BT I had NO downtime. Not a single minute

I'm guessing I've missed something somwehere?

Sarsfield wrote:
    :confused:

Are you not just transferring your service from Eircom to BT? There should be no downtime. You should not have to contact Eircom at all. You just apply to BT and they cancel Eircom on your behalf and enable your BT services at the same time. When I moved from Eircom to BT I had NO downtime. Not a single minute

I'm guessing I've missed something somwehere?

That's what I'm trying to find out. In my original post above I was asking if I need to keep the line or I can take a break. For me taking the break would be better as I'll be away for a while. But by the sounds of it, it doesn't promise anything good as they strongly recommend keeping the lines (phone and BB) while transferring to another company. Also, BT said that it is possible that I will end up paying to both during this transition. You see, I don't want to wait two months before they enable my line (after it is disabled by Eircom) but paying to both Eircom and BT while they mess around with account transfer doesn't appeal to me either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm in a similar boat, moving from eircom to BT BB+ package, already with BT for rental and bills.
    Took them a week and a half to get the transfer form out to me - had to phone back after 3 days, they had the form a week and hadn't processed yet - I phoned to chase up on progress.
    Now 3 weeks since call to BT to switch, still with Eircom and told by BT that all in Eircom's hands now.
    Have not contacted Eircom myself yet, told not to cancel Eircom by BT just to fill in the transfer form. was advised there would be downtime of about 5 working days as I make the switch.
    As a previous BB customer I do not get the reduced sub for first few months.
    Note that the €50/month includes the €5 online deduction for online billing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Good info in this thread guys.
    I too am in the same boat as ye.
    My 12 month contract with Eircom is up on the 14th of Dec.
    I then plan to transfer to BT.
    I guess I should contact BT immediately to get the ball in motion ?
    I dont want to be left out in the cold with no broadband over Christmas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I guess I should contact BT immediately to get the ball in motion ?
    Yes - I'm not certain that eircon use a rolling contract but if you have been with them for more then a year then you are more then likely on one, so I'd move now.

I'm with Eircom 14 months on Dec 14th.
    First 2 months were a free trial then I entered a 12 month min contract .
    This expires on the 14th of December 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Yes - I'm not certain that eircon use a rolling contract but if you have been with them for more then a year then you are more then likely on one, so I'd move now.

think eircom do 6 month contracts now as standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Thank everyone for their advice. I have gone with what almost everyone
    recommends, BT +.
    I placed the order by phone this AM and got the guys name and phone number for confirmation of the order. Received e-mail confirmation this PM.
    Suppose to be on line with broadband within 2 weeks and the phone line to change 2/3 days later.
    I will keep all advised as to how it works in practice.
    For information BT cofmirm there will be no break in service, one will not even
    notice the change over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

DO NOT GO TO BT!. My god they are the worst company i have ever dealt with. I had to go to eircom to change my BB. They overcharge, are quite incompetent and with bill u without even sending u a bill and then write u a letter sayin that u havent paid the bill. Idiots, just plain simple idiots

I'm with Eircom 14 months on Dec 14th.
    First 2 months were a free trial then I entered a 12 month min contract .
    This expires on the 14th of December 2005.
    This isn't quite true, at least in my case. They said the 12 month contract began from the two free months so you have only ten paid months after it and then you're free. I also thought 12 months must be paid but they said no, it's total time and 2 free months included. I was waiting till December too but it turns out I could say adieu in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

have had a couple of hickups with bt. first lost my order and then sending notice of termination letters for their accounts dept fecking up and not realising i was paying by direct debit. Other than that i've had no problem with the service or their tech support when i've rang, but their accounts dept is amazingly incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

hey does anybody know the contact number for esatbt broadband division?
    Thanks Joseph

This is what it says on the form Eircom sent me
    'Customers who do not wish to retain the service after the 2 month free trial period must contact Eircom to opt out before the end of the trial.
    Otherwise the customer will be automatically signed up to a 12 month minimum contract period commencing 2 calendar months after completion of the order.
    I understand that to be 14 months total.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

well have now completed the move, no downtime, done in good time and from a user perspective would not know the difference whilst on the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 seanpd

I would recommend BT. I am using them for over a year and haven't had any downtime. The only thing you have to worry about with BT is when you have to call customer service, you will be waiting ages on hold. I always dread when I have to call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Still haven't moved to BT. I'll be moving from UTV Clicksilver. I will want the talk option that will allow free local/national calls and their cheapest broadband. What will this be per month and do I just ring BT and get them to sort it out? How do BT compare to NTL? I'm in Bray, is NTL available in Bray and what's so special about it? If I was with NTL, who would take care of phone calls? thanks:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

slave1 wrote:
    well have now completed the move, no downtime, done in good time and from a user perspective would not know the difference whilst on the net

unfortunately your bank account may notice a differnece watch it carefully - BT should carry a Government wealth warning!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

Advertisement