Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Webpages

• 06-12-2005 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

My mate can is using a router and can not view webapges using internet Explorer or Firefox, i was thinking of assiging the DSN, but he can ping URL's and IP address. We have checked his anti-virus and run ad-aware and nothing shows up:confused:

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

My mate is using a router and can not view webpages using internet explorer or firefox. I thought of trying to assign the DNS address but he can ping URL'S and IP address so it won't work. We have checked his firewall AVG and run ad-ware and nothing found:confused:

Any ideas on might it could be?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I thought of trying to assign the DNS address but he can ping URL'S and IP address so it won't work.
    Is that what you intended?

Yeh, but if you can ping URL'S and IP address's then assigning the DSN address's wont work will it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

maybe the proxy settings are wrong

No, i checked and the proxy's settings are off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hokay.

When you say "Cannot view" what error does he get? When you put the IP address of a site in the address bar, does the page show up?

Have you rebooted the machine?

Pinging URL's doesn't necessarily mean that DNS is ok. The resolver caches DNS requests.

When i put the IP address in IE it comes back "page can not be displayed"....I tried assigning the DNS to prove to you it wouldn't work and it didn't.

Any other idea's

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

If its a wireless router that you are using, it is most likely the wrong WEP key that you are using. It will allow you connect to the router, but wont allow you send or receive information via the router.

No he doesn't have it setup through wireless connection. I was going to delete the winsock file in IE, but it doesn't work with firefox either. I going to run msconfig later and see what happens.

When you get "The page cannot be displayed", scroll to the end of that page, and you get more detailsed information on why the page can't be displayed, e.g.
    Technical Information (for support personnel)
    Error Code 11001: Host not found
    Background: This error indicates that the gateway could not find the IP address of the website you are trying to access. This is usually due to a DNS-related error.
    Date: 06/12/2005 13:01:25
    Server: <servername>
    Source: DNS error
    Paste it up here.

Then try get an IP address (e.g. of boards.ie) and run a tracert. So go to Start, then Run... and type "cmd" and hit return. In the command prompt type "tracert <ip address>". Paste the results of that up here.

What Broadband provider is he using?

• Advertisement

He is using Eircom broadband and so am i and we live across the road from each other so if there was a problem then i would have it as well i would have thought.

What exactly are you looking for by doing a trace.

He is donig now, i will post up shortly

I'm basically trying to eliminate everything.

Troubleshooting networking issues generally lets you follow a line of enquiry if you start at the basics.

Does he an IP address? Yes.
    Can he ping the gateway? Yes.

Now we know that there's nothing wrong with the network card and the router, internally. Since DNS is resolving (or so you say), yet he can't access webpages, then it's reasonable to assume that he's simply not making a connection to the hosts. So you do a tracert to see if (a) his packets are leaving his home network and (b) if so, are they getting as far as the host?

Seamus,

I did that trace root, but i can't upload the file on boards it wont let me. Anyway i noticed it came back with at least 10 reques timed out. I checked in his add/remov programs and his brother had downloaded a second firewall, which we didn't know, so when i removed this and restarted the computer.... Bobs your uncle as they say,

thanks seamus, it was annoying me

Advertisement