Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

05-06 winter weather indications (part 3)

Options
  • 06-12-2005 12:02am

Off ye go - post all your thoughts on whatever trend you want to highlight in advance of it happening in the winter season here.

As per the charter-no new threads on potential severe weather unless it's merited-otherwise the new threads will be merged into this one which is a waste of time and effort for the mod and the poster

This thread will remain a sticky and is likely to be replaced by a part 2 thread , a part 3 thread etc depending on how long or unwieldy it gets.

I'd rather not see each part longer than 3 or 4 pages-so thats the rule of thumb.
    For continuity purposes, if you as a poster can remember that guideline,then at page 3 or 4, you can start a new one with the same title and I will lock & unsticky this one and sticky the new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Unfortunately there seems to be no sight of cold weather except in the weather charts many days away. It will get warmer before it gets colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yup, a euro high looks like setting up over the weekend steering up warm(er) southerlies, after that though is anyones guess - I feel that the high could be shifted over to Norway where the infamous scandi blocking high begin to setup.

Lots of very cold air pooling over E Poland at the mo - a nice E wind could steer it over here...

Yeah, its getting lovely and cold over Europe especially Russia now-its all snow covered in the last week or so which will aid the cooling and ultimately provide the fridge for any Easterly sent our way.

Here is the current snow map of the world and its now very impressive.
    Scandi is snow covered too-also a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

All the cars around here have white bonets and white rooves (or is it roofs) but it doesnt feel cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Earthman wrote:

Here is the current snow map of the world and its now very impressive.
    Scandi is snow covered too-also a good sign.

Excellent map, thanks.

• Advertisement

http://217.160.75.104/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

Dublin ensemble from this morning.
    Though the latter half of it is in whats called fantasy island and also remembering that forecasting weather more than 5 days out is fantasy island.
    The GFS weather model is struggling to find anything cold enough for snow in Dublin in the run up to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hi all -

Firstly i'd like to apologise for my behaviour prior to my ban and thank the admins for their leinancy - It would like to apologise personally to Earthman who i lost the plot with over my poor forecasts!

Onward and upward the outlook for the coming 2 weeks is pretty, well to be honest it looks pretty dire. Mild cloudy dull drizzly days for much of the country for a 5 or 6 day period from Friday. There is some small signals that high pressure over us will ridge into the atlantic and attempt to ridge north from around December 15th with the potential for a northerly plunge sometime after then.

Last year i correctly predicted a white Christmas around 16 days before Christmas. Back in December 04' there were much better indications of the onset of a cold spell during Christmas and infact the intensity of the spell was wittled down right before the event. This year the signs arent all bad but certainly aren;t anything to get excited about. The likely outcome is for cooler weather around thie period with High Pressure sitting close to the west of Ireland but with potential for a blast of artic air.

Anyway i'll keep you posted and i'll issue my thoughts concerning a white Chritmas ever few days for your viewing pleasure!

- Oh and during the Northerly which i missed on here i amazingly woke up to a nioce dusting of snow!
    Well i didnt wake up as i was awake all night and was up for the 10 minute snow shower that gave use the dusting! It was wuite heavy for a time with massive flakes floating in!
    A great start to the season, just a pity the shower managed to arrive at one of the worst parts of the night, 4am!

Danno wrote:
    Welcome back WC! :D

Unusually downbeat prediction for Christmas from you! :D

Thanks Danno !:D

I hope i last through the next cold spell/snap! :D

But the present outlook is about as bad as ya can get so its all up from here!

heh
    Dont dispair.
    Best and longest cold snaps I've experienced were in january and february-In fact I think the only ice days that I've experienced in Ireland were in those months with the exception of a few years ago when we had some Ice days over Xmas.

Historically one of the biggest snowfalls was in early march 1947

I didnt experience that one :D

Oh and lets hope it comes from the East when it does come-A northerly is pathetic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah December so far is looking pretty rubbish, lets hope things really get going after christmas:)

One of the heaviest snowfalls I can remember I think was actually in the first or 2nd week of April in the late eighties, I remember waking up to about 8 inchs of snow then a rapid thaw set in that day, only had about 3 inchs left by the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote:
    Oh no Earthman, diving NW Polar Lows are just fine here in Laois, just fine, don't go jinxing it now! :D:D:D

Nah, they'll only give you a few inches, thats nothing.
    Plus anything that comes in off the Atlantic means, theres an open door for the mild weather to come back too soon to take it away.

The Easterly is and always was the Boss when it comes to Real cold weather.
    Mix it with a cold vs mild battle like january 1982 and you get 20ft drifts , Roads blocked and airlifts to the isolated people on high ground.
    A north west wind is childs play in comparison and has never in my lifetime delivered anything like that anywhere on this island*

*Note, while its hard to believe, you'd soon get sick of that when you start running out of fresh milk and food which is what happened after a week in january 1982 because road and rail traffic was impossible

Very quiet on here....

Basically at the mo the weather looks like turning cold from December 18th for a periods of 5 or more days, so the liklyhood of a white Christmas is increased as against average.

A northerly flow is set to become established due to atlantic blocking but as the block collapses a link up with a developing SCANDY high looks likely leading to a chilly easterly around Xmas.

More later:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looks like an average week ahead with the possibility of some hard frosts, dry though.

Some major developments tonight on the weather front.

GFS backed by UKMO and somewhat backed by ECM all go for quite an
    intense northerly plunge from next Saturday for a 4-5 days period giving
    widespread snowy conditions.

The ENS's show a 50/50 split in the scenario, if it doesnt occur there is still a massive liklyhood of a severe cold plunge around XMAS.

But for ramping sake this evening operational GFS was going for widepread snow and then a 3-4 day northerly with temps of 1-3c ;) and minima of -4c with a gale force deeply unsettled northerly airstream:D

I came on here to warn everybody, that todays runs were likely to have wc on here ramping like blazes.
    I guess I was late :D

Softly softly though.
    The ingredients are there to provide what yez want but they have to come together first in the way that the models reckon they will...
    Last january,the models were thinking of dropping their knickers too but pulled out as they werent drunk enough untill february to put on the show :D and most people only got an inch or two (if even that) before wet cold muck replaced it.
    Hardly very exciting.

That said the high pressure is building and blocking in the Atlantic a lot sooner this time round keeping the temperate zonal out.
    I'd give this a 3 out of 10 for excitement for now rising to 4.5 out of 10 if the 18z says pretty much what the 12 z has said.
    Come wenesday or thursday of next week if, its all still in place-then its time to get excited.
    Could be all mild again by Xmas though.

I would rather we skimped on the light Northerlies for some heavy-duty Easterly at Xmas:D

I can see the faint chance of this possible LP descending further into Europe and the Med region, which could really drag the Siberian High into our neck of the woods. That's a real long shot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Are you guys wanting Snow?

Hell Yeah! Or at least I do anyway....

Ooooh theres a bit of a shiver about some of the 12z's
    Still only Fantasy island but only just

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn1621.png

and

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn1681.png

are great charts.

I'd be a Tad concerned though as I was never a believer in Snow too early, but I have seen snow on the ground here(a couple of inches) in the run up to Xmas before and gone by Xmas-so it has happened before, meaning it can happen again.
    Will it be cold enough though....
    Over to the chief ramper :D(and his little elves)

Earthman wrote:
    Will it be cold enough though....
    Probably not though the hills might be.

• Advertisement

Yep just wanted to draw peoples attention to the wetterzentrale ensembles for Dublin. The data point is wrong and they seem to choose a datpoint
    nearer Kerry than Dublin.

I always find these charts much more accurate

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/profi/en/ensdia/ensdia_euro.html

If you look at the wetterzentrale GFS charts you will notice that the
    above link show a much better representation of the data:)

The outlook is extremely interesting and the furthest east you are the better.

The 12z ensembles show this weekends 2-3 day cold snap but there is also a large number
    of members continuing the cold theme for a prolonged period :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Earthman wrote:
    Ooooh theres a bit of a shiver about some of the 12z's
    Still only Fantasy island but only just

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn1621.png

and

http://217.160.75.104/wz/pics/Rtavn1681.png

are great charts.
    They are also 500hPa :) Here's the 850 for Monday 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, theres such a large amount of noise this far ahead it's hard to really lean one way or another imho.

There is definately a possibility of a couple of days at least of a cold snap..but then it could be the usual 00's mild muck we have gotten used to recently.

Fascinating charts, still all to play for, its more eyebrow raised than jumping in the air time!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

RTE have just forecasted a very cold but dry weekend, perhaps they are playing it safely after the trouble they got into with their snow warnings for Donegal during the last cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The charts are all over the place at the moment, confidance is very low imho as to anything bar it will be colder than today at the weekend..forecasts of snow etc are not likely till late tomorrow imho (if at all)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

terrible runs at the minute, any possible cold outbreak wont arrive until after christmas at the very earliest

its looking like mild wet muck for the next 2 weeks with temperature well up into double figures around Christmas (10c-13c) with alot of rain (metcheck) and a hint perhaps of colder and dryer weather after that. not good at all. One very dissapointing December overall (unless things suddenly change towards New Years)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

So looks like there won't be any white xmas?

Very unlikely I would say.

All eyes in the 10 weeks after Xmas then to Scandinavia and see if a big high pressure builds there to bring in an Easterly.
    It would want to be strong and long lasting to bring a sustained (more than a week) flow from a cold Eastern Europe air mass to be any good for snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Gonzo wrote:
    its looking like mild wet muck for the next 2 weeks with temperature well up into double figures around Christmas (10c-13c) with alot of rain (metcheck) and a hint perhaps of colder and dryer weather after that. not good at all. One very dissapointing December overall (unless things suddenly change towards New Years)

Not sure about mild muck for Xmas . There's a good chance that we'll have High Pressure sitting over us around Christmas . That could bring us mild muck but it's as likely to bring chilly weather with frost at night . I'd settle for that .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement