Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a car!!

Options
  • 06-12-2005 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

im gonna be getting a new car soon, my choices are:

VW Golf/Polo
    Opel Corsa
    Toyota Corolla
    Mitsubishi Colt

take into account that i travel up to 200 miles a week.
    i have had my car 4 months and put 20000 miles on it!!
    so maybe a diesel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Personally I'd go for a Corolla diesel if I was you, you'll have no problems there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Golf diesels are great. the fourth version has very nice performance if you get the 115bhp or 130bhp engine (if you want more get an ecu chip for a gain of 20 bhp). A good solid car. I found it quite comfy toom Comfort line model. I drove one for a while that we had in back off a contrract and put up about 150 miles per day on it with ease. I have some experience of these cars from working in fleet management and i havnt seen many problems with them and beleive me, you really see if a car is prone to problems when you monitor its servicing on o 3 year 90,000 mile contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Con 316, I can't say I'd agree with you there regarding VW's, I'm also in the fleet management business and alot of the companies I deal with have pulled the plug on VW/Audi over reliability issues, they simply don't want to know about them when it comes to replacing their fleet. I find it supprising you've had no problems. As I discussed on an other thread earlier the diesel engines are not a problem its build quality and electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Misticles wrote:

VW Golf/Polo
    Opel Corsa
    Toyota Corolla
    Mitsubishi Colt

so maybe a diesel.

To be honest 200 miles a week is not huge mileage.

The Corolla is available in 1.4 90bhp diesel which is almost as fast as the petrol. Mpg is very good also and I have heard of people getting 1,000 km from a tank of diesel which ain't bad either. Down side is that it costs about €2k more than the 1.4 petrol version new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gla

VW Golf/Polo
    Opel Corsa
    Toyota Corolla
    Mitsubishi Colt

Hi Misticles.The Corolla would be my choice. They are very reliable and have good mpg. They also hold their value well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Golf TD red I ... mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

How much do you have to spend?
    The golf will be 3 times more expensive than the corsa.
    The Corrolla will be same as Polo few grand cheaper than Golf.
    The Colt is a good car as well and few going around for good prices.

Go for the Diesel. Since your doing such high milage don't get a dear car because the miles will just devaluate it to much.
    You should be looking at the Peugeot/Citreon 1.9 T-Diesel engine as well. Great engine and the Zsara would be my favourite if in with your choices and there coming around now for good money.
    I'd say go a bit bigger for the comfort of it. Maybe a 3 door Almeara. Micra is a great car as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cardude

Misticles wrote:

VW Golf/Polo
    Opel Corsa
    Toyota Corolla
    Mitsubishi Colt

so maybe a diesel.

I think you need to clarify your figures there. 200miles a week is 3200 miles in 4 months???

As regards the car, you havent given a budget but I would suggest that you look at the newer 1.4 diesel variants - Ford, Skoda etc as you seem to be looking at a smallish car with low cc's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

How about a Peugeot 206 2.0Hdi - a friend of mine has just sold hers, and it was a great car - she sold as she's emmigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Misticles wrote:

VW Golf/Polo
    Opel Corsa
    Toyota Corolla
    Mitsubishi Colt

so maybe a diesel.

Avoid Mitsubishi, Ford, Hyundai, Volvo, Citroen - all shown to be up to their necks in price fixing [proof shown from 2 year old documents on Prime Time Investigates last night].

But hey they don't do that now do they? I mean the competition is cut throat according to Cyril Hughes of SIMI. So why are prices remarkably similiar among all dealers then?

Ring around for a cash price and see what the difference is among dealers to see what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TE0N

Skoda Fabia VRS

Skoda always finish high on reliability and customer satisfaction surveys. With this car you get 55mpg and "must be seen to be beleived" performance.

Quote the topgear webby "its torque and flexibility will push it into the same ballpark and maybe even allow it to beat a Ford Focus RS or Civic Type-R from 30-50mph in third gear"

Top Gear

Downside, bit expensive for a small car.

That said its stiill an excellent car IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

I'd be interested to know when it was that you experienced these electrical problems with the vw/audi cars?
    There were electrical and problems with the passat, golf and bora mainly, from 98 to 2000, after that the problems (which were mainly to do with indicators, electric windows and track rod ends), were reduced to almost nothing on the fleets i was involved with.
    The 05 golf has had build quality issue and other issues but i was referring to the 4th generstion golf.
    Many problems later on in the vw/ audi cars life, as in after about 60,000 miles has been largely due to incompetance and half assed "cheapskate" servicing in some garages , which i wont name for fear of being sued.

Advertisement