Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arrested Development -- I don't get it.

• 06-12-2005 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to explain what makes this show so great? It seems to be the latest and greatest elitist comedy going (the feeling I get from fans is that to not 'understand' the humour is your own dumb fault).

is it something you have to watch from the beginning? To me each episode seems like its rushing to go somewhere with that annoying "last time on.."-esque voice over.. but it never seems to get anywhere at all and in the three or four episodes I've seen I still don't have much of a notion as to whats going on or why.

Definitly not the only "good comedy on t.v at the moment" imo. Seems to me to be a case of cult popularity due to being an anyway original American network comedy, but to be honest, I've seen better from both sides of the pond.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Goodshape wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    You're wrong! :D

You can't just tune in for an episode of 'Arrested Development' and expect to laugh wholeheartedly for 20 minutes - some of the best jokes in it are running jokes.

You should really watch the show from the start - not just a couple of episodes here and there as Arrested Development really does enjoy referencing past moments / jokes!

And in my opinion, the fantastic performances from all involved in the show also play a big part in the appeal of the show.

What also makes Arrested Development funny are the little in-jokes which i've mentioned and also the cultural references (see 'Star Wars Kid' scene for example)

Arrested Development is probably the best comedy on air in the US at the moment. And maybe i just don't "get" Curb Your Enthusiasm. But the hilarious and often surreal antics of the Bluth Family win over Larry David or any other US comedy at the moment.

But each to their own....

Just my 2c!

PS - quick note that i didn't like Arrested Development at first - took me a solid 3 - 4 episodes til i realised what a fantastic show it is!

PPS - expecting at least Boo-yah, YeatsCounty, tvnutz and ixoy to back me up here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well I found a lot of boards members raving about it, Basquille there in particular, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I watched one episode and really didn't see the appeal at all... but since then I've watched many episodes and I just love it. I've just now watched 3 episodes in a row and I laughed out loud consistantly throughout... haha... Franklin is great...

So I guess it really is an aquired taste... but you really should have aquired it by now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Goodshape wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    basquille wrote:
    PPS - expecting at least Boo-yah, YeatsCounty, tvnutz and ixoy to back me up here!
    Goodshape - you're wrong and basquille - you're right :D

To be honest, I liked the show almost from the get-go. It appealed to my sense of humour as we watched a bunch of egotists, elitists, and morons and others all get into different escapades. Its structure - where 2-3 plots dovetail towards the end - is somewhat reminescenet of the formula employed successfully in "Seinfeld" and its excellent followup CYE, but AD's is more zany, if you will. Additionally, the others are far more episodic - as basquille says, to really appreciate it and get all the layers, you need to watch a few episodes which may lead people to think its being elitist when it just requires a bit of investment (greater laughs than the cheap ones you get in the average sit-com).

A key to its success is, yup, the characters and the great acting behind them. Sure, they're dysfunctional and that's not new, but the actors breathe life into them. The docu-drama single-camera style is still fairly underused (yep, I know, CYE uses it too and I like that show also) but it's embellished by a wonderfully sarky narrator who takes on his own life, and peppered with the sort of highly-amusing flashbacks that only "Family Guy" has achieved in recent years.

I think part of the reason it hasn't always done so well is that it takes a bit of time (it's worth the investment). I know plenty of people who watched 1 or 2 episodes and didn't think much of it. I told them to try a couple more and, lo and behold, they generally end up watching the entire season in about a week.

It's criminal that it's cancelled. I'm going to be almost nervous about watching my cousin's tape tomorrow knowing it's in limited supply (and FYI, I pre-order the DVDs so I *am* supporting the show). But seriously the best show probably of the last five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

basquille wrote:
    You should really watch the show from the start - not just a couple of episodes here and there
    I thought that might be the case. Annoying though. Guess I'll just wait untill I can get hold of the full set.
    And maybe i just don't "get" Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Curb Your Enthusiasm I like. Great show.
    Well I found a lot of boards members raving about it
    As have I, which is why I'm wondering what the fuss is about -- usually good enough taste around these parts.
    So I guess it really is an aquired taste... but you really should have aquired it by now.
    I've only seen a few of them as I said. Haven't given up yet -- but that voice over really does annoy me.

Actually, the biggest laugh I got was on an episode I saw the other night (think it was the last in the series or something).. the narrator is talking about some fictional T.V. show and says that they used heavy narration to mask the fact that the acting and story were both useless.. exactly what I was beginning to think about AD, only that the charactors do seem interesting if only you'd be given a half second to enjoy them before jumping to the next zaney happening.

Bottom line - I'll give it another shot. But so far it's just another (albeit sudo-sureal) annoying american sitcom.

Goodshape wrote:
    Actually, the biggest laugh I got was on an episode I saw the other night (think it was the last in the series or something).. the narrator is talking about some fictional T.V. show and says that they used heavy narration to mask the fact that the acting and story were both useless.. exactly what I was beginning to think about AD, only that the charactors do seem interesting if only you'd be given a half second to enjoy them before jumping to the next zaney happening.
    That sorta moment is exactly what makes AD so damn watchable!

Just watch them rip the piss outta themselves and Fox regularly!

One example of ripping on Fox is nearing the end series 2, the creators got the news Fox would be cutting the season from 22 episodes to 19 episodes. Cue a scene with Michael on the phone in his office disputing over a cut in a "contract" from 22 to 18 houses.... GENIUS! :D

Can't wait til the next episode ("Prison Break-In" - gotta love that title too) which is apparently the first episode after Fox cut down the third season.

Let the Fox-bashing commence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is it worth getting series one of this on dvd ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Tusky wrote:
    Most definately. I'm a bigger fan of Season 2 myself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Yep I'll back you up on that one. Brilliant show...best comedy in quite some time.

I do also love Curb Your Enthusiasm as well though :)

Most definately. I'm a bigger fan of Season 2 myself tbh.
    And i thought i was the only one....! :D
    Tusky wrote:
    And yes... definantly!

Both the first two series (available on DVD) are excellent - though the recent series (although still very good) is not a patch on the previous two in my opinion.

But that's probably due to one Charlize Theron! :mad:

I've got to agree with basquille, ioxy, tvnutz and monkeyfudge. Arrested Development is a fantastic comedy, one of the couple of things that I actually watch on Tv at the moment (bear in mind I'm not in Ireland anymore....). It definately is best if you watch it from the beginning, but it's not completely necessary to do so. The first full episode was the first episode of Season 2. I didn't fully understand all that was going on, but I knew that this was a show to keep watching.

I love the quirky humour of it, how they reference various scenes and lines from previous episodes. How they parody current events ("Mission Accomplished"). The characters are excellently written. The scripts are superb. The little sight gags that occur every so often make me smile. I'm just a massive fan of it, but I can see how you wouldn't like it. It's not to everybody's tastes. Just give it another chance with a few episodes before you make up your mind for good.

Oh, and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is another one of my favourite shows. :D
    basquille wrote:
    And i thought i was the only one....! :D

Both the first two series (available on DVD) are excellent - though the recent series (although still very good) is not a patch on the previous two in my opinion.

But that's probably due to one Charlize Theron! :mad:
    Haha, I do like Season 1 but I'm a much bigger fan of Season 2 alright. :) I actually think that the current season would be eveb better than season 2 if it wasn't for the whole "For British Eyes only" crap-fest of the last few episodes. I don't blame Charlize Theron for that. I actually blame the writers.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Arrested Development is the best show on t.v. There are more laughs in 20 minutes of this show than 99.9% of comedies have in a whole season. A comedy like this doesn't come along very often.

If you're going to start watching it I highly recommend you watch season 1 first and then season 2 and 3. The show constantly references previous epidodes so you may be lost if you don't watch it from the start. Season 1 is also the best season so far in my opinion (that's not to say seasons 2 and 3 aren't up to season 1's standard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Ive only ever seen two shows in my life where iv laughed Non stop And Arrested development is one of them. There is some seriously brilliant acting in it aswell!!!Tobias dressed up as the nanny-Brilliant!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

To me each episode seems like its rushing to go somewhere with that annoying "last time on.."-esque voice over.. but it never seems to get anywhere at all

I don't watch this show in sequence, I always for get its on. As far as I know that's part of the show but not part of the series if you get me.

Last time on .... didn't happen in the last episode
    and In the Next Episode of ..... it won't happen.

I could be wrong about that.

I do think it is a laugh out loud comedy, It witty and different. It's surreal IMO, which makes it stange and cring worthy and funny.

It's like Seinfeld. I never got that show during its orginal run. I hated and didn't get what American's where talking about. I felt it was "American" humour.

Now I will agree that it is "american" humour (humor, if you like) it is surreally funny. (They are all Insane in that show).

Larry on Curb Your Enthusiam is the same he is strange. I always think in some ways that show is like One Foot In The Grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Tobias dressed up as the nanny-Brilliant!!!!

I was just about to mention that! lol That was hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tobias is always brilliant - him and Job are the best characters. and Franklin of course.

Elmo wrote:

Larry on Curb Your Enthusiam is the same he is strange. I always think in some ways that show is like One Foot In The Grave.
    Well, whenever a previous episode is referenced, they ususlly do it properly i.e.: they use flashbacks from that episode, stick to the story and don't make things up.
    However, the "Next Time on....." segment, while we rarely get to see these scenes (or related scenes) played out in the next episode (apart from a couple of occasions), they do form part of the shows plot and continuity.

Larry David does seem like a Victor Meldrew-esque character. He certainly has the same trouble filled life anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Goodshape: You've made a huge mistake.

When I was getting into it first I alway thought it was funnier after a beer or two. But then again, what isn't.

Elmo wrote:
    I don't watch this show in sequence, I always for get its on. As far as I know that's part of the show but not part of the series if you get me.

Not really what I meant.

The voice-over runs for the length of the show and sounds like a 'last time on' piece... "and then he did this.. while this was going on over here... but he didn't know that and went over there instead".. the whole way though it I'm wishing he would shut up and let me actually watch whats happening NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've never seen it, but I absolutely love Curb your Enthusiasm, and this was recommended to me.

Apparently though like Curb, you can't walk in half way through an episode and expect to start laughing.

The voice-over runs for

Is it the same voice-over from the Wonder Years?

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    Sounds like it. Although it's used a lot more in AD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

I do get "Arrested Development" and find it very funny (except for the voiceover which i think is unnecessary and it sort of puts me off) .

I loved the "Bring-your-kid-to-work Day" one.

However i'm not a commited fan and while i enjoy it when i catch it, I never found myself as hooked as with "Curb your Enthusiasm". The cringe factor takes it to another level completely...more so than the Office for uncomfortable comic value.

Rating it against other i'd put it in this position.

Curb, Seinfeld, The Office, Royal Family, Jam, I'm Alan Partridge, Spaced, Father Ted, Sanders, Family Guy, Arrested Development, Black Books, Green Wing........Terry and June :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Elmo wrote:
    It's actually Ron Howard who does the voice over.

Elmo wrote:
    Actually... didn't Daniel Stern do the voiceover for The Wonder Years? I remember hearing that at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I watched a few episodes of it and I would say I got at most, one laugh out of every episode, so I gave up. I really dont see the draw to it at all. but again each to their own

It's actually Ron Howard who does the voice over.

No Way. Cunningham has come along way. and with all the movies he directs!
    Curb, Seinfeld, The Office, Royal Family, Jam, I'm Alan Partridge, Spaced, Father Ted, Sanders, Family Guy, Arrested Development, Black Books, Green Wing........Terry and June

What about Paths to Freedom and Kath and Kim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Thats why ron howard is credited on the dvd synopsis.And its not wonder years guy because i remember that voice almost perfectly and its very different than howards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Hey guys,

Just found this thread, I'm a big fan of Arrested development. I bought the DVD after seeing one episode and loved the first series. Everyone I know loves it too, I'm waiting till christmas to see if i get the second series under the tree before i go out and buy it.

AD is genius in my opinion, super writing and acting. I like CYE but im not as into it, cringe of that kind stirs emotions in me that prevent me from watchinng more than one episode at a time. Each character in AD is briliantly thought out, and I have a different favorite after each episode. I dont watch it on tv though, cant keep up with it.

Good to see others talking about it. enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Best show on TV at the moment. Rivals seinfeld in overall hillarity.
    It's terrible that it got cancelled.

• Advertisement

I've been pimping it to everyone I've met over here who hasn't seen it, which is a shockingly high percentage tbh.

Got to spread the word! That word being "pimping". :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yeah, I forced my frineds to watch it and they love it too, it's genius.

Buster "Yeah.... Mom's awesome..... do you think we should call her?"

GOB: I've made a huge mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

thanks to those who reccomended this! Halfway through season one, its brilliant!

Tusky wrote:
    thanks to those who reccomended this! Halfway through season one, its brilliant!
    Excellent stuff, isn't it? Glad you're enjoying it! :D

Gotta love Pier Pressure (Hot Cops!). The season finale is damn good as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Two Words: Bob Loblaw
    Everytime I hear that name I just can't help but laugh. :v:

I used to think AD was a crap show, then got a loan of Season 1 off of a friend and watched the whole thing through, been watching ever since :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Cabaal wrote:
    Two Words: Bob Loblaw
    Everytime I hear that name I just can't help but laugh. :v:
    Don't forget the Bob Loblaw Law Blog.

Check out the comments :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Has there been any more news of Showtime buying the show from Fox?
    The last I heard they were actually in talks but that was Dec 14th...
    http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=2670

And you have to be in stupid America to go on the stupid Showtime website, "No Limits!" my asphalt!

Although I'd love them if they rescued AD! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

anyone who aint jumped on the AD bandwagon can do now for the bargain price of 21 euro right here

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=866917&searchtype=genre&id=0&p=57&g=72&adudisc=y&who=&cpage=1&pa=cart&Cur=258

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Any word on when the third season starts on BBC2/TV3?

BopNiblets wrote:
    Has there been any more news of Showtime buying the show from Fox?
    I found the following in a news article about last nights "S.O.B.'s" episode:
    Chris Alexander, a spokesman for 20th Century Fox, which produces the show, said both Showtime and ABC have expressed interest in "Arrested Development," but no deal has yet to be reached.

Both have expressed interest. We might be going places yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

It was cancelled? oh crap, one of my favourites on tv at the minute. When I see my brother watching that kath and kim dvd I nearly make him eat both Arrested Development series in a sandwhich. Cannot understand how people dont find this funny. Hopefully showtime or abc will pick it up and save us from the current comedy hell.

• Advertisement

Well, FOX have put the series on hiatus for the next two weeks to accomodate a double-bill of "House" (well next week anyway, the following Monday's episode may have been postponed for 24's season premiere).

I hate FOX.

It was cancelled? oh crap, one of my favourites on tv at the minute. When I see my brother watching that kath and kim dvd I nearly make him eat both Arrested Development series in a sandwhich. Cannot understand how people dont find this funny. Hopefully showtime or abc will pick it up and save us from the current comedy hell.
    It's not officially cancelled yet, season 3 was just reduced from 22 episodes to 13. Sure, that is a cancellation move right there but who knows what the hell FOX are thinking? I seriously hope Showtime get the show.

"When I see my brother watching that kath and kim dvd I nearly make him eat both Arrested Development series in a sandwhich."
    That made me laugh far more than it ought to have done. It gives me a very amusing (and satisfying) mental image. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Had to resurrect this one.

It's just such a fantastic programme! I was introduced to season 1 on DVD. Now usually when I'm invited to watch something on DVD, I'll watch the odd episode every now and then. But not this time! The only thing that stopped me is that I wanted to prolong the joy! Can't wait to get cracking on Season 3 on DVD. In the meantime, I'll be glued to 3 tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Arrested Development is without doubt one of the funniest shows in years.. it is criminal that the show was axed.. what is it with FOX?? They axe Family Guy (at least that came back), Futurama and now AD.. Tobias is one of the funniest creations ever...

I got the season 3 DVD last month and have been strechting out watchind the episodes.. i just dont want it to end.. I have the last 2 episodes to watch.. maybe i will do that this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Agreed.. hated that as well. Not to mention Charlize Theron being just plain crap.

Season 3 is still funny.. but definitely nowhere as good as the previous 2 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Jilm wrote:
    Don't forget the Bob Loblaw Law Blog.

sounds like the teacher from charlie brown when you say it out loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i loved season three.. really enjoyed the charlize theron story arc
    i loved the way her goodbye note to her uncle was a tracing of her hand and a sad face drawn in the middle.. loved the episode S.O.Bs..

"the home builders organisation won't take us

So HBO don't want us? What now?

well i think it's showtime!

ha ha, oh yeah, analrapist

great show, felt a bit sad when i had watched the last episode. have to go back to season 1 now and start over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

tobias_funke.jpg

I blue myself.

Tobias Funke is a legend :)

Advertisement