Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Need A Job!!!

Options
  • 06-12-2005 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Righto, I need a job, and i've been looking for a month. Every one of my friends seem to happen to get jobs through knowing people or just plain luck (one friend got offered a job when a guy she hitch-hiked into town with saw she was carrying CV's!!!).

So I need ye boardsies advice about getting a job in galway. What I'm saying, to take it to the ghetto, is y'all got the hookup fashizzle bizzle?

So far this week I have tried: The new subway off shop st, four star pizza, statoil college road, a shop in merlin hospital, lynx transport, scotty's bar & grill, dunnes stores terryland, dunnes stores eyre square, the Kings Head and the shop across from the red square.

Let me just mention that ALL of these places are looking for staff. I got one callback from Lynx and that turned out to be so far out of my way that I'd have no transport there and back.

One of the problems is I'm not 18. When I turn 18 (that's wednesday) at least I can work past 11pm, which to be honest is my preffered working hours. I'm starting to learn that CV's don't work but would I not piss people off asking for the manager when it says in the paper "apply in writing to:...".

So, any help welcome, i.e. places looking for staff, tips, hookups, brown envelope deals etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

At least you say you need a job, not want a job.

Apply everywhere. Start in Eyre Square, and work your way around it. Go into every shop, pub, hotel, etc you see. Not just the ones that are advertising. Don't just go to the places that have cushy numbers, like xtra vision. Everywhere.

I do have a cushy number though. It really helps in the lower paid jobs that you speak english. Try kitchens in pubs. THey're sweet - finished by six, staff pints, and guest list to clubs in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You can have mine if you want. Low wages, terrible management, crappy hours, and periodical urges to gouge your brain out with a spoon to kill the boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sarky wrote:
    You can have mine if you want. Low wages, terrible management, crappy hours, and periodical urges to gouge your brain out with a spoon to kill the boredom.

I didn't realise things were so bad at the car wash.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Man, I'd love to work at a car wash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Sarky... I will take your job... at the car wash baby, ooo-hoo.

I got a call back from statoil and have an interview on thursday, hooray diddly day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Have you tried all the "fun" factories, like Boston, Medtronic and the likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bodykits

There are lots of establishment in and around the corner of the streets. try to walk in you may bump to your luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

the skeff is looking for bar staff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

get a job in Clan!

god knows you could use the time to brush up on your cod2 skills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Dunnes in Terryland should take you on. There crying out for staff.I worked there last month for 3 weeks. They took nearly a month to get back to me after I left in my application. You should definitely get a job there cos when I was leaving alot of the other students were leaving because of the mad hours and exams. One fellow had to work 42 hours in one week and he was doing engineering in college, which is about 30 hours itself. anyway just e patient and they will probably ring you.

Also I seen a notice up looking for staff in the Statoil across from the Travel Lodge yesterday. Might be worth trying.

• Advertisement

DRakE wrote:
    get a job in Clan!

god knows you could use the time to brush up on your cod2 skills ;)

Hey! :D yeah fine I know I sure do suck at call of duty. I perform well in deathmatches but in the other things everyone is always hiding in the bushes and 90% of the time I get killed I have absolutely no idea where it's coming from!

I'd love to get a job in clan actually... Didn't know you were there last night, were you in the small room or the big room?

By a matter of coincidence, Dunnes Terryland just rang me back. I have 2 interviews tomorrow, statoil and dunnes -- I'm guessing statoil is the nicer of the two so I'll have to wait and see...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

go dunnes! my housemate was working there up to exams, alongside j22 i would imagine. They seem to take lot of people on, good luck with the interview!
    if not, try argos, they are crazy around christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Most retail places try not to take on new staff too close to christmass unless its absolutly necessary as its they're busiest period and don't have time to train and monitor newbies. But Tesco and dunnes are always on the look out and if staff have recently left they maybe desperate.

Just go to customer care desk with CV and ask, might have to fill in application form so bring a pen. Also no matter how **** the job you generally have to have an interview and you should do a mock one just to have some idea as to what to expect.

Timeout

So if I have the choice of Dunnes or Statoil I should pick...?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

j22 wrote:
    Dunnes in Terryland should take you on. There crying out for staff.I worked there last month for 3 weeks. They took nearly a month to get back to me after I left in my application. You should definitely get a job there cos when I was leaving alot of the other students were leaving because of the mad hours and exams. One fellow had to work 42 hours in one week and he was doing engineering in college, which is about 30 hours itself. anyway just e patient and they will probably ring you.

Also I seen a notice up looking for staff in the Statoil across from the Travel Lodge yesterday. Might be worth trying.

If you have left a CV in terryland im very surprised they didnt ring ya! Same as above I worked there couldn't cope with the hours, in fact that could be me j22 is talking about but probably not. Are you looking for a full time job or are you in college? Its a decent place to work but the hours can be long if your in college!!

Had an interview with Terryland today - i talked a lotta bull (i.e. it went well). It's only part time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Wait until you are 18, then go to the king's head. Then I could scream at you to give me tea... and possibly a muffin.

Alternatively, you could become a gigolo... flexible hours, good pay, but sometimes a "pain in the ass" hohoho... i am so funny!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So grasshopa, did you manage to find employment?

I'm waiting on two people who said they'd call me yesterday. In the event of that failing... I'm trying the every-shop-in-town approach

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

grasshopa wrote:
    Hey! :D yeah fine I know I sure do suck at call of duty. I perform well in deathmatches but in the other things everyone is always hiding in the bushes and 90% of the time I get killed I have absolutely no idea where it's coming from!

I'd love to get a job in clan actually... Didn't know you were there last night, were you in the small room or the big room?

By a matter of coincidence, Dunnes Terryland just rang me back. I have 2 interviews tomorrow, statoil and dunnes -- I'm guessing statoil is the nicer of the two so I'll have to wait and see...
    yep i was there, i can't remember which name i was using. tend to use a lot of different names in there. was in the small room :)

possibilities include: jonny murder, bobby buckshot, ronnie rifle, xlan, amazingplayer to name but a few ;D

• Advertisement

Cool I was also in the small room, number 4 or 5 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Ahhhhhhh..... CLAN talk!!!!

*Hsssss* Does not compute! I'm melting..... *BORK BORK* What a world, what a world, what a.... *Gloop*

Dunnes sent me a rejection letter today... come onnnnnn!!!

Makes me think one of my references is bad mouthing me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A Dunnes reject?
    That's newsworthy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You should get back to Dunnes and ask for some more feedback as to why you didnt get it........

I know, I'm rather embarrassed of the whole thing...
    Now I'm almost sure one of my references is bad-mouthing me....

I think I will go back and ask

Advertisement