Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Any courses/classes that teach DJing?

• 06-12-2005 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

I've always been interested in learning to DJing. My collection has gotten pretty big in recent years and I've started picking stuff up on vinyl as well. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to start?

I think I've got a fairly good idea of how to appease the masses and sneaking in some more alternative stuff in between but there are alot of gaps in my technical knowlege. I'd like to have an edge over the all the DJ's in my town that use CD's or pick stuff off a touchscreen. Not that the typical drunk person will notice but I'd love to be able to learn to mix properly. I'm always amazed by how the likes of Diplo can mix stuff from every genre of music into the same set and still have it sound organic.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Contact Star DJs 01 4604106, they do DJ training courses. If not they can point you in the general direction. Ask for Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Contact Star DJs 01 4604106, they do DJ training courses. If not they can point you in the general direction. Ask for Alan.

avoid them like the plague, seriously. it isnt really something that can be taught anyway... what kind of stuff were you thinking of playing? were you thinking of playing mainly vinyl? or cd's as well? there are plenty of laptop mp3 mixing programs out there that can sequence and mix tunes on the fly, many of them allow you to do far more intersting stuff than that as well, the point is, it takes dedication, practice, and the right attitude to get to the stage where you're any good. the first few months will be the hardest [i learnt to mix vinyl on an absolutely terrible, proper ghetto setup] then one day it will just click. the better the equipment you invest in [record player wise] the easier you make it for yourself, by and large.

dj-ing is about more than anybody can teach you in the space of an hour or two in an evening class.... if you have mates who mix you're far better off going around to theirs and having a wee chat about whats best for you. i recommend you check out the dance / electronic board on this site, there's lots of interesting threads on equipment recommendations and the pros and cons of software based mixing etc. [pros: you don't have to wreck your back carrying vinyl about - cons: you can't roll a spliff on an mp3]

€00.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

99% of my music is on mp3. Just thought a little vinyl might be cool to do as well.

Was thinking of playing rock/indie and hiphop. Like a certain amount of dance and electronica but I wouldn't like the 'progressive' house that all the DJ's in my area play.

I suppose I'll keep faffing around myself and fiddle with some of the programs available. Problem is I don't have any DJ friends. Co. Clare hasn't the best music scene tbh (although the trad is excellent).

Advertisement